Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel Greece
Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel
1 V.Georgiou A’ Street, 10563, Syntagma Square, Athens, Greece
Lampsa Hellenic Hotels SA
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Mr Hom Parviz
5-star Luxury member of Luxury Collection by Marriott International
HOTEL GRANDE BRETAGNE, A LUXURY COLLECTION HOTEL
History & Story
After the Ottoman fall in 1830, Athens began to attract a new type of visitor—wealthy Greeks from the “Diaspora” intent on reclaiming their ancestral heritage. Among these, Antonis Dimitrios returned in 1842 to start a business. He acquired a plot of land opposite the Palace of King Otto and commissioned Athens’ first “Stadtpalais”—a majestic residence that reflected the refined city lifestyle enjoyed in London and Paris. His impressive 90-room mansion was the first incarnation of today’s hotel.
The hotelier Savvas Kentros purchased the former Dimitriou home with Efstathios Lampsas in 1874, and with a staggering loan of 800,000 drachmas, transformed it into the Hotel Grande Bretagne. With its unprecedented opulence, the glittering hotel was heralded as Athens’ finest.
In 1896 the hotel hosted the first International Olympic Committee for the 1st Modern Olympic Games that took place in Athens at that year.
Hotel Grande Bretagne served as the Headquarters of the Greek Army on the first year of World War II. When Greece fell to Nazi occupation in 1941, the hotel was turned into headquarters of the Third Reich. At the end of World War II, the unrest continued as civil war erupted between the communist resistance and the Greek Army. The Hotel Grande Bretagne housed scores of refugees for years while hosting diplomatic negotiations between George Papandreou and the British delegation, most notably Winston Churchill.
With peace finally restored in 1956, the hotel was able to re-open its doors to the world’s social, political, and economic elite. When the Junta of 1967 collapsed in 1974, Constantine Karamanlis spent four months forming a new government from his fifth-floor suite.
Date added extensions
1927, 1957 and 2003
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• Best location in the city center of Athens, within walking distance to all major historic sites, restaurants, shopping and night life.
• The only hotel in the city with a view to 3 important iconic monuments: the Acropolis, the Parliament and Panathenian Stadium (venue of the 1st modern Olympic Games 1896).
• Connected with the modern history of Greece, a significant heritage building for the City of Athens.
• Top quality fine dining experiences and impeccable views in our multi awarded GB Roof Garden Restaurant.
• Multi awarded GB Spa, one of the best Spas in Greece.
Syntagma (Constitution Square) in Athens, Europe’s Oldest Capital. Situated right in the heart of the city since 1874, just opposite the Greek Parliament, the landmark hotel is within walking distance of exclusive shopping areas, bars, restaurants museums, and the business district.
Key sites/activities in the area
The Acropolis with the New Acropolis Museum, The Ancient Agora, Plaka, Thission, Temple of Zeus, the Monastiraki Flea Market, the Panathenian Stadium and many more points of interest are located within walking distance. The ceremonial changing of the Guards is a daily ritual visible from Hotel Grande Bretagne. The National Gallery, the Museum of Cycladic Art, the B&E Goulandri Foundation of Contemporary Art, the new National Museum of Modern & Contemporay Art, and other significant museums and galleries are located within a 2km radius.
• Alexander’s Bar, the main bar of Hotel Grande Bretagne, was voted the Best Hotel Bar in the world by Forbes magazine for many reasons !
• Hotel Grande Bretagne was the first building in Athens to receive electricity together with the Royal Palace of Greece (now the Greek Parliament) back in 1888 !
• Hotel Grande Bretagne has hosted 2 different IOCs for 2 different Olympic Games that stand more than 100 years apart (1st Olympic Games and 28th Olympic Games in 1896 and 2004) !
Hotel Grande Bretagne welcomes children and wishes to make their stay as pleasant and welcoming as possible. An assortment of snacks & meals can be found in the In-room Dining and in all restaurants children’s menus. Disposable bottles & high chairs are available upon request. A 50% discount on all laundry and dry-cleaning services applies for children’s garments. Professional babysitting services are offered upon request. Children love to spend time around our swimming pool. Families usually spend time learning about Greek mythology and Ancient Greek culture by organising family friendly city and Acropolis tours.
• Number of suites: 59, from 48sqm/516sqft to 90sqm/968sqft
Courtyard View, City View or Acropolis View depending on the category
• Number of Luxury rooms: 259, from 28sqm/301sqft to 36sqm/387sqft
• Courtyard View, City View or Acropolis View depending on the category
• Number of Presidential Suites: 1, 200sqm/2152sqft
• View to the Acropolis, Syntagma Square and Greek Parliament
• Number of Royal Suites: 1, 400sqm/4304sqft
• View to the Acropolis, Syntagma Square and Greek Parliament
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 320
Restaurants & Bars
• GB Roof Garden
• Winter Garden
• Atrium Cafe at Alexander’s Lounge
• GB Pool Bar & Grill
• Executive Chef : the multi awarded Mr Asterios Koustoudis, member of MILUX Executive Chef Advisory Board
• GB Spa, 6 treatment rooms, 1 sauna, 3 steam baths, 1 gym
• Indoor Pool
• Outdoor Pool
• Hair Salon
Corporate & Celebration Events
• 15 meeting rooms with a total capacity between 5 to 450 people available for social and corporate events as well as meetings, forums, congresses.
Extra Notable Features
• “Pool Your Cinema” – Movies and bites in our open-air, by the pool summer cinema
• “Meet the Sommelier” – Our daily Epicurian moment in our Wine Library
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Toques d’or Winners for GB Roof Garden by Athinorama
• Best of Award of Excellence 2018 GB Roof Garden Restaurant by Wine Spectator for GB roof Garden
• General Manager of the year for all of Southern Europe and Luxury Hotels in Europe for 2017 for our GB
• “Market share Excellence” South Europe & Luxury Hotels by Marriott International
• Greece’s Leading Hotel Suite 2018 – Presidential Suite by World Travel Awards
• « The Green Key » 2018 eco-label by the Foundation for Environmental Education
• Golden Hat GB Roof Garden Restaurant by Athinorama
• Gold List 2018 by Conde Nast Traveller
Number of employees