Fairmont Le Montreux Palace
Fairmont Le Montreux Palace
Av. Claude Nobs 2
1820 Montreux – Switzerland
FRHI Hotels & Resorts
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Michael Smithuis – GM since 2003 – holds a Diploma in Hotel Management from IHTTI Hotel School Neuchâtel. He has held various management positions in several countries (England, Oman, Indonesia), before joining the FRHI group at Raffles Hotel Vierjahreszeiten Hamburg in 1998 as Deputy Director.
5* Deluxe Palace
Always striving for the highest standards in authientic Swiss Hospitality, Fairmont Le Montreux Palace aims to become the home away from home for all travellers chosing the Lake Geneva region, by the luxurious guestrooms, unique geographical setting, breathtaking views and heartfelt service.
FAIRMONT LE MONTREUX PALACE
History & Story
In 1881, 2 famous Swiss hoteliers from Montreux, Alexandre Emery and Ami Chessex buy the Hotel du Cygne (built in 1837). In 1895 they founded the company “Le Montreux Palace & Cygne”. The Swiss architect Eugene Jost builds the Palace in a record time of 18 months and the hotel opens on March 19th 1906. The new hotel is joined to the original Hotel du Cygne by the Salon de Musique, the Grand Hall and richly decorated ballrooms. A sports hall was built in 1911 to entertain the guests: The “Pavillon”, housed a tea room, a skating rink and a firing range. During World War I, the hotel was used as a hospital to shelter wounded Allied soldiers. In the 1920’s, Montreux regained its former glory with the return of the rich and famous. During World War II tourism receded and the hotel was used as a hospital again. A Fairmont Hotel since 2007, Montreux Palace is the landmark hotel of Lake Geneva area.
All lakeview rooms and public areas renovated in 2012 by Fiona Thompson in collaboration with Richmond International.
Date added extensions
1907 – Palace Wing
1960 – Petit Palais Conference Center
2000 – Willow Stream Spa
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Situated on the shores of Lake Geneva and with a stunning view of the lake and Alps, Fairmont Le Montreux Palace is a jewel of the Belle Époque architecture. The hotel offers 235 elegantly appointed and luxuriously furnished rooms and suites, culinary delights in the La “Brasserie du Palace”, as well as an oasis of wellbeing in the 2000m2 Willow Stream Spa and 15 modern and classic meetingrooms.
Only 1 hour drive from Geneva Airport or from famous ski resorts like Gstaad or Verbier, 2 hours from Zurich, 3 hours from Milano and 4 hours from Paris the hotel is situated in the center of Montreux a luxury health resort, famous for its climate, Spa hotels, private cliniques and boarding schools
Key sites/activities in the area
Chillon Castle – most visited castle in Switzerland, Lavaux Vineyards – Unesco protected Heritage – wine tasting. site, Lake Geneva – dinner cruises on steamships, fishing yacthing; Gruyere – Cheese factory; Broc – Nestle Chocolate factory; Aigle Golf Course.
The Montreux Palace was built in a record time of 18 months and was considered the most modern hotel of the area in 1906 as it offered heating, electricity and private bathrooms with hot and cold running water. The Petit Palais,our Conference center was built initially as a rink hockey hall in 1911.
Children’s corner available in summer months and school holiday periods, with multilingual staff and fun activities for children of all ages. Please check availability prior to booking.
Hotel provides 236 recently renovated guestrooms and suites in 10 different cathegories:
• Fairmont Mountain View Room (66 rooms, queen or 2 twin beds, Mountain View)
• Deluxe Mountain View Rooms (18 rooms, king, queen or 2 twin beds, Mountain View)
• Fairmont Lakeview Rooms: (26 rooms king,queen or 2 twin beds, Lakeview)
• Deluxe Lakeview Rooms: (86 rooms, king, queen or 2 twin beds, Lakeview)
• Signature Rooms: (14 rooms king, queen or 2 twin beds, Lakeview)
• Junior Suite: (7 suites with separate living room in 1 airspace, king, queen or 2 twin beds, Lakeview)
• Signature Suite: (15 suites with separate living room closed off by sliding doors, king, queen or 2 twin beds, Lakeview)
• Panorama Suite (2 one bedrooms suites situated on 7th floor with large rooftof terasses, king bed, Lake+Mountain views)
• Palace Suite (one bedrooms suite situated on 7th floor with 2 large rooftof terasses, private elevator, king bed, Lake+Mountain views)
• Presidential Suite ( 200 sqm, with living room, bedroom, diningroom, kitchenette, 2 bathrooms, large terasse and connecting bedroom option)
Restaurants & Bars
La Palmeraie: Elevated breakfast buffet with tastes for everybody, open every day of the week with brunch on Sundays.
Montreux Jazz Café: Enjoy hearty cuisine combined with a selection of the region’s best wines and spirits, directly inspired by the atmosphere of the legendary music festival.
The Lounge Bar: Unwind with a coffee, glass of champagne or light snacks by the roaring fireplace.
MP’S Bar & Grill: The finest grill in the region, with local ingredients, Swiss wines and a stunning outdoor terrace.
La Terrasse du Petit Palais: Outdoor dining with an unrivalled view of Lake Geneva and the Alps (summer only).
Funky Claude’s Bar: Live music six nights a week and truly masterful cocktails in one of Montreux’s most beloved establishments.
Willow Stream Café: A haven of peace with unbelievable views over Lake Geneva, Montreux and the Alps next to our indoor and outdoor pools.
The Willow Stream Spa, our award winning wellness oasis, spreads over 2’000 m2 providing both an indoor- (20 m by 8 m) and an outdoor-pool (15 m by 7.5 m), which is open in the summer and surrounded by lawn for sunbathing. 2 separated wet-zones for women and men include a sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi, two bubble-loungers, a cold water bath and a luxurious changing rooms and shower facilities. With its view over Lake Geneva, the 300sq meters of the fitness room offers it’s guests the latest generation in cardiovascular machines. The aerobics room is a used for Yoga, Qi Gong and Tai Ji lessons or personal training. There are 10 private cabins for a large variety of treatments and massages, we offer you more than 60 different experiences. A private VIP room is available with 2 massage beds.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Spring Ball – May
• Russian Ball – December
• Christmas Market – December
• Comedy Festival – December
• Classical Music Festival – September
• Montreux Jazz Festival – July
• Our Hotel has been awarded as Best Luxury Hotel 2017/2018 in Switzerland by Hotel of the Year Awards, and is ranked No 12 in the top 100 Hotels Worldwide.
• Our restaurant “Montreux Jazz Café” has been awarded the best Luxury Hotel Restaurant in Switzerland by World Luxury Restaurant Awards 2018
• The Willow Stream Spa at Fairmont le Montreux Palace has been awarded the best Luxury Hotel Spa in Western Europe by the World Luxury Spa Awards 2018
• Fairmont Le Montreux Palace is in the the Top 3 best city hotels in Switzerland. Awarded by BILANZ
• Our Hotel has been awarded the 2018 World Luxury Hotel Award
• Fairmont Le Montreux Palace is a finalist nominee for the 2018 Historic Hotels Award of Excellence
• Fairmont Le Montreux Palace has been awarded Luxury Hotel Best Scenic Environment 2018 in Europe by Luxury Hotel Awards
Number of employees