Palazzo di Varignana Italy
Palazzo di Varignana
Via Ca’ Masino 611/A, 40024 Castel san Pietro Terme, Bologna
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Vittorio Morelli studied at the training centre of CIGA Hotels in Venice and has since acquired extensive experience in luxury hotellerie. After Principe di Savoia in Milan, the St.Regis in Rome and Hotel Excelsior in Naples, Vittorio was named Deputy GM at the Bernini Bristol in Rome, before being appointed GM of the Brufani Palace in Perugia and later the Grand Hotel Parkers in Naples. In 2009, Baglioni hired him as GM of the Relais Santa Croce and later the Due Torri in Verona. Mr. Morelli works at Palazzo di Varignana since the first opening in 2013
4-STAR SUPERIOR RESORT
Palazzo di Varignana opened in 2013 with an hospitality project that featured 90 rooms, a congress center, two restaurants and a 2500sqm of wellness area. In the last 8 years the estate has grown and nowadays it features 150 rooms including 15 suites, 4 restaurants, 7 external pools, a 4000sqm of wellness area, a brand new medical center, 6 luxury villas
PALAZZO DI VARIGNANA
History & Story
Enveloped by the magic quiet of the Bolognese hills, the resort overlooks the town from which it takes its name. The heart of the Resort is Palazzo Bentivoglio, a country castle dating back to 1705, renovated respecting the charm of its history. The main historic building is surrounded by a contemporary village built in stone, according to a coherent and harmonious architecture with the surrounding landscape. Around the complex extend 30 hectares of land divided between vast green spaces, parks, water sources and breathtaking views. These join the land of the farm, which in its 500 hectares produces ground-to-table products.
At the beginning of 2022 the Property renovated the two Vital Suites, an emblem of pure well-being with the most complete getaway from everyday life thanks to a private spa of 22 square meters. A pleasant retreat immersed in the light that filters through the many windows, balconies, or the patio, combining the utmost relaxation with versatile spaces.
Date added extensions
In September 2022 there hotel opened an executive building with 22 suites & rooms. The new Executive rooms offer guests a full immersion into relaxation and beauty, combining the elegance and spaciousness of the interiors with a spectacular panoramic view of the almond groves of the nearby Rio Rosso vegetable garden which extend as far as the eye can see.
In July 2022 the external area of Varsana SPA opened a new pool with a large private solarium
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• Palazzo di Varignana is an enchanting resort just 30-minute drive from the art city of Bologna, the capital of the Emilia-Romagna region in Northern Italy, which is home to the magical UNESCO World Heritage site, The Arches of Bologna. On top of our strategic geographical position., our main USP are:
• 75-acre estate enveloped by botanical landscaped gardens, farmland, vineyards, and olive trees with several wellness trails
• Six new villas close to the resort – ranging from four to six rooms and perfect for families, friends and larger groups celebrating milestone occasions
• The property boosts its wellness offering with a new health programs of 3, 7 or 14 nights which focuses on personalised treatments
• The farm was founded in 2015 and since then, the property has cultivated olives and grapes. The high-quality produce has led to homemade products sold in the shop as well as a farm-to-table concept in all three restaurants
The city of Bologna is only 25 kilometers away. The enchanting city of Bologna, the capital of the Emilia-Romagna region in Northern Italy, which is home to the magical UNESCO World Heritage site, The Porticoes of Bologna.
Guided tours and food tours to the local markets can be arranged by the resort. The Food and Motor Valley is about 50 minutes away and worth a visit. Just 15 minutes by car from the resort we find the beautiful medieval village of Dozza, entirely frescoed with an important castle in which a cellar has been created. Furthermore Ravenna, Ferrara and San Marino are easily reachable.
Key sites/activities in the area
Our guests can benefit from numerous activities, from oil and wine tastings in our cellar, to Nordic walking, cycling and walks in the ornamental gardens. We also have a brand new golf driving range with 10 positions, and a gym that is always open together with the beautiful 4,000 m2 Varsana Spa with 7 swimming pools.
We invite our guests to discover the secret treasures of Palazzo di Varignana, the important sculptures scattered along the avenues and inside the gardens or the beautiful Wunderkammer which, as the name implies, is a real chamber of wonders. The Garden of Villa Amagioia inside the resort is part of the very important network Grandi Giardini Italiani, our guests can relax walking in the garden and enjoy the splendid adjacent labyrinth.
• At Palazzo di Varignana’s Varsana spa children are welcome every morning from 9am to 1pm and one of the 7 external pools is dedicated to them.
• Kids club is open in the summer time from 9.30am to 6 pm
• Cooking classes are available all year, together with tours of the labyrinth and an outdoor playground.
• Number of suites: 15
• Number of Luxury rooms: 68
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 150
• Standard (23-25 sqm): Ideal for a pleasant break from everyday life, our Standard Rooms offer comfort and privacy in an environment decorated with a contemporary style and natural colors that blend in with the splendid surrounding nature of the Bolognese countryside.
