Grand Hotel Kronenhof Switzerland
Grand Hotel Kronenhof
Via Maistra 130
St. Moritz – Swiss Alps Switzerland
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager:
Since 2013 Mr. Marc Eichenberger is the general manager of the Grand Hotel Kronenhof. In 2021 he has been nominated as hotelier of the year by the “Bilanz-Hotel-Rating”.
Grand Hotel Kronenhof is a 5* luxury hotel, member of Swiss Deluxe Hotels.
Grand Hotel Kronenhof
History & Story
The hotel has been founded in 1848 by Family Gredig as “Gasthaus Rössli” and was the first hotel in the Swiss Alps region. This year we are celebrating 175 years. Since 1898, when the hotel was given its present name « Kronenhof & Bellavista », the building has been a horseshoe-shaped three-wing structure with a forecourt. The neo-baroque building is one of the most architecturally significant Alpine hotels of the 19th century. In 1989, after 140 years of family tradition, the family Gredig sold the hotel. In 2004, the heritage-protected house once again changed hands when AG Grand Hotels Engadinerkulm, who also owns the Kronenhof’s sister hotel Kulm Hotel St. Moritz, purchased the Kronenhof Pontresina.
Even though the hotel is from 1848, our aim is always to keep up with the modern times and renovate and adapt respectively under the slogan: “Since generations, for generations”.
As the hotel does have an off-season every year, we are always investing money in renovations and refurbishments.The last ones have been designed by the French star architect Pierre-Yves Rochon, who is globally recognized for his exceptional work.
2016 & 2020 refurbishment of 29 rooms in total
2019 renovation of the Fumoir and the Salon Julier
2021 refurbishment of all our public spaces (Reception, Concierge, Lobby, Chimney Room and Bar)
2023 renovation of further 10 rooms, including the “Kronenhof Suite“
Date Added Extansions
2007- Bellavista area: underground car park, 28 additional rooms and suites & 2000 sqm wellness area.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Family friendly hotel with complimentary offerings, Award-winning spa
Winter: Skiing, Snowboarding, sliding, ice-skating, Bob and Cresta run, curling, ice-climbing, fat-biking
Summer: hiking, stand-up paddling, sailing, windsurfing, kitesurfing, mountain-biking, e-biking, golfing,
All year: horse carriage ride, shopping, various museums and concerts, spa
Grand Hotel Kronenhof is located in the village of Pontresina, a ten minutes’ drive from St. Moritz and offers the best of both worlds: the chance to enjoy the glitz of St. Moritz, while staying in a peaceful mountain village. From the hotel you have direct access to the cross-country ski slopes in front of the hotel as well as the natural ice-skating rink on the hotel premises.
• Double Room Standard Classic (27-30 sqm), views of the forecourt or of « Laret », the old part of Pontresina
• Double Room Standard Premium (32 – 34 sqm), view of St. Moritz mountain range or forecourt
• Superior Single Room (19-26 sqm), view over the hotel forecourt or the Engadine Mountains
• Superior Double Room (31 -37 sqm), view of St. Moritz mountain range or forecourt
• Deluxe Single Room (27-29 sqm)
• Deluxe Classic Double Room (31 – 40 sqm), view of the St. Moritz mountain range and Roseg glacier
• Deluxe Premium Double Room (38 sqm), view of Engadine Mountains and some with view of the Roseg Glacier
• Grand Classic Junior Suite (42-47 sqm), south-facing suites in the main house
• Grand Premium Junior Suite (45 sqm), south-facing with a view of the Roseg Glacier
• Grand Deluxe Junior Suite (50-57 sqm), south-facing with a view of the Roseg Glacier
• Kronenhof Suite (74 sqm), south-facing with a view of the Roseg Glacier
• Fireplace Suite (63 sqm), view of Roseg Glacier
• Diavolezza Suite (63 sqm), view of Roseg Glacier
• Roseg Suite (58 sqm), view of Roseg Glacier
• Engiadina Suite (58 sqm), view of Roseg Glacier
• Valentine Suite (56 sqm), view of Laret, the old part of Pontresina
• Segantini Suite (52 sqm), view of Laret, the old part of Pontresina
• Laret Suite (48 sqm), view of « Laret », the old part of Pontresina
• Ballaval Suite (58 sqm), view of Roseg Glacier
Mrs. Gredig, did always look out of the window of her living room and counted the luggage on the horse carriage of the arriving guests. The more luggage they had, the higher she made the room price.
