Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht The Netherlands
Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
Prinsengracht 587, 1016 HT Amsterdam
Hyatt Hotels Corporation
Date of Creation
29 October 2012
Hotel General Manager
Five-star Boutique Luxury-Lifestyle Hotel
On the 29 of October 2012, Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht opened its doors as the first Hyatt hotel in the Netherlands and the ninth addition to the Andaz brand. Represented in world-class cities such as London, New York and Shanghai, Andaz is making its mark in the cultural heart of vibrant Amsterdam, signifying the first step in the expansion of the brand into continental Europe.
Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
History & Story
Formerly the city’s Public Library in the heart of Amsterdam’s charming canal ring, five star, luxury-lifestyle Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht, mirrors the creativity of Amsterdam, with an iconic Dutch inspired interior design by world-renowned designer Marcel Wanders. Every space tells a story and the 122 spacious guestrooms, including five luxurious suites, one with penthouse terrace, feature inspiring views over the canals, the hotel’s secret garden or atrium. Bluespoon Restaurant & Bar offers innovative and sustainable cocktails & modern international dishes. A range of local activities, our signature spa and a fully equipped 24-hour gym complete the Andaz experience.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Location: Located in the heart of Amsterdam on the iconic Prinsengracht canal, just steps away from the trendy Nine Streets & charming Jordaan neighbourhood full of boutique shops, eateries and galleries.
Art & Design: Creative luxury on the canals. Unique distinctively Dutch design with a playful twist on Dutch history by world renowned Dutch designer Marcel Wanders
Suites: 5 luxurious design suites, including the penthouse Prinsengracht Suite (145sqm) boasting the largest hotel terrace overlooking Amsterdam’s canals (35sqm).
Experiences: You might arrive a visitor but as an Andaz Amsterdam guest, you will leave feeling like a local thanks to a weekly program of complimentary activities and a selection of #OnlyinAndaz perks at nearby local partners & attractions.
Although recently opened in 2012, Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht is already full of history with its unique location on the Prinsengracht, the site of the city’s former Public Library. The Prinsengracht is part of the iconic canal ring that was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2010. This puts our hotel right in the bustling heart of the city. Surrounded by the creative scene and dynamic spirit of the Jordaan district and to the right steps away from the quaint Nine Streets, the hotel’s charming neighborhood is filled with Amsterdam’s main art galleries, unique specialty shops, trendy fashion boutiques, and stylish restaurants. To the left, a short stroll gets you to Amsterdam’s iconic Museumplein, home to key museums such as Rijks, Stedelijk, Moco & Van Gogh museum.
Key sites/activities in the area
The hotel building is the former Public Library of Amsterdam. The library was there from 1977 until 2007 when it was relocated to Oosterdokseiland. This heritage informs the design direction with books, both physical and deconstructed, forming the look and feel and illustrations that form murals around the hotel, taken by Marcel Wanders from books in the original library. Another design theme of the hotel is that of the Alice in Wonderland story, again a subtle reference to the building’s former use.
• First hotel in the world that solely focuses on video art and showcases a permanent collection of 50 unique works throughout the hotel, the largest private video art collection in Europe.
• The hotel consists of two building in between two canals: the Prinsengracht (Prince’s canal) and the Keizersgracht (Emperor’s canal) which are connected by a charming silent garden with large Alice in Amsterdam mural.
• All guestrooms feature fabulous views whether overlooking the iconic canal, the hotel’s enchanted garden or the observatorium themed atrium.
• In the Spring/Summer, every Wednesday joins the 7.30am 5K run or two Sundays a month join the complimentary bike tour to find out some hidden secrets of this beautiful city.
• The Prinsengracht Suite, our 140 sqm top floor penthouse boasts a luxury playful design and the largest hotel terrace overlooking the canal and city’s rooftops, it’s an ideal hideaway for your top VIP clients. We can also turned this beautiful Suite in a 2-bedroom apartment by connecting it with one of our Garden View room.
• With the addition of its very own vintage salon boat in 2018, the hotel now offers weekly tours with drinks and bites taking guests on a special Andaz tour of the city, the best way to discover Amsterdam.
• Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht holds the Green Globe Certification, the premier global certification for sustainability.
• Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht was awarded the Forbes Travel Guide Recommended Award 2019, Top 5 hotels in Amsterdam in Conde Nast Traveller Reader’s Choice Awards 2018, and Top 25 luxury hotels & hotels for service from Tripadvisor 2018-19.
