Località Castelfalfi, 50050, Montaione (FI)
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Roberto Protezione has over 16 years of luxury hospitality experience in Italy and abroad, working for brands such as St. Regis and Belmond. He joins Castelfalfi from Castello di Casole, a Belmond Hotel, where he was General Manager since April 2018, leading all of the Castello di Casole Group units; Hospitality, Real Estate and Agriculture. Prior to Belmond, Roberto worked two years in the United Arab Emirates as Director of Revenue Management at the St. Regis Saadiyat Island and at the Westin Golf Resort, Abu Dhabi. He started his career in Starwood in Revenue management at St. Regis Grand in Rome and continued at St. Regis and Westin Complex in Florence.
5-star Luxury, member of Legend Preferred Hotels & Resort L.V.X.
Castelfalfi was acquired by a new owner in 2021, with the vision of turning the property into a world-class organic estate and immersive retreat, which works in harmony with nature and the local community to create a center of agricultural and culinary excellence, where guests can reconnect both body and spirit with the natural world.
Guest accommodation is provided by Castelfalfi,’ a five-star hotel and spa, located across two buildings in the center of the village with views across the rolling countryside below, and a selection of traditional farmhouses scattered across the estate, structured as single units and apartments, which are available for rent or sale.
Significant investment has already been made to upgrade the hotel and the outstanding facilities, enhance and expand the land under organic agriculture, and upgrade the machinery and working practices at the estate’s olive press, winery, and apiary, from where much of the food and wine consumed on the estate originates.
The vision for Castelfalfi is constantly evolving – subtle, sophisticated, and nuanced all at once. It is a world in which the richness of the land becomes an integral part of the 5-star hospitality experience.
Here, guests can appreciate the harmony and sense of peace and wellbeing that comes from being at one with nature and part of a community.
History & Story
Castelfalfi’s rich history started with an ancient Etruscan settlement set in the Tuscan hills. Over time the settlement grew, eventually becoming the village under the castle that still exists today. The castle underwent several changes of ownership before going through a renaissance period, after which it was converted into a residential home. In the 16th Century, during the conflict between Florence and Siena, Castelfalfi was plundered and set aflame before falling under the ownership of the Medici Tornaquinci family, who restored its tranquillity and major manufacturing status. Midway through the 20th Century, the famous ‘tabaccaia’ was built to dry tobacco plants imported from overseas. However, following the destruction and wreckage caused by World War II, the village and farm were gradually abandoned by its inhabitants and the artisans living there, as they fled for safety. It was only in 2007 that Castelfalfi began to recover and start a new chapter following the acquisition of the property by TUI AG, who renamed the village ‘Castelfalfi’. Years later, in 2021, Castelfalfi and Tenuta di Castelfalfi (including the adjoining farm) were acquired by the S.P. Lohia family. Following the acquisition, the family commenced an ambitious investment plan aimed at preserving the landscape’s natural beauty whilst transforming it into an exemplar lifestyle and wellness destination.
2021: Castelfalfi Adventure Park, Kids and Teen’s club, Padel Court, Restyling of the lobby, Ecrù Bar and terrace, rooms, wine shop.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• 2700 acres of Estate which main pillars: nature, sustainability, openness to the local community
• An ancient Borgo with 2000 years history hosting art exhibitions each year
• Agriculture Estate with all organic products (wine, olive oil, honey and more)
• The largest golf course in Tuscany (27 holes) and GEO certified
• Outstanding five star service
• 8 restaurants with different style of atmosphere and gastronomy
• Contemporary designed rooms in the hotel
• Tuscan style villas immersed in the nature
• La Spa with ESPA and Maria Galland brands for products & treatments
• One indoor pool, three outdoor pools
• More than forty outdoor and indoor activities
• Castelfalfi Adventure Park
• Kids Club with vegetable garden and farm with little animals
Castelfalfi is located just a stone’s throw from San Gimignano (25 mins) and Volterra (30 mins) in the heart of the Florentine countryside. This area is still a hidden gem, the pearl of a destination universally recognized in the world as the cradle of the Renaissance and the capital of good living.