• Superior (25-35 sqm): Spacious and illuminated by large windows, our Superior Rooms offer a comfortable and quiet stay. The soft tones of the interiors and the simple elegance of the furnishings create an intimate and enveloping atmosphere.
• Deluxe (30-35 sqm): A linear fusion between the interior and exterior characterizes the furnishings of the Deluxe Rooms with a view. Natural materials and warm colors, masterfully combined in large spaces, receive the natural light that comes from the balconies, which offer a stunning view.
Room amenities (in all): 40 » LED TV with SKY and Pay TV, minibar, self controllerd air conditioning / heating, LAN and WLAN, SPA kit (bathrobe, slippers), bathroom with walk-in shower, towels and toiletries, hairstyling tools, safe for laptop and / or tablet, writing table with chair and table lamp, international plug sockets, Nespresso coffee machine, wardrobe with cloth hangers, shoe rack, luggage rack, shoe shine, laundry bag, fully stocked mini-bar (on charge), room service (on charge), 24h guest reception, outdoor/indoor private parking.
Deluxe Executive (30 sqm + terrace): Superior category rooms with a classic contemporary style furnished with precious details and materials: from the capitonné faux leather used for the headboards of the beds, to the velvets covering sommiers and sofas to the light gold wall sconces.
Deluxe Prestige (42 sqm): Our Deluxe Prestige Rooms are the ideal choice for those looking for privacy in a refined setting. Warm and bright colors, stylish furnishings, parquet floor, and large windows make the environment luminous and cozy, in perfect harmony between the interior and exterior.
Executive Junior Suite (43 sqm): Our elegant Executive Junior Suites offer a comfortable and bright environment perfect for a relaxing wellness stay. Some rooms also have a stunning view from the balcony overlooking the hills in which the resort is immersed.
One Bedroom Suite (50 sqm + terraces): The natural tones of the interiors blend in with the landscape over which the large windows look, embellishing the One Bedroom Suite. The large living room makes the suite an ideal place for convivial family events or coveted moments of pure luxury.
Vital SPA Suite (58 sqm): Our Vital Suites are an emblem of pure well-being and offer the most complete getaway from everyday life thanks to a private spa of 22 square meters. A pleasant retreat immersed in the light that filters through the many windows, balconies, or the patio, combining the utmost relaxation with versatile spaces.
Family Room (50-60 sqm): Our spacious Family Connecting Rooms have been specially designed to fully meet the needs and expectations of families traveling with children, for an extra pleasant and comfortable stay with a particular focus on privacy.
Executive Suite (60 sqm + terrace): The Executive Suites give guests an experience full of relaxation and beauty, combining the elegance and spaciousness of the interior spaces with the spectacular panoramic view of the 20-square-meter terrace over the almond groves of the Rio Rosso Garden Garden Garden.
Presidential Suite (76 sqm): For the most demanding guests, the Presidential Suite is a full-fledged apartment of 76 square meters, the perfect synthesis of design, comfort, and style. With a prime position in the resort, modern and refined furnishings, a large and bright environment, parquet floor, and large windows, this luxurious suite ensures an elegant and classy stay. The flat is equipped with a sitting room and a sauna that connects the bedroom with the main terrace of 20 square meters which also houses a Jacuzzi.
Restaurants & Bars
• Il Grifone Restaurant: The charm and timeless beauty of Palazzo Bentivoglio characterize the most sophisticated culinary corner of the resort: the Il Grifone restaurant. The original gourmet dishes prepared at Il Grifone are the result of a careful and wise interpretation of the tradition combined with creative cuisine and locally-sourced ingredients. The choice of food pairings is meticulous and can satisfy the most demanding palates while respecting the original taste of the products and their nutritional properties.
Chef Francesco Manograsso
• Treno Reale – Carrozza Ristorante: The authentic vintage coach, dating back to 1921, hosts the new restaurant of the resort in a real prototype of the royal train that, after decades of neglect, has come back to life evoking its splendor and atmosphere. The Treno Reale – Carrozza Ristorante offer a refined and elegant cuisine that accompanies guests on an original culinary journey that celebrates the historical period and the routes of the Royal Train, starting with a skillful search for excellent raw materials.
• Aurevo Restaurant: The Aurevo restaurant is a tribute to our extra virgin olive oil, the « green gold » of these lands, and the soul of our contemporary and sustainable cuisine. Aurevo is a place of passionate research and expression of an authentic food and wine offer, where the combination of respect for seasonality and the authenticity of the short supply chain gives shape every day to the exciting encounter of tradition and modernity.
The wood-fired oven combined with the expert hands of our master pizza maker offer the guests of the resort home-made pizzas with a unique taste (available for dinner only on Friday and Saturday).
