Alex Lake Zürich Switzerland
Alex Lake Zürich
Seestrasse 182, 8800 Thalwil, Switzerland
The Living Circle
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Jörg Arnold – General Manager
Daniel Weist – Managing Director Operations
5 star LAKEFRONT LIFESTYLE HOTEL & SUITES
Alex Lake Zürich is part of The Living Circle. The Living Circle – is a hand-picked group of first-class hotels and restaurants in incomparably beautiful locations, run by dedicated hosts. Rice, vegetables, fruit and a whole array of exquisite products – including wine, of course – is whisked fresh from our own farms directly to your table. That is how we define luxury. That is The Living Circle – luxury hotels fed by nature.
ALEX LAKE ZÜRICH
History & Story
The history of the building goes back to the year 1589. At that time, the Thalwil Shooting Club had built a shooting range and the Schützenhaus inn on the lakeside. After the shooting range was abolished, the name of the house changed to Krone. The Krone was demolished in 1952 and the Hotel Alexander was opened in 1958. Alex Lake Zürich was built on the foundation walls of the Hotel Alexander and underwent a complete renovation and an extension with additional 22 guest rooms. Had the foundations of the Hotel Alexander been demolished, it would not have been accepted to build so close to the water, which makes the Alex Lake Zürich so unique. One has the feeling of being on board a ship or boat.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
The five-star hotel was opened in the summer of 2019 and is distinguished by its fantastic location directly on the lake and its modern, luxurious interior. With the five-star city hotels Widder and Storchen as well as the restaurant Buech and the Schlattgut farm in Herrliberg, a City & Lake Resort is being created where guests can enjoy both the vibrant city life with art and culture and the relaxed life in the countryside and on the lake.
Alex Lake Zürich is situated on the western shore of the iconic lake Zurich, it has a unique position sitting on the water’s edge; making it one of the most stylish and elegant Lake Zurich hotels. The Hotel’s excellent location, with easy access to Zurich city centre, makes it ideal for both business and leisure with a wealth of international companies, as well as leisure activities in the surrounding area.
Key sites/activities in the area
In summer, Zurich is transformed into a large water park. Everyone spends their time on the water or at the lake. Swimming, wakeboarding, rowing and stand-up paddling (SUP) are popular summer sports that can be organized directly from the hotel‘s own pier. And the local rowing club right next door invites longterm guests to their regular courses and training sessions. Zurich is a popular destination all year round for planning various excursions to the surrounding mountains.
1. At the Alex Lake Zurich you can rent a SUP and go straight from our own jetty in front of the hotel on the lake.
2. For chocolate lovers: the Lindt Home of Chocolate is only 5 mins by car or 30 mins walking distance from the hotel with our own Alex boat you cross the lake and go to Herrliberg, to either enjoy lunch at the beautiful restaurant Buech (member of The Living Circle) on top of the hill and/or visit our Schlattgut farm (as well member of The Living Circle) and see where the eggs for breakfast are coming from!
No children’s corner
No minimum age
43 contemporary studios and penthouses located at the water’s front. Residential in feel, each studio offers a custom-made design kitchenette, dining and sitting area, master bedroom and en-suite bathroom. Each individual studio provides a private balcony, a gorgeous terrace or French windows to enjoy the view on the lake, the city of Zurich or the mountains.
Restaurants & Bars
• Restaurant Alex: The restaurant Alex is the heart of our hotel and combines in an uncomplicated yet elegant way the aromatic cuisine with an urban flair. A new hotspot in Thalwil that invites you to stay and enjoy: whether for breakfast, casual lunch or lifestyle dinner.
• AQUA Restaurant: Michael Schuler, who spent five years in the kitchen with Stefan Heilemann – most recently as his sous chef at Widder Hotel -, is now opening his first fine dining restaurant with us at Alex Lake Zürich: the AQUA. In the 14-seat restaurant with a view over the entire Lake Zurich, our team serves a gourmet dinner of the extra class. The finest ingredients, the highest level of culinary craftsmanship and attention to detail are combined to create a dining experience in spirit of the City and Lake Resort: unforgettable and unique!
• Bar Alex: The Bar Lounge is a perfect spot for guests to unwind and relax, sipping on a favourite drink or enjoying a snack. Our master mixologists are at hand to prepare a wide range of classic cocktails or entice your senses with our innovative signature cocktails. Our wine cellar boasts an array of fine wines from small local independent producers to the internationally renowned appellations.
• Hammam style spa
• Steam room & sauna
• Vitality pool
• Relaxing chairs
• Treatment room
• Direct access to the lake
Our air conditioned gym with state-of-the art equipment – including treadmill, cross-trainer, bicycle & dumbells – is open 24 hours for our hotel guests. For exercise on the water, ALEX can arrange rowing training classes with professionals for you. Or let yourself drift on our stand-up paddles and discover the surroundings directly from the water. Whether you would like to take part in the local Yoga classes, or use the nearby tennis courts, or you would like to practice your putting skills on the local greens, there is plenty of options to choose from.
Corporate & Celebration Events
The Alex Lake Zurich impresses with its unique location directly on Lake Zurich and thus offers the perfect platform for a variety of events:
• From a candle light dinner for two on our jetty to a birthday party with 20 people on the terrace, we offer you individual offers.
• Whether for a board meeting or a job interview – the Business Lounge offers space for 6 people in the meeting room, which is equipped with the latest technology. The Residents’ Lounge captivates with its unique view of Lake Zurich – so it’s easy to exchange ideas in a stylish setting.
Extra Notable Features
• Food & Bar Tour
Experience our City & Lake Resort in a very special way. Immerse yourself in the culinary world of our houses, stroll through the dreamy alleys of Zurich’s old town and marvel at the lakeside landscape around Lake Zurich on our own boat.
COOKING WORKSHOP BY MICHAEL SCHULER
Experience a very exclusive afternoon in the kitchen of Michael Schuler, our chef de cuisine at Restaurant Alex and Restaurant Aqua. Together with him you will prepare a delicious 4-course menu and you will be right there with everything from slicing the vegetables to tasting the fine creation. Michael Schuler shows you important tips and tricks of a professional chef – so that you can also do it at home! After work, you can enjoy a well-deserved champagne aperitif with appetizers in the restaurant and then feast on the gourmet menu you have prepared yourself.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• No awards yet / our fine dining restaurant Aqua opened at the end of 2021
The Alex Lake Zurich belongs since 2019 to the The Living Circle group.
Number of employees