Less than 1 hr driving from Florence, Livorno, Pisa.
Key sites/activities in the area
Unparalleled Location in the hidden part of the beautiful Tuscan Chianti – a fantastic point of departure for your daily excursions; in a max. one hour distance Florence, Siena, Pisa, Lucca, Forte dei Marmi. 25 minutes close to San Gimignano.
Every year the ancient Borgo features an art exhibition that can be enjoyed for free by both guests and visitors. This year 2022 there is the fascinating Art Exhibition called La Scuderia. Curated by the architect Alberto Bartalini, marble is the star of the outdoor and indoor exhibition, that ponderous and exacting material that thrums with life that Giorgio Angeli – with his Studio of Art Sculptures – provides to internationally famous artists so that they can give their creativity free reign. And Castelfalfi is enriched by the presence of prestigious names. The sculptures are intimately linked with the significant images on the walls within the interior spaces of the original ancient cellars of the Castle. Outside, the slender streets, the well-kept gardens, the gentle architecture, and the stunning panoramic views resonate with new figures: sinuous, geometric, undulating, and fragmented.
Castelfalfi welcomes younger guests with a rich Kids Club and Teen Club program full of special activities. Younger guests have the opportunity to participate in interactive games, manual activities, and creative workshops. Our workshops are designed by experts in the psycho-pedagogical sector, all activities are developed with a hands-on teaching methodology to stimulate curiosity, and knowledge and are experiential, fun, and exciting. We base our activities on the child’s experimentation, discovery, experience, and game as the main and privileged way of getting to know the world.
The kids club includes an indoor area with a kitchen for cooking class and collective lunch and an outdoor area with an exclusive farm with small animals to be taken care of by the kids.
• Number of suites: 24
• Number of Luxury rooms: 146
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 170
• Number of independent Villas: 3 (three bedrooms, five bedrooms, eight bedrooms)
Restaurants & Bars
Kitchen Manager Davide De Simone.
• Ecrù Bar,
• Giglio Blu,
• Il Rosmarino
• LA SPA with products and treatments of ESPA and Maria Galland brands
• Fitness center with Technogym equipment
• CastelfalFIT wellness program for body and mind (yoga, pilates, mindfulness, personal training, and more)
Corporate & Celebration Events
Nestling amid the sun-kissed Tuscan hills, surrounded by vineyards, centuries-old olive trees, and period farmhouses, Castelfalfi is the ideal setting for guaranteeing a successful event, thanks to the variety of exclusive venues and top-quality services.
Our delightfully sophisticated indoor and outdoor settings are superbly versatile, offering the perfect response to your every need, whatever the event: from conferences and business meetings to private parties and fabulous weddings. Every occasion can be customized in painstaking detail by our qualified event planners, who will place their professional skills and expertise at your disposal to organize a unique, unforgettable experience exactly as you imagined it.
Extra Notable Features
• The biggest Golf Course in Tuscany: 27 holes Golf Course (a 18 hole Mountain Course + a 9 hole Lake Course)
• 40+ Outdoor and Indoor Experiences
• Private natural reserve and Agriculture Estate with the production of organic wines, EVO oil, honey, spirits
• Kids and Teen club
• Castelfalfi Adventure Park
• Ancient Borgo with a church and a castle
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• 2023 Condé Nast Johansens Award: Best Immersive Experience 2023
• 2022 Golf World Top 100 Awards 2022
• 2021 Condé Nast Traveller Readers’ choice Awards
• 2021 Luxury Resort Award winner Condé Nast Johansens
• 2020 Luxury Resort Award winner Condé Nast Johansens
• 2019 Wedding Travel Award
• 2019 World Luxury Hotel Award
• 2019 Prime Traveller Awards
Number of employees