Hotel Il Pellicano Italy
Hotel Il Pellicano
58019 Porto Ercole GR,
Date of Creation
Angelo Maria Russo
5-star luxury (part of LHW)
HOTEL IL PELLICANO
History & Story
In 1950 two lovers, a charismatic American socialite, Patsy Daszel, and a dashing British aviator, Michael Graham, created a romantic hideaway in a secret cove. They were swept away by the area and they had a vision for Il Pellicano. Glamorous friends, came to bathe in the azure sea and party by moonlight; soon this Tuscan home was transformed into Il Pellicano. There was nowhere else like it: the pristine cove sheltered by rugged cliffs, the romance and spontaneity. In 1979, Roberto Sciò fell in love with the hotel’s beauty and bought it. Today, his daughter Marie-Louise, CEO and Creative Director of Pellicano Hotels Group, keeps that Pellicano style right up to date, a combination of freewheeling spirit and old. As an acknowledged arbiter of contemporary fine tastes and armed with an architectural background, Marie-Louise cultivates a contemporary creative spirit at Il Pellicano, which she shares with warmth and wit.
2021 (gym, boutique, some rooms – including new categories – restaurants décor)
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Wine-lovers attend the “sommelier notes” wine tastings
Special events with sparkling wine and seafood canapés
Boutique with ISSIMO corner
The hotel spills down Monte Argentario into a cove of rare beauty. It is a secret Tuscan cove between Rome and Pisa, in Porto Ercole.
Il Pellicano is somewhere to enjoy the abundant riches of Tuscany’s Maremma region: wine tasting, medieval hill towns and artistic gardens.
From Il Pellicano trails run up to Monte Argentario’s hillside, aromatic with myrtle, heather, juniper and rosemary.
Ten minutes away is Porto Ercole and further afield Porto Santo Stefano is Monte Argentario’s largest port townand more down to earth with its working rhythm. Orbetello is reached by one of the three spits of land that create the two lagoons decoratively inhabited by pink flamingos and white herons. There are also two rather beautiful stretches of sandy beach, Giannella and Feniglia.
Italy’s Argentario Coast is gorgeous and the Tuscan Archipelago is a natural paradise with islet jewels from Elba to Montecristo.
Key sites/activities in the area
- Walk and days trips
- Horseback riding
- Golf & Polo
- Water sport
- Number of suites: 23
- Junior Suite – Garden View. Suites with private garden right next to the gym and between ancient olive
- Deluxe Suite. Located in the central building or in the cottages, offer a beautiful view over the Tyrrhenian Sea from their terraces and balconies. They have an indisputable cachet and a cache of vivid colors, from waves of green rosemary to sapphire seas.
- Master Suite. One or two bedroom Tuscan home in this stylish Porto Ercole retreat, with rooms and terraces showered in sunlight.
- Iconic Suite. Two bedrooms suites with a large private terrace with panoramic view on
the Argentario blue coast.
- Pellicano Suite. 1 Master Deluxe Suite with Private Garden, has two bedrooms, three bathrooms a lush and
comfortable private garden enriched by the unique Tuscan style of the 60s.
- Argentario Suite 1. Two bedroom spacious living, private pool and views that seduced the adventurers who created this romantic hideaway.
- Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 47 (24 rooms + 23 suites)
- Classic Room. Perfect simplicity, rooms created with the light luxury and Italian flair that typifies Il Pellicano.
- Superior Room – Garden View. Blessed with the panorama flourishing from the Mediterranean gardens created by the Architect Paolo Pejrone, these rooms are located in the cottages.
- Superior Room – Sea View. Rooms with a panoramic balcony, capturing all the natural beauty of the original romantic love nest.
Restaurants & Bars
- Ristorante Il Pellicano 1* Star. At Ristorante Il Pellicano the gourmet Chef Michelino Gioia offers traditional Italian cuisine with a twist of international flavours.
- Pelligrill – Tuscan Grill. Traditional tuscan cuisine with Chef Michelino Gioia
- Bar All’Aperto. Federico Morosi, the barman, swizzles in something from a local producer, , he has written a book of recipes based on the local liquor Santa Maria Novella.
- Bar Roberto. Federico Morosi and his staff delight guests with tempting cocktails accompanied by Chef Michelino Gioia’s finger food.
- Wine Cellar. The reign of our sommelier is a trove of treasures. Il Pellicano’s wine cellar boasts around 1500 bottles of the finest red, white and champagnes
- BEACH CLUB & POOL. The Beach Club is so elegant and there’s an elevator slipping up and down the cliffside to the water’s edge, the esplanade trimming Il Pellicano’s private bay is painted a spanking white. The legendary pool is outdoor heated seawater
- BOUTIQUE. The boutique is a Pellicano collection curated by the Creative Director Marie-Louise Sciò, from beach chic to glamorous evening wear. In 2020 the boutique was renovated and enhanced to welcome the new ISSIMO corner, the latest exciting venture created by Marie-Louise Sciò.
- PELLICLUB. There is a caldarium, three treatment rooms with private showers, including one for couples, and a shiatsu mat room. The beauty parlour offers a complete service from manicure to coiffure.
- SPORTS. The elegant tennis court is framed in a march of cypress trees. Sunrise yoga is available by the bay. A true sports suite located behind the tennis courts, our brand new indoor/outdoor state-of-the-art gym includes a complete set-up for fitness activities and is outfitted with the latest in Technogym equipment.
Corporate & Celebration Events
- PARTIES by the pool, by the sea and by moonlight
For exceptional occasions Il Pellicano can be made exclusively available for private event.
Weddings, parties and events can be organized in any of the dazzling settings; by the pool, the sea, amidst showers of bougainvillea.
Il Pellicano stages also excellent events for incentive programmes, product launches and business gatherings.
Extra Notable Features
- Cooking classes with our Executive Chef
- Cocktail class with our barman
- Scuba diving in the coves around Monte Argentario
- Wine tasting with our Sommelier or offsite to selected wineries in the Maremma region
- All-day retreats to the Thermal baths of Saturnia
Hotel and restaurant Awards
- THE TOP 15 EUROPEAN RESORT HOTELS 2021, TRAVEL + LEISURE
- WORLD’S 100 BEST HOTELS 2021, TRAVEL + LEISURE
- WORLD’S 100 BEST HOTELS TATLER TRAVEL GUIDE 2021
- FIVE STARS HOTELS 2021, FORBES
Readers choice award Europe Top Hotels in Italy 2020 – Conde Nast Traveller
- FIVE STARS HOTELS 2020, FORBES
ONE OF THE BEST BEACH HOTELS – Condè Nast Traveller Gold List 2018, USA
ONE OF THE BEST HOTELS IN ITALY – Condè Nast Traveller Gold List 2019, UK & USA
BEST HONEYMOON RESORT – Elle International Bridal Awards 2019
Readers’ Choice Awards Europe, Top Hotels in Italy 2018, Condé Nast Traveler
Gold List 2018, Condé Nast Traveler
IL PELLICANO Restaurant 1 Michelin
Gold List 2017 (Condé Nast Traveller 2017, UK)
The Best Hotels in the World, Golden List 2017, UK, Condé Nast Traveler
One of the best hotel’s bars in the World (Condé Nast Traveler 2015, USA)
The best non-urban hotel in the world (Condé Nast Traveller 2015, Spain)
The Best Hotel in Italy (Condé Nast Traveler 2016, USA)
One of the best Hotels of the World (Condé Nast Traveler 2016, USA)
Number of employees