Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX, Amsterdam
Date of Creation
The property dates back to 1411, turned into a hotel since 1992
Hotel General Manager
Mrs Emmy Stoel
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers five-star luxury in a unique historical ambience. Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to Royal Brides and famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the halls and the beautiful Garden Terrace, poetry and history captivates and seduces everyone into visiting.
SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM
History & Story
The Grand is a hidden jewel located in the heart of the Amsterdam city centre, between two of the most picturesque canals. The superb downtown is only a stone throw away from major landmarks such as the Dam Square, Royal Palace and within walking distance of the famous shopping area ‘The Nine Streets’, Anne Frank House and the Hermitage Amsterdam.
Started as two Convents in 1411, the former Admiralty and previous City Hall of Amsterdam, this Legendary hotel presents an immensely rich history. The heritage is the inspiration for today’s contemporary design, the perfect blend of Dutch history and French luxury. Whilst retaining the soul of a historic site, Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 178 stunning rooms, including 52 luxurious suites with Butler Service.
Discover the Amsterdam of yesterday and today in style. Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam’s gracious fleet of luxury limousines, horse carriages and private boat jetty will transform the way of experiencing Amsterdam. Ensuring satisfaction by the efficient and experienced Les Clefs d’Or concierges, The Grand is the perfect choice for the discerning travellers and luxury stay in Amsterdam.
In 2012, a complete refurbishment has been completed with a total investment of 60 Million EUR. The entire property is restyled by the well known French Interior Designer Ms Cybille de Margerie.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• High personalized ‘cousu main’ service, Butler service to all Suite guests
• Located in heart of historical city centre Amsterdam, between the two most picturesque canals of Amsterdam
• On walking distance to major city hotspots and landmarks, such as The Royal Palace and Dam Square, famous shopping district The Nine Streets and various museums such as Anne Frank House
• Contemporary style hotel with Dutch historical influences, graced by French elegance and grandeur
• Best seafood restaurant of Amsterdam: Restaurant Bridges awarded with one Michelin star
• Home to a Private Inner Garden Terrace, offering serenity and tranquillity in the buzzing heart of Amsterdam. Which is unique in the city centre
What makes Amsterdam so attractive is the 17th Century historical atmosphere combined with the mentality of a modern metropolis creating a friendly and relaxed environment. The small scale of the buildings and the intimacy of the streets, canals and squares create an atmosphere that visitors find unique. The city has the highest museum density in the world and is home to cultural highlights, such as the Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank House, Hermitage Amsterdam and the Rijksmuseum with Rembrandt’s world-famous Nightwatch. Other well-known places of interest in Amsterdam are the Palace on the Dam, the Artis Zoo, Jewish Historical Museum and the Rembrandt House.
Key sites/activities in the area
• The Royal Palace
• The Dam Square
• Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank House, Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam museum, Hermitage museum and Rembrandt house
• Shopping district The Nine Streets
• Luxury shopping mall
• Famous Dutch canals (Unesco Heritage)
• Former HRH Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands was married in The Grand in 1966
• The Floral shop of The Grand arranged all flowers during the official Inauguration of HRH King Willem Alexander of The Netherlands in 2013 The Grand accommodated Royalties such as Maria de Medici – Queen of France in late 1500 and Maria Stuart – Princess Royal of the British Empire in early 1600.
We have a special welcome awaiting for our petit guests!
- Royal Suite
The well-appointed Royal Suite is located on the third floor of a former canal house and overlooks the hotel’s opulent courtyard. This most prestigious guest room will make you feel like the royals and admirals who have graced our building over the years. Contemporary design combined with monumental wood-beamed ceilings creates a real home away from home atmosphere.
Featuring a magnificent king-size bedroom with an upstairs private balcony, a spacious bathroom fraught with Hermès amenities, a living room with lounge and dining area adjacent to a small library with a working desk create the perfect setting for a business or leisure stay and butler service available during your stay.
- Imperial Suites
Since 1578 The Grand has welcomed celebrated authors, actors, ambassadors and heads of state. Along with the Willem van Oranje and Willem de Vijfde Suites, the Maria de Medici Suite is a testament to the rich history of The Grand, with its Dutch contemporary architecture, wall paintings and 20th-century décor.
- Opera Suites
The lavish Opera Suites offer you the ultimate in luxury. Overlooking the charming and peaceful inner garden these suites are immaculately designed to create a memorable stay. Bathrooms with double sinks, rainfall shower and a separate bathtub above which a flat-screen television is integrated, heighten the classic-meets-modern feel with iridescent glass tile mosaics.
- Canal House Suites
Walk into a genuine piece of Amsterdam history, in former homes of famous Dutch Admirals dating back to the 17th century. Timeless elegance with cream-coloured walls, wooden ceiling beams, warm autumn colours and a subtle mix of classic and contemporary furnishings; an elegant and soothing atmosphere in which to enjoy privacy, refinement and absolute comfort.
