La Residence South Africa
Elandskloof Road, Franschhoek, 7690
The Royal Portfolio
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Edward Morton. Since its opening in January 2008, La Residence has become renowned for the warmth and lavishness of its hospitality. Guests from all over the world are moved and delighted by the quality of the service and individual attention they receive. This is due in no small part to Edward Morton, General Manager and head of the ‘La Residence Family’. It is his generosity of spirit, sense of humour and joie de vivre that inspire the staff and touch the hearts of all those who have the good fortune to meet him. In addition, it is his watchful eye that ensures the visual perfection of this most gorgeous and opulent setting. No detail is too insignificant to merit his notice and concern, no issue too mundane for his all-encompassing passion for excellence. Edward started his time at The Royal Portfolio at Royal Malewane before heading to the tranquil valley of Franschhoek.
A 5-star luxury boutique winelands hotel, and a proud member of The Royal Portfolio.
The hotel has soft elements refurbished every year. No structural developments are in the plans.
History & Story
Built in 2008, La Residence is The Royal Portfolio’s winelands experience. Located in the beautiful Franschhoek Valley on a private estate, La Residence sets the benchmark for luxury accommodation in the Cape Winelands.
La Residence is surrounded by vineyards, olive groves and plum orchards, with a spectacular mountain backdrop, breath-taking views of the undulating countryside and an atmosphere of complete tranquillity.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
As with each of The Royal Portfolio’s properties, La Residence’s strength lies in its passionate and expert staff and the personalised experience they can offer each guest. Over and above this, La Residence’s unique character in design make it truly special. Furniture and art from the East and the West. Objet d’art that are new and old are all hand purchased and hand placed by owner, Liz Biden giving the hotel a personalised charm.
Franschhoek is known as the ‘Culinary Capital of South Africa’ and for good reason. Although the list varies year-to-year, up to eight of South Africa’s ‘Top 100’ restaurants are based in the small town of Franschhoek. There are currently three in the Top 10. The wine estates in the area produce some of the best wines in the country from vintage Methode Cap Classique, to old vine white wines and robust reds.
Key sites/activities in the area
Guests can explore various art galleries, museums, markets, or cycle and hike one of the beautiful trails in the area. There are numerous wine tasting and epicurean experiences throughout the valley.
• La Residence produces around 11,000 bottles of wine from the 12 acres under vine every year.
• There are 9 resident peacocks that live on the estate and roam through the vineyards.
• Over 150 works or art can be found throughout La Residence.
• The hotel has springbok and sable antelope on the property
Children under 10 are not allowed in the main hotel. However, our Vineyard Suites at La Residence are ideal for families as they offer space and privacy with ample living areas replete with a variety of games and a large television. Each Vineyard Suite is like a self-contained cottage and there are various layouts to suit just about every sized family. We’ll take care of the kids with fun, interactive activities including our own Junior Masterchef classes baking and decorating cakes and cupcakes.
• Number of suites: 11
The 11 suites at the main hotel are divided into 5 x Superior Suites and 6 x Luxury Suites. The views from the east wing face over the vines and up at the mountain. The views from the west wing face over the dam and down the valley towards the sunset. Each suite is unique is décor and styling but each has a verandah or balcony depending on your floor.
• Number of Villas
There are five villas or vineyards suites. These face into the vines or over the orchards. They spacious with private gardens (some with pools) and allow for guests to come and go without having to see any staff if they didn’t want to.
Restaurants & Bars
In the heart of South Africa’s wine country, the experience at La Residence is focused on fine wine and delicious cuisine.
Executive Chef Lennard Marais oversees the dining experience at La Residence. His cuisine emphasises fresh, local ingredients, many of which are grown on the estate.
Because the cuisine is such an integral part of the experience at La Residence, our guests will often sit down with the chefs to discuss their preferences and dietary requirements with menus being tailored accordingly.
The Spa at La Residence in Franschhoek allows you to indulge your body and senses in an array of pampering treatments either in the tranquil, air-conditioned double treatment room or in the privacy of your own suite or balcony. There is no finer indulgence to round off a day exploring the winelands than a full body massage.
Our beautiful swimming pool offers spectacular views across our vineyards towards the distant mountains.
Corporate & Celebration Events
The Vineyard Venue is an intimate private event space at La Residence that can accommodate up to 40 guests. This magnificent and opulently decorated winelands venue overlooks blossoming plum and peach trees as well as the Wemmershoek mountains from the wrap-around veranda.
The Vineyard Venue is ideal for birthday celebrations, afternoon teas, private lunches and dinners, corporate events or intimate weddings.
The entire hotel can also be used for weddings and grand celebratory lunches or dinners. For this exclusive use is required.
Extra Notable Features
La Residence can assist in organising helicopter wine tours to top, far reaching wine regions or lunch at a beautiful, off the beaten track restaurant. Maybe even just a day trip for lunch to our sister property, Birkenhead House on the coast in Hermanus.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Condé Nast Traveler, Readers’ Choice Awards 2018: #4 Top Hotel in Africa
• Condé Nast Traveler, Readers’ Choice Awards 2018: #16 Top Hotel in the World
• Travel+Leisure Magazine’s World’s Top 100 Hotels in the World 2018
• Travel+Leisure Magazine World’s Best Award: Best Resort Hotel in Africa & The Middle East 2018
• Condé Nast Traveler: Gold List 2018
• Andrew Harper’s Top 100 Hideaways in the World 2017
• Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards: #2 Top Hotels in Africa
• Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards: #7 in the 50 Best Hotels in the World
• Travel+Leisure Magazine World’s Best Award: Best Resort Hotel in Africa 2017
• Top Hotels in Africa and The Middle East: Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards 2016
• Andrew Harper Readers’ Choice Awards: Top 20 Favorite Food & Wine Resorts 2016
• Travel+Leisure Magazine World’s Best Award: Best Resort Hotel in Africa & The Middle East 2017
• Recognition of Excellence by HotelsCombined 2016
Conde Nast Traveler Gold List: Country Hotels Category 2016
• Top 25 Luxury Hotels in South Africa – Tripadvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards 2016
• Condé Nast Traveller Top 25 Hotels in Africa: Readers’ Choice Awards 2015
• SA’s Best Boutique Hotel – House and Leisure | Best of SA awards 2015
Number of employees