The Grand, York UK
The Grand, York
York, YO1 6GD
Sojourn Hotels LLP TA Splendid Hospitality Group.
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Simon joined The Grand, York as General Manager in April 2020 bringing over 25 years of experience within the hospitality industry to The Grand.
Over the course of his career, Simon has worked for a number of prestigious companies and has a wide range of experience across multiple hospitality markets. Simon’s career started in a local hotel in Warrington before moving to the world-famous Old Course Hotel in St Andrew’s, Scotland. He then moved to Whitbread Hotels and worked in a variety of roles across the UK including opening multiple properties and Area Manager for London.
Simon then moved to General Manager at the 400-bedroom Park Plaza County Hall in central London. Following five years with Park Plaza, Simon moved further afield to the Lancaster Bangkok where he spent three years as opening General Manager for this luxury property.
Prior to joining The Grand, York, Simon was Director of Operations for Europe’s fastest growing aparthotel company, edyn, where he had responsibility for all team and guests matters across Europe and oversaw significant brand expansion and multi-nation openings during his time with the business.
Simon’s passionate and motivational leadership qualities coupled with his flair for implementing change will see The Grand, York enter a new era. With Simon at the reins, the hotel is looking to push the boundaries of traditional hospitality in York and will be launching a series of experiential packages in the coming months, as well as growing and enhancing the hotel’s culinary offering.
In June 2021, Simon Mahon was one of nine leading hoteliers to be awarded the prestigious ‘Master Innholder’ status. The Master Innholders is one of hospitality’s leading forces and is publicly recognised as a standard bearer for the industry, offering career-changing training which aims to extend professionalism and influence standards across the sector.
5 star Luxury, Preferred Hotels & Resorts LVX
The Grand undergone substantial refurbishment with £15 million investment in 2019, doubling its bed-stock to 207 bedrooms, opening a second restaurant and bar, launch of an executive lounge and the transformation of the arrivals lounge. The Grand, York introduced the city’s first luxury cookery school in March 2019.
The Grand, York
History & Story
Originally built in 1906 as a ‘Palace of Business’ for the headquarters of The North Eastern Railway Company, then one of the richest businesses in Britain. The Grand was restored to the splendour of its Edwardian heyday during its transformation into a luxury hotel in 2010.
Everywhere you turn tells a story of the buildings history, from the vaulted doors within the spa, to the original office numbers carved above the doors. Historic spaces such as the old chairmans office now provide perfect settings for company meetings and private dining and celebrations.
As part of a multimillion-pound upgrade, The Grand, York refurbished its 1906 bar and lobby area in June 2018. Every corner has been redesigned, creating a new arrival lounge. The designer for the above was Twenty 2 Degrees and was inspired by our Edwardian building.
Date added extensions
The Grand, York has doubled in size after opening 100 new bedrooms in 2019. The new rooms have been inspired by The Grand’s Edwardian past as the headquarters of the North Eastern Railway and add to the hotel’s existing bedrooms, bringing the total room count to 207.
The White Rose Lounge was opened in April 2018. It is located on the ground floor of the hotel, and provides guests with modern conveniences and attentive service.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
The history of our building and the stories we can share make your stay at The Grand ultra special. This combined with our Yorkshire hospitality which is hospitality like no other makes The Grand extra special. Ensure you explore areas such as the Spa where they once stowed millions of pounds for the railway during your visit.
Imagine a city with Roman roots and Viking past, whereancientwallssurround 30 world-class museums, independent shops, vibrant eateries and a festival for everymonth of the year. Welcome to York – the Original City Adventure!
The Grand isbased 2 minutes walk from York Station in the heart of the City. Just 1.50hrs from London and 2.5hrs from Edinburgh.
Key sites/activities in the area
1. York Minster – The largest Gothic Cathedral in Northern Europe
2. York is surrounded by the longest and best-preserved medieval walls in England
3. Clifford’s Tower – Built in the reign of Henry II by William the Conqueror
4. The National Railway Museum – The largest railway museum in the world
5. Jorvik Viking Centre – A journey through Viking York, experience the sights, sounds and smells of the ancient city of York
6. Castle Howard – one of Britain’s finest stately homes, an 18th Century magnificent historic house.
7. The Yorkshire Dales is an upland area of the Pennines in the historic county of Yorkshire, England.
8. The North York Moors is an upland area in north-eastern Yorkshire, England. It contains one of the largest expanses of heather moorland in the United Kingdom.
1. During building work for the additional 100 bedrooms, an old Roman wall was discovered below the site.
2. The Grand Boardroom, the hotels largest function space once housed the largest board table in Britain.
3. Roman coins and artefacts where also discovered whilst excavating the swimming pool.
4. The Paterson Suite, a small function room within the hotel was named after Frank Paterson, General Manager of the North Eastern Railway and Frank still lives in York today.
5. For many of the hotels bedrooms, the original office numbers are still carved above the doors.
6. The Penthouse Suite was once the railway company care takers flat, where he lived with his family.
Our Grand Family Rooms are designed to fit a fabulous family of four. With space for extra beds and cots with all The Grand’s indulgent extras, these rooms make for the perfect backdrop for families travelling to York. We offer a host of family packages and services such as Parent & Child cookery classes, children’s spa, babysitting services and many more, to ensure the whole family enjoys a true home away from home experience. Children are classed up to 14 years of age.