Clients of all ages are very welcome to our hotel. The hotel does especially put a focus on the little guests: Children of all ages are very welcome to our property. Our kid’s club is open daily from 4 to 8 pm and is offering a huge programme for children between 3 and 12 years old. Under the age of three children can use the kids club under the supervision of an adult person. In the kids club we do offer activities such as: treasure hunting. Movie nights, pyjama parties, New Year’s Eve part, Carnival party, etc.
Additionally babysitting service is offered on request.
Restaurants & Bars
Gourmet restaurant Kronenstübli (dinner)
• has been awarded 16 Gault Millau points
• we serve masterpieces of Italian-Mediterranean and French cooking
• Signature dish is “Canard à la presse”, one of the most spectacular classics of the French cuisine
• casual outdoor restaurant open for lunch & afternoon drinks/snacks, which offers light meals in a cosy atmosphere
• offers spectacular view of the Val Roseg glaciers
• in winter lunch can be combined with a tour on our ice skating rink or simply by enjoying the sun on the terrace.
Grand Restaurant (half board Restaurant for breakfast and dinner)
• guests can experience a wide culinary variety as well as a sense of history and of elegance.
• the restaurant does still require an evening dress code which corresponds to the elegant atmosphere of the hotel.
Lobby is the perfect place for a comfortable Afternoon Tea or champagne. The stylish Smoker’s Lounge is the spot for fine cigars with friends and our Kronenhof Bar is a great place to relax and socialise with a few drinks. All three outlets have just received a contemporary new look through the interior star architect Pierre-Yves Rochon and are also attracting external guests.
2000 sqm Kronenhof Spa
• Pool: 20 m Pool, Children’s Pool, Water in motion, Stone Grotto Steam Bath, Salt Water Grotto, Relax- Floating Grotto, Kneipp Footpath
• Finnish Sauna, Bio Sauna and Relaxation Room with fireplace
• Fitness centre with Technogym equipment
• Various treatment rooms for manicure, pedicure and massages
• Private Spa Suite
• Yoga Platform in Summer time
Corporate & Celebrations events
• Grand Restaurant: 425 sqm, max. 400 people
• Wine cellar: 250 sqm, max. 120
• Tavern: 110 sqm, max. 100
• Bowling alley: 102 sqm, max. 40
• Salon Bleu: 79 sqm, max. 80
• Sela: 61 sqm, max. 70
• Salon Roseg: 55 sqm, max. 50
• Salon Julier: 33 sqm, max. 12
• Gredig Stübli: 19 sqm, max. 10
Extra Notables Features
• Spa & Cocktail Night in the spa area once per month
• Singing Bowl Meditation with Lucia Aloisio
• Acqua fitness, yoga and pilates courses, outdoor Yoga platforms
• Personal fitness trainer
• Green fee at the 9 -hole Kulm Golf course
• Wine tasting event
Hotel and Restaurant Awards
• Connoisseur Circle 2022 – Best Hotels in Switzerland
• Sonntagszeitung Hotel Ranking 2022 – The best winter hotels in Switzerland
• Bilanz – 50 best holiday resorts of Switzerland 2022
• Travellers’ Choice Award Best of the Best 2022
• Travellers’ Choice Award 2022
• Connoisseur Circle 2021 – Best Hotels in Switzerland
• Sonntagszeitung Hotel Ranking 2021 – Top 15 winter hotels
• Condé Nast Traveler’s 2021Reader’s Choice Award
• Bilanz Hotelier of the Year and among the Top 10 Holiday Hotels 2021
• Recommended on Holiday Check 2021
• Traveller’s Choice Best of the Best Award 2021
• Falstaff Hotel Guide 2021
• Sonntags Zeitung Hotel Ranking 2021
• The 50 Best Holiday Resorts in Switzerland 2020
• Travellers’ Choice Best of the Best Award 2020
• HolidayCheck Award 2020: 6 out of 6 rating points
• Trust You Award of Excellence 2019
• Bilanz: The 50 Best Holiday Hotels in Switzerland
Number of Employees
120 (summer) -180 (winter)