SANGHA RETREAT BY OCTAVE INSTITUTE Greater China
SANGHA Retreat by OCTAVE Institute
199 Yangheng Ring Road, Suzhou, Jiangsu Province
Frederick Tsao, Owner and Founder, privately owned
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Managing Director, Hospitality: Eddy Ram brings a combined 26 years of experience in the hospitality space.
The property was built and opened to the domestic China market in 2017 and launched to the West in 2019.
Sangha Retreat by Octave Institute
History & Story
Located west of Shanghai on the outskirts of Suzhou, China, SANGHA Retreat combines Eastern philosophies backed by Western science to help people awaken to a life of greater purpose and personal wellbeing. With a focus on raising consciousness, it has been created for the need of our time by visionary Fred Tsao, fourth-generation shipping magnate and family business steward.
The 47-acre retreat, designed by Tsao & McKown, includes AT ONE guest suites; AT ONE Clinic, offering comprehensive wellness assessments and wellbeing programs; AT ONE Healing Spa with extensive spa treatment menu and hydrotherapy circuit; THOUGHT FOR FOOD restaurant; and the LIVING HABITS Practice Calendar, offering daily group activities and classes in the fully-equipped gym, movement studios, sound and meditation domes and connection rooms. Activities are scheduled to align with the body’s circadian rhythms throughout the day.
Suzhou, China, known as the “Venice of the East”
Key sites/activities in the area
Suzhou is one of the oldest cities in the Yangtze Basin, dating back 2500 years. It is home to thousand-year-old temples; water towns with canals and boats; classical gardens, nine of which are on the UNESCO World Heritage List; restaurants famous for local fish, vegetables and Suzhou noodles; and shops renowned for high-quality silk and embroidery.
Choose from lakefront suites or private-access spa suites at the AT ONE Hotel, as well as free-standing villas.
• 60 AT ONE Suites
– 41 (570-sq-ft) Junior Suites with King beds, living area and balcony
– 13 (570-sq-ft) Junior Suites with double beds, living area and balcony
– 3 (915-sq-ft) Spa Suites with direct elevator access to the AT ONE Healing Spa. Spa Suites feature separate living area, Thai massage bed, outdoor deck, and chromotherapy shower with needle and rain shower heads and steam.
– 2 (1,420-sq-ft) One-Bedroom Lakeview Premier Suites
– 1 (2,130-sq-ft) Two-Bedroom Lakeview Penthouse (1 king and 1 bedroom with 2 queens)
• 8 AT ONE Villas
– 7 (4,300-sq-ft) 4-bedroom lakeside villas
– 1 (8,600-sq-ft) 7-bedroom lakeside villa
Amenities designed for a good night’s sleep:
• Quartz crystal mandalas under each bed
• Curved ceilings
• Egyptian cotton bedding, allergen-free woven rugs
• Pillow menu
• Bedside lighting panel and motion-activated lights
• Turndown wellness surprises
• Filtered water replenished daily in glass bottles
• 8 BY OCTAVE signature line of gentle bath product
Restaurants & Bars
THOUGHT FOR FOOD restaurant in AT ONE hotel
Overseen by Michelin-trained Executive Chef Paul Then, the curated THOUGHT FOR FOOD culinary program offers the best of taste and nutrition. In collaboration with the in-house nutritionist, a customized culinary journey is created for each guest using responsibly-sourced ingredients. Located in AT ONE Hotel, the restaurant features an open working kitchen and windows with a view of Yangcheng Lake. Eastern and Western recipes are complemented by an array of beverages, juices, and teas.
• AT ONE Healing Spa: The AT ONE Healing Spa optimizes mind, body and spiritual balance through treatments designed to restore and rejuvenate. The stunning 65,000-sq-ft subterranean spa features living green walls, skylights, and a “transformation tunnel” leading to wet areas, treatment rooms, rhassoul and hamman chambers, watsu pool and a 12-step hydrothermal spa circuit.
• LIVING HABITS Practice Calendar: A calendar of daily group activities and classes in the fully-equipped gym, movement studios, sound and meditation domes and connection rooms. Private one-on-one or small group classes can be arranged on request. Activities are scheduled to align with the body’s circadian rhythms throughout the day:
– Gym, cardio, resistance, free weights, circuit
– Pilates, Gyrotonics, Thai Boxing, core-strength training
– Harmonious movement through dance, yoga and tai-chi
– Sound healing and meditation
– Creative living, expressed in culinary, handiwork, and calligraphy classes
– Mindfulness classes to train the mind and increase awareness
– Topical and seasonal wellness talks on stress management, longevity and women’s health
• AT ONE Clinic: A wellness center of international standards founded on Western and Chinese integrated and functional treatments, the clinic offers holistic health and lifestyle solutions to balance and integrate the mind, body and spirit. Comprehensive wellness assessments determine each guest’s personalized program to address the six habits of life: eating, breathing, sleeping, movement, thinking and awareness.
– An international team of doctors
– Comprehensive wellness assessments
– Customized wellbeing programs
– Traditional Chinese Medicine evaluation and treatments
– Detoxification and cleansing programs
– Anti-aging programs
– Breath therapy
– Sleep therapy
– Post-visit follow ups to support and sustain lifestyle changes
Corporate & Celebration Events
The VILLAGE: A live-work-learn community with spaces for communal learning, executive retreats, conferences, summits and festivals. The VILLAGE is a place for collective exploration and learning.
• THOUGHT FOR FOOD Market: A 27,000-sq-ft market and food hall with myriad cooking stations, cafe, bakery, wine cellar, and culinary school.
• Market Plaza, a sunken, open-air quad at the center of the VILLAGE for learning and social events including farmers’ markets, art and music festivals, fitness and wellness learning forums, carnivals and parties.
• Town Hall, a 5,500-sq-ft column-free space with 19-ft-high ceilings, featuring 270-degree LED screens, state-of-the-art sound and lighting for custom events.
• The Gallery, a private space for art exhibits and contemplation by guests.
• THE SANCTUARY, a meditative space suitable for special events such as weddings, ceremonies and meetings.
• Family Learning Center, a 40,000-sq-ft specialized platform to support the evolution and growth of families through mindful practices combined with creativity through arts, drama, music and meditation.
• FELLOW TRAVELLER, a group learning space with 47 bedrooms, designed in clusters of eight bedrooms sharing a lounge. Nine meeting rooms (flexible in size and functionality, suitable for small group or breakout sessions) and a 144-seat auditorium support experiential learning, workshops and lectures.
• SANGHA Residence, contemporary, 667-sq-ft to 990-sq-ft, one- to two-bedroom serviced apartment suites for families and groups who stay for longer periods or prefer the comfort of an apartment to support their family or group learning.
Extra Notable Features
Sound Healing & Meditation Dome: A healing dome built with precise dimensions to radiate the energy captured from the rising sun. The dome sits on quartz crystals for a unique sound healing and meditation experience.
Number of employees
270 (On peak)