Gleneagles Hotel Scotland
Gleneagles, Auchterarder, Perthshire, PH3 1NF, Scotland
Owned by Ennismore
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Conor O’Leary began his Gleneagles journey in November 2016 as Hotel Manager. Immediately prior to arriving at Gleneagles, he was Director of Food & Beverage at the five-star Grand Hyatt in Dubai. Since becoming General Manager in August 2017, Conor has picked up the prize for Hotelier of the Year at Hotel Designs Brit List 2018 alongside a number of other achievements.
World-famous 5 Star Luxury Hotel in Scotland
For the first time in its 98-year history, Gleneagles has opened its first ever city outpost, Gleneagles Townhouse, in the heart of St. Andrew Square. Home to a 33-room hotel, bustling all-day restaurant, The Spence, and a lively members’ club.
History & Story
Gleneagles opened its doors to the public on Saturday 7 June 1924, after 14 years of planning by Donald Matheson. It quickly became the go to destination for the glamorous socialites of the 1920s. Gleneagles has left its mark on history in countless ways and this fascinating heritage can be traced at every corner, with the hotel having served as a military hospital during World War Two; hosted the Commonwealth leaders to sign the Gleneagles Agreement against Apartheid in sport in 1977; staged the G8 Summit of World Leaders in 2005; and played host venue to the Ryder Cup in 2014.
2022 Inglenook – When the conversation flows as smoothly as the whisky pours, you know you’re in the Inglenook at The Dormy. On long summer evenings or crisp winter nights, the roaring fire is sure to keep you warm. The Inglenook is your place to enjoy an al fresco whisky and cigar.
2021 The Spa – With beautiful new spaces for relaxation, restoration and rejuvenation; a range of Gleneagles oil blends featuring natural botanicals from the Perthshire countryside; and spa treatments and experiences designed in collaboration with some of the world’s leading wellness brands, the Spa at Gleneagles in Scotland is not an opus on indulgence, but a vital celebration of health, happiness and life itself.
2020 Bedrooms – Completion of full bedroom refurbishment. 233 luxury rooms, including 28 suites, each offering the individuality of a boutique hotel
2019 Corporate spaces –. Our Ballroom has been part of our story since the beginning and it has received a makeover to keep the stage set for the next hundred years. The Parlour room nods to the room’s original purpose as a place to which guests would retire to enjoy the best literature, art and conversation. With a deep bay window allowing the beautiful soft Scottish light to flood in, The Billiard Room is an atmospheric space for dinners, drinks and presentations.
2019 The Strathearn – Our fine dining restaurant went through a beautiful refurbishment. The new-look Strathearn pays homage to the golden age of railway travel when ‘The Gleneagles 300’, a glamorous set of 1920s socialites, would travel in style as they made their seasonal voyages to the hotel.
Date added extensions
2022 Little Garden – Located just beside The Trail Yard the Little Garden will be a place to encourage young minds to learn about the great outdoors while having fun.
2022 By the Lochan – Two transparent domes on the Gleneagles estate, 10-minutes’ drive from the hotel providing the ultimate luxury getaway experience.
2019 Trail Yard – From tree climbing and zip-wiring to walking and cycling, guests can enjoy a host of a trail-based adventures at our adventure hub, The Trail Yard.
2018 Ochil House – Inspired by the original private members clubs, expect luxurious yet contemporary finishes, lots of natural daylight, beautiful and private outdoor spaces and all the technology you need to make your meeting, conference or party go with a swing.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Our three main strengths are
• Location – one hour from Edinburgh and Glasgow airports (EDI and GLA)
• Leisure activities – over 50 pursuits and activities for all ages and levels of experience. Ideal for families, everything that an adult can do at Gleneagles a child can do too.
• Award winning food and beverage – 10 restaurants and bars, and a stock of around 200 different whiskies!
Located beneath the Ochil Hills, in the heart of Perthshire, Gleneagles is made up of 850 acres and is approximately 1 mile from Auchterarder town. We are a 50min/1 hour drive from Edinburgh Airport and Glasgow Airport, both offering international direct flights. If you prefer to travel by train, Gleneagles train station is on the main London to Inverness line, with complimentary transfers to the hotel from the station.
Key sites/activities in the area
Chauffeur tours enable you to explore the region of Perthshire, with its rolling hills, landmark castles and distilleries. Popular nearby attractions include; Stirling Castle, Edinburgh Castle, Glenturret Distillery, Blair Atholl Distillery, Scone Palace and the Wallace Monument to name a few.
• Gleneagles serve approximately 50,000 drams of whisky to guests each year.
• We have 40 Harris hawks, 2 golden eagles, 2 tawny eagles, 1 peregrine falcon, 12 ferrets and 14 gundogs
• 9 restaurants and bars (and a stock of around 200 different whiskies)
• 1 lobby dog- Henry.
