Grand Hotel et de Milan Italy
Grand Hotel et de Milan
Via Manzoni 29, 20121 Milan, Italy
Privately owned by the Bertazzoni family who manages the Grand Hotel et de Milan for 3 generations, over 60 years of active management
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Mr. Andrea Piantanida has an international background in the hotel industry, spending the first years of his career in Asia and moving later on back to his own country Italy. Since 2019 he joined the “Grand Hotel et de Milan” as General Manager.
5-star Luxury hotel, LHW member
The aim of the family is to offer boutique hotels with tailor-made services, located in strategic locations. While the Grand Hotel et de Milan is a landmark for the city and still preserves all the charm of ancient Milanese ‘house’, in 2003 the family also opened a 4-star design hotel situated few steps from the Duomo Cathedral. The hotel was designed using unique materials, recycling objects experimenting with the surrounding environments.
Grand Hotel et de Milan
History & Story
A place rich in atmosphere, full of traces left by the passage of great personalities whose names have shaped history. The most illustrious of these guests was the Maestro Giuseppe Verdi, who stayed here for 27 years and composed his most famous works “Othello” and “Falstaff”. Opened in 1863, the Grand Hotel et de Milan preserves all the charm of an ancient Milanese « house ».
The recent renovation started in 2019, entrusted to Studio Dimore of Milan, has enriched the various environments with light contemporary touches, while maintaining the allure intact, with an intervention focused on fabrics, carpets, colors, and decorations. We have now completed a public areas refurb with new furniture, a new moquette in the entire building, restoration of both facades and their lighting. In the pipeline with our program, we are in due course of changing all beds and mattresses, all television and adding new technologies to the rooms, remodeling most of the bathrooms removing bathtubs, and replacing them with large shower boxes.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• strategic location: just a few steps from the financial district, the Teatro Alla Scala, the Fashion District, and the Duomo cathedral
• history: The most ancient hotel in Milan, opened in 1863, with more than a century of heritage
• iconic: The passage of distinguished guests, who have chosen the Grand Hotel et de Milan throughout the years as their “Milanese house”.
• one of the few hotels still owned by a private family
Located in the city center, just a few steps from the Financial District, the Teatro Alla Scala, the Fashion District, and the Duomo Cathedral.
Key sites/activities in the area
The Hotel is a few steps from the Financial District, the Teatro Alla Scala, the Fashion District, and the Duomo Cathedral. Point of reference, in fact, for guests looking for luxury, shopping, and shows from the famous Theatre Alla Scala or for business trips. Tourists find the hotel position strategic as it is very close to museums and popular attractions such as the Duomo Cathedral.
Nowadays there are still many artists and singers who choose to stay in the Presidential Suite (Verdi’s original apartment). During the years many messages and wishes addressed to the great composer were found behind his portrait, hung on the Suite wall, written by the guests who stayed in the room. This shows how the Italian composer still lives in people’s minds inspiring them.
In the course of restructuring work, carried out between 1990 and 1993, a part of the great Roman walls, that Emperor Massimiliano had erected in 250 A. D. came to light. The remains of the wall were painstakingly restored and may now be viewed under the restaurant Don Carlos. The area around the walls has been set as a magnificent cellar and offers a large selection of prestigious wines.
The hotel does not provide special space or program dedicated to children, however, the hotel is children-friendly.
• Number of suites: 23 dedicated suites from 40sqm up to 100 sqm, facing mostly Inner courtyard or view on the most exclusive shopping streets. It has large marble bathrooms, a mini bar, welcome amenities, safe and tea supplies.
• Number of Luxury rooms: 72 rooms from standard category up to the premium room, starting from 23 sqm up to approximately 40sqm, facing mostly Inner courtyard or view on the most exclusive shopping streets. It has large marble bathrooms, a mini bar, welcome amenities, a safe, tea and coffee station.
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 95 rooms
Restaurants & Bars
• The Caruso restaurant, with its pleasant “jardin d’hiver”, offers cuisine that reinterprets traditional Milanese dishes in a contemporary key inside the delightful Veranda set in the green environment of the small square, period furniture cohabits with contemporary elements, creating a timeless atmosphere that recalls the one of the Parisian Bistrot.
• In an intimate and refined setting, recreated by paintings, sketches, and scene paintings from Teatro Alla Scala’s museum. The“Don Carlos” proposes Italian traditional cuisine revisited by our chef Mr. Mauro Moia
• Gerry’s Bar: a discreet, elegantly private lounge in the heart of Milan. Perfect for a cup of tea, an aperitif, light bites throughout the day, it becomes, together with its American bar, an after-theatre place open until late in the evening. An oasis of tranquility, the ideal location for business appointments far from the chaotic noise of the city.
• The fitness room is located on the second floor in a large terrace completely surrounded by green, with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the internal courtyard.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• The Puccini lounge, decorated with a prestigious collection of paintings by Maria Luigia d’Austria, represents a classic example of nineteenth-century liberty architecture. The capacity of 120 pax theatre style
• A spacious corridor separates the Puccini lounge from the Giordano one, in which a marvelous “papier peintre” welcomes guests in an intimate and refined setting, typical of the traditional Milanese palaces. The capacity of 50 pax theatre style
• The Verdi Lounge is a sumptuous room, perfectly maintained in its splendor, ideal for receptions and business meetings in a lavishly decorated atmosphere. The capacity of 40 pax theatre style.
Extra Notable Features
Hotel and restaurant Awards
Number of employees