- Family Suite
Indulge in pure luxury and comfort in one of the interconnecting Family suites, including Butler service. The suites are equipped with a large king size, queen size and single Sofitel MyBed™ and a separate living room. The suite offers plenty of possibilities for families staying with us, enjoying the comfort of their own space, whilst staying close to their loved ones.
- Prestige Suite
Indulge in pure luxury and have the comfort of one of our seven iconic Prestige Suites overlooking the canal. 55 SQM / 592 SQF, king size Sofitel MyBed, WIFI/High-speed internet, fully air-conditioned, separate lounge with desk, DVD & BOSE system, safe deposit box, contemporary bathroom with rain shower and bath with TV.
- Junior Suite
The Junior Suites (45 SQM / 484 SQF) have a spacious bedroom with a king-size Sofitel MyBed and lounge area, WIFI /High-speed internet, fully air-conditioned, separate lounge with desk, DVD & BOSE system, safe deposit box, contemporary bathroom with rain shower and bath with TV.
- Family Room
Our interconnecting Family rooms provide the convenience to enjoy the comfort of your own space, whilst staying close to your family. The luxury contemporary design blends in perfectly with the art and digital gadgets. Our Family rooms give you the sense of the history of the building, as you can find high ceilings and large windows. Perfect for family trips.
- Luxury Rooms
The Luxury Rooms (35 SQM / 376 SQF), with views overlooking the inner garden or the canals, feature spectacular bathrooms with a bathtub and build in flat-screen TV. The characters displayed on the wall relate to our legendary guests from the past.
- Superior Rooms
Our Superior Rooms (30 SQM / 322 SQF) really give you the sense of the history of the building as you can find high ceilings and big windows. The luxury contemporary design blends in perfectly with the art and digital gadgets. The Superior rooms are available with a wonderful view of the garden or the courtyard.
Restaurants & Bars
Award-winning restaurant Bridges focuses mainly on fish, with a surprising à la carte menu and Chef’s menu. Chef de Cuisine Raoul Meuwese describes his dishes as « classic traditional French dishes, but with international influences and a modern twist ». A unique feature of Bridges is the Chef’s Table. In the heart of the kitchen, you can take a look behind the scenes with a party up to 6 people and enjoy the magic of the kitchen brigade. For private events, Bridges also provides a private dining experience, where you can enjoy an intimate dinner in the comfort of your own private space, with the cocktail station, cigar cabinet and a selection of speciality whiskeys. The private dining is suitable for parties up to 12 people.
Oriole is a casual, laid-back bistro, celebrating the most loved and recognized cuisines in the world, Mediterranean food. The seasonally rotating menu features recognizable Mediterranean dishes, that encompass simplicity, personality and flavour health. Enjoy a lovely aperitif on the terrace, a quick lunch or a festive Mediterranean dinner with a big group of friends in the relaxed and inviting interior, that takes you to the Mediterranean coast with its lush greenery.
- Library ‘Or’
The Library ‘Or’ is situated in the beautiful lobby, located directly by the entrance to the hotel. Sybille de Margerie drew inspiration from the colours of typically Dutch elements, such as the dark-grey street stones known as ‘klinkers’ and the deep, rich colours of the Amsterdam flower market. The Library ‘Or’ has a rich collection of books about local culture, architecture and French savoir-faire.
- The Flying Dutchman
A traditional Dutch brown café, serving an assortment of Dutch beers and snacks, alongside an extensive collection of whiskeys and spirits. Whether you read the newspapers over your daily cup of coffee, meet a friend for lunch or a quick bite, or imbibe a few beers after work, for many people their favourite bar inevitably becomes a home away from home.
- Garden Terrace
The Garden Terrace can be found in the beautiful and completely re-landscaped courtyard garden. It is one of Amsterdam’s best-kept secrets. An oasis of peace and tranquillity, away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It is the perfect location to savour culinary delights of Bridges or The Flying Dutchman if the weather permits.
The Sofitel SPA is a real escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. Therapies and treatments from around the world meet the refinement and skills of the latest trends in French cosmetology to create an exhilarating, uplifting and rejuvenating spa experience.
A visit to Sofitel SPA awakens the senses whilst completely re-energizing the mind, body and spirit. A wide range of relaxing treatments makes all the stress and strains of daily life fade away with the help of products chosen to enhance a natural glow.
The Sofitel SPA treatments offer you the perfect way to spend your day relaxing and enjoying an experience of total luxury. Our Sofitel SPA team is committed to providing the highest quality of service that will help you unwind from the stress of everyday life. They will pamper your mind, body and spirit, allowing you to relax, recharge, and re-energize.
Whether you book an appointment for hair and make-up, a quick manicure or pedicure, a relaxing massage or a yoga or personal training session, our Sofitel SPA team will do everything to make you shine.
Divided over two floors, Sofitel SPA offers a range of services, including two treatment rooms, a hammam, sauna, heated indoor swimming pool and relaxation room.
