Rosewood Hotels & Resorts
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Managing Director: Roland Dürr.
Roland has been with Rosewood for over 10 years, beginning as the hotel manager of the Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel in New York. He was the managing director of Rosewood Abu Dhabi, where he has been since 2016 till 2022 before he started his new and current position as the managing director of the new opening Rosewood Munich. Prior to joining Rosewood, Roland had an extensive career in hospitality food and beverage, holding manager positions at Jumeirah Beach Hotel in Dubai, Four Seasons Hotel Belrin, Burj Al Arab in Dubai and Jumeirah Essex House in New York.
History & Story
• In 1892, the Royal Branch Bank, the Munich branch of the Royal Bavarian Bank, acquired three plots of land at the corner of Kardinal-Faulhaber-Straße/Prannerstraße and had the existing palaces demolished.
• In 1893/94, a unified building was constructed across the three plots of land according to the plans of architect Albert Schmidt, who was also the owner of the construction company executing the project.
• Completed in 1893/94, the first « Royal Bavarian Bank » in Munich moved into the buildings with the facades that still exist today. The ensemble was expanded to the north in 1907 to create symmetry with the main view from Kardinal-Faulhaber-Straße
• Bought from Bayrische Hausbau in 2011
• Three independent, listed buildings will be merged into a hotel
• Housed in two landmark, historical buildings comprised of the former headquarters of the State Bank of Bavaria and the adjacent Palais Neuhaus-Preysing.
Opening date: 29.09.2023
Interior design: Tara Bernerd
F&B design: Dippold Innenarchitektur
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
First hotel opening after 16 years
First ultra luxury property in munich and in the german market
• Located in the heart of Munich´s old town
• The hotel is located directly next to the Marinplatz and the Odeonsplatz
• The famous « Eisbachwelle » in the English garden is just a short walk away
Key sites/activities in the area
• Munich residenz
• Theatiner church
• Bavarian opera house
• Over 1000 t of tiles and natural stone adorn the walls and floors: marble from Italy, limestone from Iran, quartzite from Brazil and granite from South Africa. The guests have the world at their feet, so to speak.
• 5000 years is the age of the technique used to restore the gold leaf in the Preysingsaal. Known as “poliment gilding”, it involves first cleaning the gold using the dried crust of black bread that is several days old
• 250 construction workers labored during the peak phase of the work on the interior – working simultaneously on completely different parts of the building
• 350 km of installation and data cables were laid – this corresponds the distance between Munich and Milan as the crow flies
• The magnificent historic facades of the buildings will be preserved. The same applies to individual listed building components: These include, for example, the staircase at Kardinal-Faulhaber-Straße 1 (entrance are of the hotel together with the vestibule) and the Preysing Hall.
• Number of suites: 54 Suites plus 5 Houses
• Number of Luxury rooms: 73
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 132
Restaurants & Bars
• Brasserie « CUVILLIÉS » – modern brasserie classics that embraces the unique culinary traditions of the Alpine region.
• Bar Montez – The bar reflects the lively spirit of Lola Montez, with unique interiors, vibrant art collection, distinctive glass objects created by Franz Mayer, all complemented by daily live Jazz
• Wintergarten & Palaishof – All day long F&B offerings
• Kitchenchef: Caspar Bork
• Asaya Spa
• Indoor Pool
• 6 Treatment Rooms
– 2 steam baths
– 1 Sauna
Corporate & Celebration Events
Extra notable features
• Mixology-, cooking- and Yoga classes
• Asaya Membership
• Complimentary pick-ups for bookings of Suites and Houses
Hotel and restaurant Awards
Number of employees