Sofitel Baru Calablanca Beach Resort Colombia
Sofitel Baru Calablanca Beach Resort
Sector Porto Nao km 7 Isla de Barú, Cartagena de Indias, Colombia
PEI, Grupos Argos, Arquitectura y Concreto
Date of Creation
28th october 2022
Hotel General Manager:
5 star Luxury resort
Sofitel Baru Calablanca Beach Resort
History & Story
Located 25 minutes from the city of Cartagena and separated by the Dique Canal, the resort is nestled amid the natural beauty and cultural richness on the island of Barú and features 187 beautiful and modern rooms–including a presidential suite and 22 suites–all with balconies and terraces, facing the Caribbean Sea.
Three restaurants one foodtruck and seven bars, all under the unique culinary direction of the French chef, Patrice Guaus, offer diverse experiences and cuisines. These include Calablanca Restaurant and Bar, which features traditional Colombian and Mediterranean cuisines accompanied by ancestral techniques and farm-to-table ingredients, and the dinner-only Humo Restaurant and Bar that has a robata grill concept inspiredby Japanese, Chinese, Thai, French and Peruvian cuisines. Guests can also enjoy cocktails and conversation throughout several social spaces including the lively Lobby Lounge which offers an extensive list of classic spirits; La Pérgola, the resort’s rooftop terrace bar that is the perfect place to watch Barú’s colorful sunsets; and three poolside bars.
The european market is key for our destination, Therefore, we carry out prospecting actions with agencies, we participate in travel shows and sales missions in that market, we have the support of our hotel french chain Accor, to do sales calls to the different travel advisors.
Sofitel Barú Calablanca Beach Resort officially opens its doors on December 1, 2021
Date Added Extansions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
It is the first and only hotel in Barú and in the Colombian Caribbean to have LEED certification, recognized worldwide for sustainable construction. This endorsement demonstrates the hotel’s commitment to achieve a sustainable and environmentally friendly operation.
Additional property features include a world-class spa encompassing four cabins where treatments and rituals engage the body and mind, as well as a sauna, Turkish bath, and yoga room for wellbeing and relaxation. A robust convention center with six rooms that have all the latest technology make meetings and events a success, while the destination’s unique landscapes in a paradise of a turquoise blue sea and white sand beaches also make it the perfect location to celebrate weddings. And a vibrant and engaging Kid’s Club ensures families are welcome and little ones guided through exciting activities.
The resort works closely with its local community to offer a creative lineup of immersive experiences that reflect the island’s unique identity and heritage–from braid and sombrero workshops to music classes and local artist exhibits. For adventure-seekers, various locally-curated recreational activities are offered such as bicycle tours, ecological walking tours, bioluminescent plankton outings, catamaran tours, paddle and snorkeling experiences, scuba diving.
Additional guest experiences : Oceanarium, National Aviary, Floating gatronomy, The F&B mystique dinner at the beach, cinema under the stars and more.
The property is located on Barú Island, 25 minutes by sea from the city of Cartagena.
• Number of suites:
• 22 luxurious suites, measuring from 645.8 sq. ft
• Number of Luxury rooms:
• 9 rooms each measuring 430.5 sq. ft.,
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all:
•The property has in total 187 beautiful and modern rooms ; the main inventory is the superior room : 155 rooms each measuring 430.5 sq. ft.
Kid’s Club ensures families are welcome and little ones guided through exciting activities, the little ones have activities all day long, children’s pool and games on the beach.
Restaurants & Bars
• Calablanca Restaurant : traditional Colombian and Mediterranean cuisines
• Bahia Restaurant : Cold and raw dishes such as salads, ceviche or crudos are fresh and light. Cooked dishes such grilled fish, charred beef, and roasted vegetables are prepared on our slow-cooking grill.
• Humo Restaurant : dinner-only, has a robata grill concept inspiredby Japanese, Chinese, Thai, French and Peruvian cuisines.
• El manglito- Foodtruck : includes traditional Caribbean fritters, fresh catch of the day, as well as lighter meals such as quinoa salads and a variety of guacamoles.
• La pergola- rooftop : the resort’s rooftop terrace bar that is the perfect place to watch Barú’s colorful sunsets
• Lobby Lounge bar : Our lobby lounge design is bright and airy offering a breathtaking view of the Calablanca Bahia. Our extensive spirits list offers classic and unique cocktails as well as curated wines in the lobby,
• La plage bar : Our beach bar faces the ocean as well as the three lower-level pool areas of the resort
Corporate & Celebrations events
• Kalamari Meeting room : Capacity of 180 people in Auditorium.
• Carex Meeting Room : Capacity of 90 people in Auditorium.
• Wayuu Meeting Board : Capacity of 10 people in round table.
• Mokana Meeting Board : Capacity of 10 people in round table.
Extra Notables Features
• Yoga space in the Fitness center. Yoga trainer by request and subject to availability.
• Cooking Class with one of our Chefs. Subject to availability
• Cinema Under the stars: a cinema setup on the beach for families.
• Nautical activities: Scuba diving, Plankton, Snorkeling, Mangroves tour, Paddle, Kayak, among others.
• Turban and Braid Workshop with the community.
Hotel and Restaurant Awards
• March 2022: LEED Certification (sustainability certification)
• May 2022: Hot List Winner awarded by Condé Nast Traveler (https://lnkd.in/e2RMZ5p8)
• September 2022: South America’s Leading New Hotel 2022 awarded by the World Travel Awards (https://lnkd.in/dpwJBZsD)
• October 2022: #6 Best Resorts in South America awarded by Condé Nast Traveler’s Readers’ Choice Awards 2022 (https://lnkd.in/gVSFxCmb)
• October 2022: Best New Luxury Resort in South America 2022 awarded by the Luxury Lifestyle Awards (https://lnkd.in/e5fpsbsN)
• October 2022: Best New Luxury Hotel in South America 2022 awarded by the Luxury Hotel Awards (https://lnkd.in/g6ybJw_p)
Number of Employees