Widder Hotel Switzerland
Rennweg 7, 8001 Zürich
The Living Circle
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Jörg Arnold – General Manager
5 star superior hotel
LHW, Swiss Deluxe Hotels
Widder Hotel is part of The Living Circle. The Living Circle – is a hand-picked group of first-class hotels and restaurants in incomparably beautiful locations, run by dedicated hosts. Rice, vegetables, fruit and a whole array of exquisite products – including wine, of course – is whisked fresh from our own farms directly to your table. That is how we define luxury. That is The Living Circle – luxury hotels fed by nature.
History & Story
9 HOUSES – 1 HOTEL – 700 YEARS OF HISTORY
Over the years, these nine medieval townhouses have been home to gentry, merchants, artisans and heads of the local guilds, all of whom left their mark by building, living in, decorating and modifying their residences.
But to preserve these nine disparate historic houses while transforming them into a luxury modern hotel was a challenge – to which the well-known Swiss architect Tilla Theus had the answer. She has threaded the houses through with interconnecting passageways, creating gradual transitions where one house merges into the next. Chrome, steel and glass have been introduced to complement the old stone walls and wooden beams. Theus also selected a particular type of wood and a specific kind of stone for use in each house. This ambitious conversion took a decade and was completed in 1995.
More than 1,000 conservation builders and designers were involved in helping to fuse these nine entities into a single hotel. Restoration in order to preserve; innovation where construction required. This proved the only way to maintain the physical substance and core layout of the buildings, and so to conserve their 700 year-old spirit. And what does the name ‘Widder’, or ‘ram’, have to do with all this? Quite simply, the name of the hotel refers to the ‘Zum Widder’ guild of butchers, based in nearby Widdergasse since 1401.
1995 – 9 houses into 1 hotel
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Each hotel room or suite at Widder Hotel is a unique experience and individually decorated – no room is look alike the other.
Zurich is an extraordinary city – and in the Widder Hotel you are right in the middle, in the heart of the Old Town. Nature fans are rewarded after a short walk with a view of the lake and a great panorama of the Alps. Those who love shopping will find the famous Bahnhofstrasse in the immediate vicinity, but also Zurich‘s Old Town with its elegant and original boutiques. Not to mention Zurich‘s atmospheric alleys along the Limmat, its charming river baths and the many pretty cafes that enchant every visitor. The Widder Hotel is surrounded by unique hotspots that make your stay in Zurich a unique experience.
Key sites/activities in the area
Adventure seekers, nature lovers, shopping queens, party animals or gourmets: you found the right place. Activities on the water, on land, on the mountain and not only of a sportive and culinary kind but also for adventure seekers, culture enthusiasts and for all those who want to treat themselves to some time out will await you.
Our Widder Bar is equipped with 1200 spirits. This is the same number as water fountains do exist in the city of Zurich.
No children’s corner
No minimum age
35 ROOMS – 14 SUITES – 49 FINE DIFFERENCES
Each suite has a different layout and all rooms are individually decorated. One suite may feature venerable oak beams, another an antique tiled stove, grisaille murals, delicate frescos or elegant stucco. But all our luxury accommodation shared among all these are high quality materials and a host of historical references. Each bed is adjustable and pleasant light is provided by directional LED reading lamps. Movement-sensitive night-lights guide guests from bed to bathroom. Each room is also equipped with a Nespresso machine, minibar, multimedia TV, wifi and telephone.
Restaurants & Bars
• Widder Restaurant: The Widder Restaurant, awarded with 18 GaultMillau points and 2 Michelin stars, is the heart of the Widder Hotel in Zurich and skilfully combines the history of the city with the modern flair, which is presented through design and culinary delights. Stefan Heilemann is known for his unique style of cooking: The combination of highest product quality, excellent cooking craftsmanship, a willingness to experiment and his characteristic hint of « acidity » open up new worlds of taste and turn a meal into an unforgettable gourmet adventure.
• Widder Bar: The Widder Bar is an institution of the Zurich bar scene. Our Widder Bar offers space and time for a quick lunch, the well-deserved after work drink in the afternoon and then becomes a nightlife hotspot. It is clear that the Widder Bar is Zurich’s cult bar and thus the avant-garde meeting place.
• Boucherie AuGust: Boucherie, brasserie, bistro – AuGust embodies them all. The menu here showcases the finest meat and sausages. In an atmosphere of rustic chic, chef Tino Staub prepares regional classics and makes even long-neglected parts of the animal thoroughly respectable. Where else nowadays in Zurich could you try boiled beef salad, tripe and brawn? In winter, you can watch the hustle and bustle on Rennweg through the large windows – in the warm summer months, the terrace beckons.
• Widder Garden: Just a few minutes’ walk from the hectic Bahnhofstrasse and located directly on Rennweg is the Widder Garden. An idyll in the middle of Zurich’s old town that invites you to linger.
• SPA Menu with with individually tailored treatments to our guests needs. Massages and face treatments
• Gym: Work out in a relaxed environment at our high-tech fitness centre with state-of-the-art Technogym equipment, open around the clock. And if you really want to be pushed to your limits, why not also book a session with one of Zurich’s top personal trainers?
Corporate & Celebration Events
There is always a lot to celebrate. Whether anniversary, birthday or simply life itself – the Widder Hotel turns your idea into an event in the seven unique rooms. From the charming Tatzfuss room for your workshop, to the charming Erzberg room for your birthday party, to the 220 square meter piece of jewelry, the Widder Hall, nothing is impossible for your gala night.
Extra Notable Features
• Food & Bar Tour Experience our City & Lake Resort in a very special way. Immerse yourself in the culinary world of our houses, stroll through the dreamy alleys of Zurich’s old town and marvel at the lakeside landscape around Lake Zurich on our own boat.
BEHIND THE SCENES BY STEFAN HEILEMANN
Star chef and Gault Millau Chef of the Year 2021 Stefan Heilemann invites you exclusively to his kitchen. We enable a look behind the scenes & an exclusive insight into the exciting everyday work of Stefan Heilemann! You stand exclusively behind the stove with Stefan Heilemann, help with the mise en place and arranging the plates and experience the award-winning cuisine from a different angle. Of course, at the end of the evening shift, a beer together with the entire kitchen crew should not be missing!
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• GaultMillau Chef of the Year 2021 Stefan Heilemann
• Widder Restaurant : 18 GaultMillau points and 2 Michelin stars
• 2019: Best Hotel of Switzerland Karl Wild Rating
Number of employees
150 fix staff and 100 temporary staff