Little Glen and The Den are exciting adventure areas for junior guests. Little Glen, a colourful and fully supervised crèche for 2 – 9 year olds, is a safe and fun play environment with a bright, fresh colour scheme, tactile furnishings and an arts and crafts workshop, designed to stimulate play, interaction and learning. Little Glen’s countryside theme includes an indoor treehouse; Gleneagles railway carriage and more, reflecting the natural beauty of the estate and local landscape and brings the feeling of the outdoors inside. The Den, an unsupervised recreation space for 6 – 15 year olds, features a variety of stimulating and interactive play resources – from PS4s, Xboxes, a cinema, a photo booth, arts and crafts, pool and air hockey, to traditional games like Chinese Checkers, Dominoes, Backgammon and Charades.
233 luxury rooms, including 28 suites, each offering the individuality of a boutique hotel – celebrating our rich heritage, our beautiful setting, and the charming traditions of the local area.
• Country Room – Full of Scottish countryside charm, these beautifully-furnished inner-facing bedrooms offer the essence of Gleneagles’ elegance and luxury in our cosiest setting.
• Manor Room – Available in two layouts – either as a spacious inner-facing room or a slightly smaller room with beautiful views of the estate – each of our Manor Rooms celebrates Scottish luxury at its best.
• Estate Room, Braid House – Our most spacious doubles, most of these beautiful, newly-refurbished rooms come with a balcony and many offer spectacular views across our estate and the Ochil Hills.
• Estate Room, The Main House – A spacious double packed with country house elegance, this stylish room category offers spectacular views across the Gleneagles estate, luxurious fittings, and a host of period detailing.
• Estate Suite – Full of space and light, and packed with country house elegance, our stylish Estate Suites offer luxurious fixtures and fittings, a host of period detailing, and some of the finest views in the house.
• Whisky Suite – Named after some of Scotland’s most iconic single malts, our majestic Whisky Suites – just like their namesakes – are all completely unique, representing a true blend of character, heritage, tradition and a flavour of the local landscape.
• 2 Bedroom Whisky Suites – Exclusive and intimate, and with a heavenly location on the hotel’s top floor, our two-bedroom Spirit Suites truly capture Gleneagles’ world-renowned blend of Scottish heritage and contemporary luxury.
• Tower Suite – Walk up the spiral stair case, soak up the luxury of your own private library, and relax in one of the most atmospheric spaces in the hotel – a truly unique and luxurious two-bedroom suite set within the hotel’s original tower.
• Royal Lochnagar Suite – Step into the finest suite in the hotel and enjoy the very best of Gleneagles glamour and Scottish tradition in your very own stately piece of the Glorious Playground.
Restaurants & Bars
• The Birnam – The Birnam is a vibrant and relaxed Italian-American grill, where the finest cuts are seared, slow cooked and grilled to perfection over our custom built, open fire pit. A lively and bright feel during the day that transitions into a warm and bustling space – prepare to settle in for the evening.
• The Strathearn – The Strathearn is our classical fine dining restaurant. Its traditional walnut gueridon trolleys, silver cloches and butler trays deliver the touch of a bygone era, while a setting of elegant grandeur reflects the essence of Gleneagles glamour.
• The Dormy – The Dormy is a favourite with families, friends and golfers alike for its laid back charm and inspiring views of the iconic King’s and Queen’s courses, creating a relaxed atmosphere. The hearty menu of grill classics and specialities from the tandoor oven appeals to all tastes and appetites.
• The Glendevon – With magnificent views across the hotel grounds and the Ochil Hills, our beautiful Glendevon room is the place to indulge in a slice of Scotland’s finest Afternoon Tea – which offers a mouth-watering selection of French pastries, beautiful cakes, buttery scones and finely-cut finger sandwiches, baked and prepared each day by our team of pastry chefs
• The Century Bar – Gleneagles’ Century Bar, which re-launched in 2016 following a beautiful redesign by David Collins Studio, has been the beating heart of the hotel for nearly 100 years. By day, it’s a great place to meet family and friends for morning coffee, a light snack or informal lunch. In the evening, this atmospheric space is the perfect spot to relax, unwind and sample some of Scotland’s greatest whiskies.
• The American Bar – Head Bartender, Ludovica Fedi, researched drinks ingredients and methodologies from the era to create the drinks list and pays tribute to the great characters and pastimes of the heady time. The American Bar is the only bar in the world with a full set of all four Gordon & MacPhail Private Collection Ultras whiskies – an extremely rare collection.
• Auchterarder 70 – This relaxed space, located beside The Dormy is Gleneagles new craft beer bar. Offering delightful small plates to share between family and friends, as well as an extensive selection of local craft beer.
• Andrew Fairlie – Gleneagles is home to Scotland’s only two Michelin Starred restaurant – Andrew Fairlie. The menu blends the best Scottish produce with classic French techniques.
• The Inglenook – Adjoining The Dormy, this private bookable, outdoor space is ideal for small groups to enjoy a single malt and a cigar under the stars.