Available in Full Board or Half Board meal plans
• Trattoria Le Marzoline: Flour, eggs, a rolling pin, and expert hands. These are the authentic ingredients of the Le Marzoline trattoria’s cuisine. The chefs employ local products respecting the identity of the local area and the seasonal availability of ingredients to offer guests all the taste of the Emilia-Romagna culinary tradition while celebrating ancient rituals handed down through generations by the arzdore, the women of the house.
• Lounge Bar: With its wonderful outdoor terraces overlooking the endless hills that surround the resort, the lounge bar is a profusion of design, style, and creativity. The perfect place to enjoy delicious aperitifs in full relaxation or a « happy hour » in pleasant company, the lounge bar, thanks to its large offering of cocktails, is a great place where you can gather with friends after work, after dinner, or during the weekend. This charming and cozy bar can also show its other soul, turning into a location for events and business meetings.
• Pool Bar: In the summer season, while alternating swims in the pool and naps on the sun loungers, the informal atmosphere of the pool bar is ideal for those who want to have a light salad or a quick snack while relaxing by the pool.
• Green Bar: next to our Olive Pool, the Green Bar is ideal corner where guests can enjoy a refreshing break
• Varsana Spa: The wellness center offers a multisensory experience in search of authentic well-being of mind and body. The traditional path is composed by a circuit of baths and emotional showers, bio-sauna, finnish sauna, turkish bath, ice waterfall, sound pool, Kneipp path, swimming pool with jets and water blade, hydromassage sessions, relaxation area and herbal tea room. The crystal pool, an outdoor salt water pool with whirlpools, is integrated into the interior spaces thanks to a telescopic crystal cover in the winter period. Expression of the deep bond with the territory are two new rooms. Cava d’oro bianco reproduces a salt quarry to offer guests the benefits of halotherapy, grotta dei calanchi is a tribute to the typical formations of clayey soils surrounding the resort where you can make mud for body treatments. During the summer, seven outdoor swimming pools of different sizes with hydromassage and chaise-longue with bubble micro-massage are at our guests disposal.
• Ars Vivendi Private SPA: We have created an environment dedicated to the art of living well, where you can find personalized programs for harmonizing your emotions, pampering your body and spirit, indulging your senses, and discovering true wellness. We have selected ancient traditions of wellbeing to build two programs designed around your needs. Two rituals will lead you to discover the roots of the connection between body and mind: The Hammam, to immerse yourself in the Arab culture’s practice of body care for purifying it from the toxins of everyday life. A pursuit of harmony following Middle Eastern suggestions through perfumes, elements, and sounds. The application of products with olive oil will help you rediscover full-body presence and the perception of the senses. The Ofuro will bring you to discover the Japanese approach to wellbeing. A treatment where the connection between mind and spirit shapes a new meaning of self-care. The traditional Japanese bath is a spiritual journey where absence becomes presence, emptiness is filled, time expands and you can find your roots in the ancient ritual of the tea ceremony, served on the tatami.
Two experiences, two journeys — through time and space — to treat yourself following the culture of the people who reached a wellness state through different rituals. We selected them to offer our guests new paths towards harmony and the pleasure of living
• Sport courts: Sport is an integral part of the Varsana SPA wellness offer. For our guests, a sports area with three courts: from the synthetic resin tennis and paddle courts you can enjoy a magnificent view of the hills that surround the resort. Inside the sports area there is also a half-bezel for basketball, ideal for those who want to try their hand at some free throw.
• Walking and cycling paths: Thanks to “PdV Outdoor” free app, available for Android & iOS, our guests can discover the various routes on foot or by bike of different levels of difficulty among the more than 100 hectares of olive groves and vineyards of the resort and in the surrounding areas. Available for iOS and Android
Fitness center h24
8 Massage rooms
Corporate & Celebration Events
Versatile settings offer modular layouts that can accommodate a variety of needs and are perfect for any occasion and event from business meetings to private events.
• Corporate events: An elegant foyer opens from the historic cellars of Palazzo Bentivoglio which leads to the 300-square-meter Congress Center. Lit by natural light and equipped with blackout windows, it can adapt to any type of event.
• Weddings: Our resort is a place where beauty meets the attention to the finest details and is the perfect location for couples who dream of a magic setting and enjoy being served by impeccable staff. The work of our team goes beyond setting up a classic event: it rather creates a work of art, where you can make your dreams come true on the most important day of your life.
Extra Notable Features
Golf: The Resort offers a training golf area composed by driving range, putting green and chipping green.
Cooking classes and children’s cooking classes
Olive oil and local wine tasting in our wine cellar
Hotel and restaurant Awards
2022: Condé Nast Johansens – Best Immersive Experience
World SPA & Wellness: Best Resort SPA of the year Western Europe and Scandinavia
Number of employees