Alila Kothaifaru Maldives Maldives
Alila Kothaifaru Maldives
Kothaifaru Island, Raa Atoll
Destination by Hyatt
Ballentine Pvt., Ltd.
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Thomas Weber – General Manager
In 2003, Thomas took up his first general manager post at Kurland Hotel and Poloclub in Plettenberg Bay, South Africa, subsequently moving into the same role with Mövenpick Jeddah Al Nawras in Saudi Arabia, Mövenpick Hotel & Spa Bangalore in India, and Oberwaid in St Gallen, Switzerland. Then came the start of his journey in the Maldives, as regional General Manager for Diamonds Athuruga and Thudufushi Maldives in 2016—adding Sandies Bathala Maldives to his responsibilities in 2018—and Dusit Thani Maldives in 2019.
5 star luxury
Alila Kothaifaru Maldives
History & Story
Designed at one with nature, surrounded by a stunning house reef in the scenic Raa Atoll, Alila Kothaifaru Maldives offers serenity and discovery in an awe-inspiring destination embraced by nature’s wonders. The resort’s elegant minimalist architecture unfolds in terraced layers integrated into the natural surroundings to preserve a sense of intimacy and provide total privacy for each of the 80 all-pool beach and water villas while being open to awe-inspiring views. Against the quiet backdrop of the island’s lush vegetation, the low-rise pavilions and villas cascade gradually, creating the experience of living in a garden and looking out towards the ocean.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• The Shack, a private sandbank: The eco-minimalist architecture featuring an overwater restaurant.
• The tranquil SPA Alila whose elevation amidst the leafy canopy provides natural privacy screening for guests in the spa suites.
• Natural Island Retreat: The resort is built around the island’s natural landscape, conserving up to 70% of the existing vegetation and the maximum number of native trees.
• Maduvvaree Island, Raa Atoll;
Keys sites / activities in the area
• Nature’s Wonders in The Raa Atoll. Home to few inhabited islands, the peaceful and unspoiled Raa Atoll is a hidden gem offering a large variety and abundance of marine life for snorkelling and diving.
• Vaadhoo Island, one of the best spots to witness the spectacular “Sea of Stars” phenomenon, an extraordinary sight to behold.
• Diving Havens – 10-15 minutes away from the resort, divers can explore untouched reefs with healthy coral and enjoy some of the most incredible thila dives the Maldives has to offer. The thilas (underwater pinnacles) are extremely healthy, unaffected by any bleaching events.
Enriching Cultural Experiences;
Guests can enrich their stay with carefully curated Alila Journeys, interactive experiences that have a positive impact, broaden horizons, and provide an opportunity to understand the cultural roots of the Maldives and local daily life.
• The Art of Coconut
• A Day in the Life of a Maldivian
• Maldivian cuisine cooking class
• Maldivian storytelling narrated by an Alila ambassador
• Dhivehi – a Maldivian language class
• Play Alila: A dedicated play space for our young guests, keeping them entertained and engaged with toys, games and fun, supervised indoor and outdoor activities.
• Number of suites: 44 beachfront villas and 36 overwater villas
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 80 keys
Restaurants & Bars
The resort’s all-day dining beachside main restaurant, Seasalt, serves coastal Mediterranean cuisine with Middle Eastern influences. Not to be missed are the restaurant’s signature salt-baked fish dishes, which feature homemade sea salt produced by the culinary team. Mirus Bar offers a poolside menu and drinks, including eight island-inspired signature cocktails, such as the must-try Chili Margarita and Coconut Aged Negroni. Enjoy a mouthwatering Japanese-inspired menu at Umami restaurant, which also features a signature live teppanyaki with a premium selection of organically grown vegetables, Wagyu beef, and sustainably sourced fish and seafood. The adjoining Yakitori Bar is the perfect place to indulge in sundowners with its sake-based signature drinks. Indulge in comfort food, coffee, and juices at Pibati, a beachside café that satisfies your daytime cravings. As a highlight, don’t miss the experience at the resort’s private sandbank restaurant, The Shack. This includes a picnic-style lunch and a 4-hour evening trip with a private chef to cook up a sunset BBQ.
Executive Chef: Rohit Pushpavanam
• Spa Alila: Experience inner peace and be pampered in our tranquil treetop spa, cocooned amidst the leafy canopy with the lush surroundings. Spa Alila features four double treatment suites, all with a private bathroom, shower and a floor-to-ceiling window offering views.
• Guests can also enjoy a complimentary daily yoga session in a tranquil outdoor space within the spa.
• 24-hour fitness center and a beachfront infinity pool.
Corporate & Celebration Events
N/A for MICE, resort available for wedding and special events
Extra Notable Features
• Alila Living (Lifestyle boutique)
• Games Room
• Yoga Space
• Water Sports and Dive Centre
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• The World’s Best New Luxury Hotels of 2022 by LTI – Luxury Travel Intelligence
• Condé Nast Traveller’s 2023 Hot List: The Best New Hotels in the World and the Best New Beach Hotels in the World
• Asia travel: 15 of the best hotels to visit right now by NZ Herald
• Best hotels in the Maldives by The TIMES UK
• Awarded EarthCheck Design certification from EarthCheck
Number of employees