• At Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht we give dogs a warm welcome. Rest assured that your furry friend will enjoy a comfortable and relaxing stay with our special Very Important Dog programme.
Experience comfort and sophistication in one of the hotel’s 122 stylish designed rooms, including 5 suites.
With views over the Prinsengracht canal, the secret garden or the hotel’s observatory-themed atrium, our 117 rooms ranging from 27sqm to 36sqm are featuring a unique interior design bringing Dutch history and city’s creativity to life. Our garden view rooms are offering various connecting options with garden view twin, king, garden view deluxe king and Prinsengracht suite.
Our 5 Signature suites from 55 to 140 sqm are also immersing our guests into a creative and quirky Dutch design.
The Prinsengracht Suite, our 140 sqm top floor penthouse boasts a luxury playful design and the largest hotel terrace overlooking the canal and city’s rooftops, it’s an ideal hideaway for your top VIP
We can also turned this beautiful Suite in a 2-bedroom apartment by connecting it with one of our Garden View room.
Andaz Large Suite
Step inside this stylish, Dutch-inspired suite featuring 55 to 57 square meters of space, a bedroom with king bed, lounge area, large windows, and luxurious bathroom with a soaking tub and rain shower.
This 54-square-meter, top-floor suite features a bedroom with king bed, open-plan living area with dining table, and bathroom with a soaking tub and rain shower. The suite’s floor-to-ceiling windows overlook the hotel’s Observatorium-themed atrium.
Restaurants & Bars
• Bluespoon Restaurant & Bar
Contemporary Bluespoon Restaurant brings modern international dishes to life with the most seasonal local products. Start with bites and fresh appetizers, move on to our signature dishes and desserts.
Bluespoon Bar promises innovative, handcrafted cocktails, which profile local ingredients and take you on a sustainable no-waste journey that doesn’t compromise on flavour, but rather elevates it. Guests can watch the world go by on the canal outside, disappear into a cozy corner, or join Bar Manager at the bar counter to get close to the action.
Our room service is a convenient quick start for early risers, a romantic dinner for two or a hospitable gathering. From snacks to full four-course meals, we offer the dishes of your choice served in in the private atmosphere of your room.
Located in the heart of Amsterdam, The Spa conjoins the style and energy of the city with an environment of pure relaxation and intimacy, meeting all of your spa needs and providing the utmost comfort and leisure. Let us restore your well-being with a range of tailor-made treatments that will leave you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
Pursue an active lifestyle during your stay in Amsterdam. From state-of-the-art cardio to free weights, you will be able to enjoy a total body workout to energise and recharge your spirit. Inspiring artistic design with natural daylight pouring in from the glass ceiling looking up into the hotel’s enchanted garden.
Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht gladly welcomes dogs to our pet-friendly hotel with pampering amenities designed to ensure a happy stay, thanks to our V.I.D.—Very Important Dog—program.
Your four-legged friend will enjoy thoughtful amenities, like dog bed, dog bowls, a jar filled with treats and a bottle of mineral water.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht offers the Andaz Studios. A variety of 6 distinct venues, totally 575 square metres of flexible space, and suite for corporate, social events and wedding celebrations.
• Breathing a home-like ambience, the Studios provide the iconic and artistic Marcel Wander’s signature style, comfort and state-of-the-art technology for inspired and productive gatherings.
Extra Notable Features
Bike like a Local: Biking through Amsterdam is the best way to enjoy and explore what the city has to offer. Our special Andaz bikes will have you roaming the canals like a true local. Why not join the group bike tour before brunch two Sundays a month in the summer.
• Boating: Looking out onto the Prinsengracht or ‘Prince’s canal’, our hotel is the perfect starting point from which to begin your boating adventure. What’s more, we have our very own vintage Andaz salon boat that departs every Friday and Saturday for a unique route, the best and most luxurious way to discover Amsterdam from the water.
Parking spaces available for 65 euro per day.
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
2019 Top 25 Hotels & Top 25 Luxury Hotels, the Netherlands – Tripadvisor
2018 #5 in Top Hotels in Amsterdam – Condé Nast Traveler Reader’s Choice Awards
2018 Best Rated 5* Hotel in the Netherlands for the 2nd year running – Trivago
2018 Marcel Wanders Interior Design Hall of Fame – Interior Design Magazine US
2017 Best 5 Star Hotel in the Netherlands – Trivago
Number of employees