• Children’s menu including afternoon tea is available.
• Children’s Bathrobes and slippers will be provided in the rooms.
• Extra beds and travel cots available to accommodate children up to 14 years.
• Fun vintage pedal cars available for children staying in our suites.
• Children activity packs in the room on arrival.
• I maybe little but I’m still ‘Grand’ balloons in room on arrival.
• Number of suites: 20
1 Penthouse Suite
Our Penthouse Suite offers the ultimate in luxury. Beautifully designed with an abundance of space, retreat to your super-king sized bed, socialise in the separate lounge area or relax in the luxurious roll top bath with views across the York skyline.
City views, separate lounge and dining areas, Luxury Molton Brown Toiletries, Welcome Tray, Free standing bath, Double walk in shower, Minibar, Underfloor Heating, Bathrobe & Slippers, Air Conditioning, Nespresso Machine, Access to Exclusive White Rose Lounge, Spa Access, Complimentary newspaper, butler service, Welcome drink, fruit & flowers, complimentary parking
10 Grand Heritage Suites
Our Grand Heritage Suites are traditionally styled, with a stunning combination of modern décor and original features. Enjoy a comfortable bed with Egyptian cotton bedding, spacious lounge, sunken bath and walk-in showers, with separate guest toilets. The perfect space to escape the middle of historic York. Grand Heritage Suites are 602 square foot/562M up to 645 square foot/602M.
9 Heritage Suites:
Each one of our historic heritage suites is discerningly unique and tells its own story. Abundantly spacious, with ‘his and hers’ sinks, single and double walk in showers, indulgent bathtubs and feature windows, our suites really are something special. The spacious seating area offers a relaxing space to finish your day in style and comfort. Heritage Suites are 495 square foot/462M up-to 548 square foot/512M in size.
Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 207
83 Executive bedrooms – Slightly larger than our Classic Rooms, the majority of our Executive Rooms also benefit from a walk-in shower, as well as marble-topped bathtubs. These rooms give you more space to relax and include complimentary access to the spa as well as a work desk area, perfect for business travellers. Room sizes are approximately 398 square foot / 382M in size.
104 Classic bedrooms – Our Classic Rooms are designed for discerning guests looking for a comfortable and stylish base which to do business or simply relax in following a hectic day enjoying the sights of York. They are special with elegangly designed bathrooms featuring a sunken marble bath with a power shower over. From 31m2 they benefit from underfloor heating,luxury toiletries,bathrobe & slippers, welcome tray, airconditioning, work desk and fridge.
Restaurants & Bars
• The Rise Restaurant, Terrace &Bar – Modern British cuisine made with fresh, seasonal, locally sourced ingredients. Open kitchen, cocktail bar and heated garden terrace. Live music on selected dates.
• The 1906 Bar – comfortable imitate bar serving classic and signature cocktails, premium spirits and whiskeys, fine array of lagers and Yorkshire Ales, handpicked quality wines and champagnes
• Afternoon tea at The Grand – choose from formal Grand afternoon tea or a more relaxed and fun afternoon tea.
• Bed and breakfast or half board available. Corporate and celebration events – paces should read spaces.
Spa at The Grand is located in the vaults of the building. An exclusive feel in a roman setting.
14meter heated swimming pool, spa whirlpool, aromatic steam room, Nordic dry sauna, relaxation lounge, state of the art gym.
A range luxury of Spa treatments available at a supplement.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Seven functions paces on the first floor of the hotel
• Maximum capacity up to 120 guests.
• A range of executive style meeting spaces with floor to ceiling windows, air-conditioning and free wifi. 55 inch plasma screens.
•Two flagship rooms with original oak panneling and parquet flooring, these rooms were the original Chairmans office for the railway and the original boadroom, with views across to York Minster.
Extra Notable Features
• The White Rose Lounge. Overlooking York Minster, The White Rose Lounge is fully equipped with TV screens, working stations with iMac laptops and printers, complimentary Wi-Fi, as well as newspapers and books, creating an ideal space to relax or catch up with business.
• Cookery School. Our state-of-the-art cookery school offers a variety of courses designed for everyone from novices to aspiring chefs. Not only are the cookery school classes ideal for learning a little extra about fine cuisine, but it serves as a dynamic setting for events and conferences as well as providing a unique and fun experience for individuals.
• Due to the location of the hotel, golf and other outdoor activities are only a short distance away.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• March 2018 – Best UK Hotel – Finalist – M&IT Awards
• February 2018 – Best City Hotel, Best Hotel for Food, Best Spa – LuxuryLifestyle Awards
• October 2017 – Outstanding Customer Service, White Rose Awards
• August 2017 – Outstanding Customer Service, GoHotels Awards
• May 2017 – Best Boardroom Awards, Conference and Hospitality Awards
• March 2017 – Young Chef of the Year Award, Chaines des Rotisseurs
• November 2016 – Award 3 AA Rosettes for Hudsons Restaurant
Number of employees