Castello di Casole, A Belmond Hotel, Tuscany Italy
Castello di Casole, A Belmond Hotel, Tuscany
Località Querceto, 53031 Casole d’Elsa, Siena, Italy
Date of Creation
The castle was built in the 10th century ; Belmond property since 2018
Hotel General Manager
A passionate hotellier, Roberto Protezione joined Castello di Casole, A Belmond Hotel, Tuscany team in 2018 after 12 years of experience in hospitality with a career that brought him all around the globe, from Florence to Dubai and then back to Tuscany. With his passion he is highly contributing to bring the village life of the estate back to life.
CASTELLO DI CASOLE, A BELMOND HOTEL, TUSCANY
History & Story
The castle was built in the year 998, and named Querceto Villa after the nearby oak forest. In the 19th and 20th centuries, the local aristocratic Bargagli family restored it and turned the expansive estate into a thriving patchwork of farms. Later, it was bought by Earl Edoardo Visconti, brother of the acclaimed film director Luchino Visconti. He would organise glamorous parties at the castle, inviting celebrated stars from the dolce vita era. More recently, the castle was transformed into a boutique hotel offering every comfort you could wish for – yet the inviting ambience of a private country house remains.
In 2020 the terrace of Ristorante Tosca was fully-refurbished and new cabanas were added next to the infinity pool. A new wine cellar was opened.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
– 10th century castle, restored preserving its history
– Surrounded by a 4,200-acre private estate of rolling hills, sweeping valleys, vineyards and olive groves
– Located in the heart of Tuscany, a perfect base to visit some of the best wineries in Italy and the iconic Tuscan towns such as Siena or San Gimignano
– Breath-taking infinity pool with a view over the hills
– Model Game Reserve with scenic footpaths to spot hare, pheasant and deer
– Essere Spa, housed in what was once the wine cellar, offering rejuvenating rituals inspired by local ingredients
Castello di Casole, A Belmond Hotel, Tuscany is set in the heart of Tuscany, among the rolling hills of Siena. Florence is less than and hour drive away, while Siena and charming San Gimignano can be reach in 45 minutes.
Key sites/activities in the area
– Wine tastings in some of Italy’s most prestigious wineries
– Truffle Hunting
– Biking and hiking among the charming hills
– Animal watching in the model game reserve
– The celebrated night skies over Castello di Casole provide a glittering display for star seekers
The history of Castello di Casole, A Belmond Hotel, Tuscany goes back to 5,000 years ago. The site is deeply rooted in its agricultural past stretching back to the Bronze Age; artefacts from Etruscan farmers have been found across the grounds and are now on display at the hotel.
Castello di Casole has been recognized as one of the best destinations for astrotourism in Italy receiving the Gold certification from Astronomitaly. Orion, Adromeda and even the Milky Way can easily be spotted when looking up at the sky after sunset. To make sure our guests can truly enjoy this magic, we can organize private sessions with aprofessional astronomer in the amphitheatre.
The hotel is perfect for family adventures or relaxing stays with your little ones. It offers tasty children’s menus and highchairs in the restaurants, a babysitting service on request and an array of activities, including horseback riding, painting classes and cookery lessons.
– Number of suites: 37 (from 45 to 90 sq m)
Executive Junior Suites
Deluxe Junior Suites
– Number of Luxury rooms: 2
Deluxe Double Rooms
– Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 39
Restaurants & Bars
RISTORANTE TOSCA – Tosca mixes old world favourites with modern influences. The focus is purely Italian—homemade pasta, locally sourced meat, exceptional seafood and garden-fresh produce. Freshly baked bread pairs perfectly with our estate-grown extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy a sophisticated yet relaxed ambience among vibrant Italian textiles and sparkling Murano chandeliers, or take a seat at our panoramic terrace.
BAR VISCONTI – Named after the castle’s former owner, our stylish lounge bar affords spectacular panoramas over the countryside. We serve an array of cocktails, wines and spirits alongside rustic Italian fare.
WINE CELLAR – Located in the hotel courtyard, it houses a rich collection of local and Italian wines. The ideal spot for an exclusive dinner or private wine tasting session.
– Essere Spa set in the ancient wine cellars with spectacular vaulted ceilings. The menu of indulgent therapies is inspired by local ingredients including rosemary, grapes, honey and olive oil. It enjoy seven treatment rooms, a lavish couple’s treatment suite with deep soaking tub and shower, pools, steam rooms and lush, secluded gardens.
– Infinity pool with views over the hills
– Fitness Centre
Corporate & Celebration Events
Whether looking for a dramatic boardroom, a space for a celebration dinner or unique wedding venues in Tuscany, we have a space for every occasion. Keep things classic with a timeless feast in the atmospheric San Tommaso Church. Host a lavish alfresco event on the beautiful Limonaia Terrace or in the stunning ancient amphitheatre. Wherever you pick, we’ll ensure your event is a roaring success.
Extra Notable Features
– Fun cooking classes in the historic Sala Camino to learn how to prepare delicious pasta
– Yoga classes at sunrise
Hotel and Restaurant Awards
Forbes Travel Guide’s Star Awards
Travel+Leisure, World’s Best Awards – The Top 10 Italy Resort Hotels
The Telegraph, The 50 Greatest Hotels in the World
Number of employees