Pamalican Island Cuyo
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Ms. Audeline Witjaksono
5-star Luxury resort
History & Story
Amanpulo opened in December 1993 as the seventh Aman property. The Filipino word Pulo (island), was combined with the Sanskrit word aman, to mean ‘peaceful island’. It is a private island located in the peaceful Cuyo Archipelago of northern Palawan, Philippines. Pamalican Island, home to Amanpulo, has a length of a mere 2.5 kilometers and is set in the middle of a 7-square-kilometer coral reef. In local dialect, pamalican means ‘a place to return or to keep coming back’. The enchanting lure of the island is intricately woven into its history. Families of the nearby island Manamoc visited Pamalican frequently then to cultivate the land, and they would bring back with them hundreds of turtle and tabon bird eggs. In the 70s, a family of avid sailors who cane to own the island was drawn to Pamalican when a storm forced them to seek refuge in Manamoc. In 1985, a partnership with Adrian Zecha, Aman’s founder and visionary, was formed and Amanpulo was conceived. Designed by National Artist for Architecture Francisco Mañosa, every aspect of the resort is deeply rooted in Filipino culture.
• 2014 – Refurbishment of Casitas (rooms) and some villas
• 2015 – Construction of eight new villas Architect, Angelo Manosa
Date added extensions
• 2010 – Aman Spa
• 2015 – Amanpulo North West Villas
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• Exclusive private island with its own airstrip, accessible only via private flights from Manila. With only 42 Casitas and 18 Villas, guests are immersed in a secluded hideaway in a world all their own.
• A paradisiacal private island of unspoiled tropical wilderness, fringed by the white sand beach and turquoise waters, it oﬀers back-to-nature experiences in supreme comfort and privacy.
• Protecting the island and its neighboring communities are at the heart of Amanpulo, taking sustainability to the forefront through sustainable operations, employment of local staff, and marine conservation.
Located 360 kilometers south of Manila, Amanpulo is blissfully marooned in the waters of Palawan, renowned to have the best beaches in the world. It is accessible via scheduled flights from Manila and chartered flights from key locations across the Philippines.
Key sites/activities in the area
Life is shaped by the presence of the sea in Amanpulo. The sandy bottom lagoon and calm waters surrounding the island make it ideal for various water sports activities, including the seasonal freediving throughout the year, and kitesurfing in the months of December to March. Swim with centuries-old sea turtles right offshore, a PADI Dive Centre equips guests to explore life underwater.
Pamalican is a nesting site for hawksbill, olive ridley, and green sea turtle. Females come up to the beach to lay their eggs during the nesting season of March to October, and hatchlings emerge and make their way to the sea from November to February. Amanpulo’s marine biologist leads the protection of these endangered species.
The Kid’s Lounge is available on request, and has a selection of toys, books, movies, board games, puzzles, and musical instruments, as well as an outdoor playground. During peak holiday periods, scheduled children’s activities like nature walk, coconut leaf art, and movie nights are complimentary for families to enjoy.
Ensconced within the tropical scenery, Amanpulo’s Casitas and Villas fulfill the promise of a secluded hideaway.
Each Casita features sliding glass doors that reveal expansive decks, and cover an area of at least 68 square meters.
• 29 Beach Casitas each have private paths that lead to the shore
• 4 Treetop Casitas are discreetly mounted on highland
• 6 Hillside Casitas are tucked into the emerald green forest
• 1 Deluxe Hillside Casita offers stunning panoramic views of the sea
• 2 Treetop Pool Casitas offer the luxury of a private plunge pool
Villas are beachfront hideaway homes that cover an area of up to 6,996 square meters. The Casitas are set around a private swimming pool, living and dining pavilions, and expansive decks. All Villas include the service of a dedicated butler and chef. With their expansive facades, guests may indulge in the solitude of their very own private beachfront
• 7 Four-Bedroom Lagoon Villas face the east and offer sunrise views
• 6 Four-Bedroom Palawan Villas face the west and offer sunset views
• 1 Three-Bedroom Villa basks under the shade of towering trees
• 3 Two-Bedroom Villas are perfect for small families
• 1 One-Bedroom Villa features an alfresco living and dining pavilion
Restaurants & Bars
• Clubhouse Restaurant – With the option of indoor seating on high back rattan chairs or at the terrace with a view of the pool, the Clubhouse is open for all-day dining. Southeast Asian-inspired dishes are on the menu, including well-loved Filipino favorites. Situated in a corner is a cosy bar with top-shelf selection of spirits and cigars.
• Beachclub – Situated facing east where the sea meets the shore, its open-air pavilion and shaded outdoor deck provides a gateway to a day at sea or a respite from the warmth of the sun. The Beachclub offers Mediterranean specialties, with a bar that serves delicious sundowner drinks.
• Lagoon Club – Set on the western shore, the Lagoon Club welcomes guests seasonally and oﬀers a menu of Japanese-inspired dishes.