The Sofitel FITNESS provides the more sportive guest with state-of-the-art equipment, including the Technogym Kinesis resistance training system, cross trainers and Technogym bicycles.
Directly accessible from the Sofitel SPA is the Sofitel FITNESS area, for the exclusive use of club members and hotel guests. A personal trainer is available upon request.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Magnifique Meetings & Legendary Events
The 19 fully equipped Banqueting and Conference rooms, some of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities, following Sofitel’s Magnifique Meetings concept. Today, one of our most famous meeting rooms for banquets and conferences is the Council Chamber where H.R.H. Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands got married in 1966. The Marriage Chamber is another breathtaking listed room which is available for marriage ceremonies or private dinners. The captivating stained-glass windows with the garden view provide an elegant setting with a harmonious ode to marriage and love.
Extra Notable Features
• Garden Terrace
The perfect location to relax is our modern styled Garden Terrace. It is one of the best kept secrets of Amsterdam and an oasis of peace, away from the busy streets. On the lower deck lunch and dinner are served. The upper deck is a lounge area and perfectly suited for a relaxed gathering.
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
Hotel Awards for Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam 2020/2021
– EHMA Sustainability Award by Diversey 2021 – Winner
– Planet 21 Northern Europe Awards 2021 – Winner in category ‘Reduce carbon emission’
– TripAdvisor 2021 – Travellers’ Choice Best of the Best, ranked #4 in the top 25 Best Hotels in The Netherlands
– Haute Grandeur Global Hotel Awards 2021 – Best Historical Hotel on a Global level
– Haute Grandeur Global Hotel Awards 2021 – Best Restaurant Hotel in Europe
– Haute Grandeur Global Hotel Awards 2021 – Best City Hotel in Netherlands
– Haute Grandeur Global Hotel Awards 2021 – Best Classic Hotel in Netherlands
– Haute Grandeur Global Hotel Awards 2021 – Best City Spa on a Global level
– Haute Grandeur Global Hotel Awards 2021 – Best Hideaway Spa in Netherlands
– Haute Grandeur Global Hotel Awards 2021 – Best Hotel Spa in Netherlands
– Haute Grandeur Global Hotel Awards 2021 – Best Luxury Spa in Netherlands
– Haute Grandeur Global Hotel Awards 2021 – Most Hygienic Spa in Netherlands
– Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards 2020 – Ranked #11 in the top 25 Best Hotels in Northern Europe
– Forbes Travel Guide Awards 2020 – Recommended Award
– International Hotel Awards 2020 by International Property Media – Best Luxury Hotel in The Netherlands
– International Spa Awards 2020 – Best Luxury Hotel Spa in Netherlands
– Luxury Lifestyle Awards 2020 – Top 15 in The Best Luxury Hotels in Amsterdam
– Prestigious Star Awards 2020 – Best venue in The Netherlands
– Prestigious Star Awards 2020 – Best Private Dining Venue
– Resorts & Retreats Awards 2020 by LUX Magazine – Most Hospitable Modern Luxury Travel Company
– Travel & Leisure Readers Award 2020 – Ranked #14 in the top 25 World’s Best Hotel Brands 2020
– TripAdvisor 2020 – Travellers’ Choice Best of the Best Top & Best of the Best Luxury
– World Luxury Hotel Awards 2020 – Regional Win in Luxury City Hotel
– World Spa Awards 2020 – Best Hotel Spa in The Netherlands
– World Travel Awards 2020 – Netherlands’ Leading Hotel 2020
Restaurant Awards for Restaurant Bridges 2020/2021
– Jeunes Sommeliers Competition 2021- Winner Sasja Moonen
– Lekker Restaurant Top 500 2021- Ranked #30 in the Top 500 Best Restaurants in The Netherlands
– TripAdvisor 2021 – Travellers’ Choice Best of the Best, ranked #7 in the top 10 Best Luxury Restaurants in The Netherlands
– Wine Spectator Award 2021- Award of Excellence
– Gault Millau 2020 – Scored 15,5 points out of 20 points
– Haute Grandeur Global Restaurant Awards 2021 – Best International Cuisine on a Global level
– Haute Grandeur Global Restaurant Awards 2021 – Best Garden Restaurant in Europe
– Haute Grandeur Global Restaurant Awards 2021 – Best Head Chef in Europe
– Haute Grandeur Global Restaurant Awards 2021 – Best Food Styling Presentation in Netherlands
– Haute Grandeur Global Restaurant Awards 2021 – Best Seafood Restaurant in Netherlands
– Lekker Restaurant Top 500 2020 – Ranked #30 in the Top 500 Best Restaurants in The Netherlands
– TripAdvisor 2020 – Travellers’ Choice Best of the Best winner
– Wine Spectator Award 2020 – Award of Excellence
– World Luxury Restaurant Awards 2020 – Continent Winner in Fine Dining Cuisine
Number of employees