• The Spa – we offer a range of spa therapies as well as wellness treatments across 20 treatment rooms. Afterwards guests relax in our heat and water facilities including; a vitality pool, lifestyle showers, relaxation rooms, steam room and saunas.
• The Health Club – we have 1 gym, 1 fitness suite, 2 swimming pools and 1 outdoor Alpine Onsen pool and offer a wide range of fitness classes, including Pilates, yoga and outdoor conditioning bootcamp.
• Bob & Cloche – with a nail bar, pedicure room, hair salon and treatment rooms, this stunning beauty lodge offers guests a variety of treatments.
Corporate & Celebration Events
Planning a bespoke itinerary for your group, large or small, could not be easier with our dedicated in-house event managers. Our stunning estate is the perfect place to mix up the glamour and the mud, the thinking and the playing, the relaxing and the reinvigorating. With 15 unique event spaces we cater for a wide range of celebrations and corporate meetings. Our spaces include; Ochil House, The Henry Hall, The Ballroom, The Shooting Lodge, The Cellars and more. With standing capacity between 8–450 people, theatre style between 8–300, dinner/dance/awards between 2-220 and cabaret style between 12-190.
Extra Notable Features
We offer up to 50 different activities on the estate for all ages and abilities to enjoy, including;
• Golf – with 3 x 18 hole championship golf courses, 1 x 9 hole par 3 course, 1 pitch & putt course, 4 putting greens, 1 golf academy and 5 PGA professionals, Gleneagles is truly the home of golf in Scotland. We were host to The 2014 Ryder Cup, played on the PGA Centenary Course, designed by Jack Nicklaus and the 2019 Solheim Cup.
• Falconry – The Gleneagles Falconry School is the place to learn all about these magnificent birds of prey. Our group and individual falconry experience lessons have been created to suit novices and experienced handlers alike.
• Equestrian – We offer horse riding lessons, a polo school and carriage rides open to both residents and non-residents.
• Shooting – The Shooting and Fishing School is set on a spectacular grouse moor and teaches the full range of shooting disciplines. The clay target shooting layout has been developed over the past 20 years into the world-class facility it is today. We also offer deer stalking and game bird shooting.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Best Hotel – Virtuoso Best of the Best Awards 2022
• No. 1 hotel in the Scottish Highlands & No. 1 hotel in Scotland, U.S. News & World Report Best Hotels 2022
• Golf Operations Team of the Year award in the 59club Service Excellence Awards
• No.1 Golf Resort in Britain & Ireland – Golf World Magazine 2021• IAGTO Community Value Award, 2021 • Gold status – Green Tourism, 2021
• No. 1 UK Resort in the Conde Nast Traveller 2021 Readers’ Choice Awards, 2021
• No. 2 in the world in Golf World and Today’s Golfer new Top 100 Golf Resorts list, 2021
• No 6 in the Top 10 Resort Hotels in the UK and Ireland, Travel + Leisure 2021
• The Tatler Travel Awards 2020 – ‘Best Restaurant Scene’. Inclusion in the Tatler Travel Guide 2020 (a list of the 101 best hotels and destinations around the world)
• Best UK Hotel in the Condé Nast Traveller’s Readers’ Choice Awards 2020
• Scotland’s Best Golf Hotel in the World Golf Awards 2020
• Best Hotel in the world in The Times and The Sunday Times Travel Awards 2020
• Hotel of the Year Scotland – AA Hospitality Awards
• Best Golf Resort in the World – The Daily Telegraph and Ultratravel Magazine’s ULTRAs awards
• No. 1 Golf Resort in the UK & Ireland – Golf World Magazine
• 101 best hotels and destinations around the world – Tatler Travel Guide 2020
• Best Hotel/Resort in Scotland – Today’s Golfer
• Ranked among ‘The 20 Best Hotels in the World’ in the Condé Nast Traveller 2018 Gold List
• Best UK Family Hotel in The Angels & Urchins Family Travel Awards 2018 Winners
• Ultimate Golf Resort – 2018 59club Awards
• Winner of the Luxury Hotel category at the 2018 Hospitality Design Awards
• Best Hotel in the UK – Condé Nast Traveller’s 2018 Readers’ Travel Awards
• ‘European Golf Resort of the Year 2019’ IAGTO Awards
• ‘Best Spa in Scotland’ – Good Spa Guide 2018 Awards
• Best Event Space (for Ennismore/Gleneagles/3DReid/Ochil House) at the 2018 AHEAD Awards
• Best Golf Resort in the World – 2018 ULTRAS AWARDS (Daily Telegraph/Ultratravel
• Hotelier of the Year (Conor O’Leary) – The Brit List 2018 (Hotel Designs)
• ‘Domestic Bliss’ winner (UK Hotel) in the National Geographic Traveller Reader
• Best UK Golf Resort in the Square Mile Golf Awards 2018
Number of employees