• Nama at the Lagoon Club – The Lagoon Club is also home to Nama, another seasonal oﬀering, serving guests with reﬁned Japanese washoku cuisine paired with premium sake in the evenings.
• Picnic Grove – For a casual lunch on the beach, the Picnic Grove is open seasonally and serves wood-fired artisanal pizza and home-made sorbets.
• Private Dining – Private barbecues may be organised in various breathtaking locations on the beachfront, on a cliff at Gary’s Nest, in romantic salas, and more. Guests can also take picnic baskets to island hopping trips or a visit to the sandbar. Exquisite dishes served in vessels of handmade glass are delivered to guests who wishes to enjoy the private space of their Casita.
The Aman is Spa is nestled on the northern hillside, situated at the highest point of the island. An epitome of balance and tranquility, the Aman Spa is enveloped by ﬂourishing treetops, embracing the space with a rare sense of nature’s calm. Drawing inspiration from ancient healing methods compounded with modern science, the Aman Spa honors the traditions of natural wellness that have survived for centuries. Each stand-alone spa pavilion is fitted with a changing area, steam shower and deep-soaking bathtub.
With a holistic approach to wellness, the Aman Spa also houses ﬁtness facilities. The ﬁtness pavilion has a yoga studio, a fully equipped gym, a Pilates pavilion, hydrotherapy suites, outdoor relaxation areas, including a ﬁnishing salon. Four synthetic grass courts are available for private use. Fitness and wellness specialists are on hand to provide full guidance, bespoke to the guest’s needs.
• The yoga and meditation Pavilion:
Enjoy beautiful views of the island and sea from the specious area. The pavilion is available for private or group classes.
• The Fitness Pavilion:
The top floor houses an airy gymnasium with state-of-the-art equipment. An external staircase leads to the Pilates Studio, which offers Allegro Reformers. On the lower floor is the Aman Spa Wet Rooms; steam rooms, cold plunge pools and outdoor relaxation verandas.
The four synthetic grassed courts are floodlit and are available with rest pavilions for refreshments.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Wedding Blessing – Renew your vows on the beach with a sentimental, non-binding ceremony performed by a wedding official. Wedding blessings include a guitar serenade, champagne, wedding cake for two people, a decorated wedding car and an island flower bouquet.
• West Villa Clubhouse – The elegant space comprises a lobby, a meeting room, and a convivial dining room and bar. The swimming pool and deck can be booked for the exclusive use of groups of up to 70 persons. Equipped with audio-visual equipment, the meeting room seats 20 persons for board meetings and 40 theatre-style.
• Picnic Grove – Guests can enjoy evening festivities with sand between their toes and a canopy of stars overhead. The beachfront venue is ideal for private dinner functions or cocktail events.
• Runway – Dinner banquets set on the Amanpulo runway elevate events to truly once-in-a-lifetime celebrations. With the immensity of the private space, the sky is the limit for creative event executions.
Extra Notable Features
• Sea Sports Hut – Enjoy a plethora of water sports equipment, from stand-up paddleboards to clear bottom kayak boats to catamarans, independently or with the guidance of a specialist.
• Sailing Adventures – Explore the waters onboard a pontoon and cruise around the island under the sunshine or towards the sunset. Learn traditional Filipino fishing in an expedition with a local.
• Scuba Diving – Amanpulo’s PADI Dive Centre offers courses from introductory to advanced levels. All equipment is provided including underwater lights and digital cameras.
• Kite and Surf Centre – Open seasonally during the Amihan monsoon season, the Kite and Surf Centre is fully equipped with world-class kitesurf equipment and internationally certified instructors.
• Organic Farm – The flourishing 2,000 square meter space is cared for by a dedicated team of gardeners headed by a resident horticulturist. The garden is composed of fruit and vegetable growing areas and greenhouses, a flower farm, and an ornamental nursery. Daily harvest is used in the restaurants, and guests are invited to visit for a personal tour.
• Rewarding Experiences – Guests are invited to enjoy activities that contribute directly to conservation efforts and the local community. Join the marine biologist for private guided marine tours, and learn about the coral rehabilitation program. Indulge in the Pag-Asa (meaning hope) Massage at the Aman Spa, a treatment that directs part of its proceeds to Manamoc Island’s health center.
The Gallivanter’s Guide UK – Best Ever Resort Hotel Worldwide
The Gallivanter’s Guide UK – Top 3 Best Resort in Southeast Asia
World Travel Awards – Asia’s Leading Private Island Resort, Philippines’ Leading Luxury Hotel Villa and Philippines’ Leading Private Island Resort
World Spa Awards – Philippines’ Best Resort Spa
Travel + Leisure: World’s Best Awards: one of the top Resort Hotels in SE Asia.
Haper’s Bazaar Travel Guide: The 100 Greatest Hotels in the World: The Best Island (#1)
Conde Nast Traveller’s Gold List 2019 issue – Private Pools
Number of employees