Alila Ventana Big Sur USA
Alila Ventana Big Sur
48123 Highway One, Big Sur, CA 93920 USA
Managed by Hyatt Hotels
Owned by Host Hotels & Resorts
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager:
Anthony Duggan, Area Vice President & General Manager
With over 20 years of luxury hospitality experience, Duggan’s collaborative approach and a proven track record for driving revenue, improving operational performance, increasing market share, guest satisfaction and staff engagement will undoubtedly continue to elevate the guest experience. Prior to joining Ventana Big Sur, he served as area vice president and general manager at Miraval Austin Wellness Resort & Spa, along with other notable properties including L’Auberge de Sedona, Westin Washington DC, and the iconic Amangiri by AMAN. Duggan has also held hotel management and operations roles at The St. Regis San Francisco and the Fairmont Kea Lani in Hawaii, as well as the brand’s Chicago property.
5-star Boutique Luxury, Alila Brand part of Hyatt Hotels & Resorts
Alila Ventana Big Sur
History & Story
Alila Ventana Big Sur is an iconic resort ensconced in the heart of the California Central Coast’s rugged landscape, perched at the edge of the continent overlooking the majestic Pacific coastline. Set among 160 sprawling acres of rolling meadows and towering redwoods, the intimate 59-room property invites guests to discover, inspire and create in an unspoiled landscape that evokes the unbridled spirit of Big Sur.
Date Added Extansions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
When you reach the edge of the continent, where the sky, the sea, the mountains and the redwoods all converge, you find a place of unmatched beauty and tranquillity. You feel the pull that has drawn artists and thinkers for centuries. And you’re enveloped by the same inspiration to discover, (dis)connect and create. Alila Ventana Big Sur is an adults-only enclave tucked among the forests in one of the most iconic and dramatic landscapes on Earth. Allow our full-board experience to take you on a culinary adventure and our daily activities to help you find your center and stir your imagination.
• Point Lobos State Reserve
• Andrew Molera State Park
• Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park & Pfeiffer Beach
• Henry Miller Library
• Esalen Institute
• Pacific Coast Highway, Historic Highway 1
Big Sur, CA
• Number of suites: 37
(8) Big Sur Suite – 619 square feet, king bed, oversized bathroom, wood-burning fireplace with seating area, dining alcove, wet bar, large private deck with forest or ocean views and hammock
(7) Big Sur Forest Shower Suite – 619 square feet, king bed, oversized bathroom, wood-burning fireplace, dining alcove, wet bar, large private deck with couple’s outdoor shower, forest views
(1) Superior Hot Tub Suite – 499 square feet, king bed, oversized bathroom, wood-burning fireplace, dining alcove, wet bar, large private deck with private hot tub and ocean views
(6) Big Sur Spa Suite – 619 square feet, king bed, oversized bathroom, wood-burning fireplace, dining alcove, wet bar, large private deck with private hot tub and ocean or forest views
(6) Pacific House Suite – 634 square feet, king bed, vaulted ceilings with skylights, oversized bathroom, wood-burning fireplace, dining alcove, wet bar, large private deck with private hot tub and distant ocean views
(4) Vista Hot Tub Suite – 773 square feet, king bed, oversized bathroom, wood-burning fireplace, dining alcove, wet bar, large private deck with private hot tub and distant ocean views
(3) Big Sur Villa – 930-1,198 square feet, duplex unit, king bed in the second floor bedroom and pull out sofa in the first floor living room, oversized bathroom, wood-burning fireplace, dining alcove, wet bar, large private deck with forest or ocean views
(1) The Cottage – 722 square feet, stand alone unit, king bed, oversized bathroom, wood-burning fireplace, dining alcove, wet bar, large 600 square foot private deck with private hot tub and forest canyon views
(1) The Coast House – 1,300 square feet, separate living area with kitchen, dining area, and wood-burning fireplace, oversized bedroom with king bed and large bathroom, 380 square foot private deck with private hot tub and distant ocean views
• Number of Luxury rooms: 22
(8) Ventana Guestroom – 414 square feet, king bed, private deck with forest or ocean views
(9) Ventana Fireplace Guestroom – 414-471 square feet, king bed, wood-burning fireplace, private deck with forest, meadow or ocean views
(5) Superior Fireplace Guestroom – 480-485 square feet, king bed, wood-burning fireplace, dining alcove, wet bar, private deck with forest views
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 59
Alila Ventana Big Sur resides on land homesteaded by the Post family in 1890, as indicated by the original newspaper that lined the historic Post House walls. The home, which housed several generations of the Post family, still stands at the resort entrance. Producer and entrepreneur Lawrence A. Spector built the Ventana Inn in 1975 with the money he earned in the late 1960s from the legendary film “Easy Rider.” The famed Inn became the haven of movie stars such as Steve McQueen and Ali McGraw, and Ventana remains a favorite for those who come to relax rather than be seen.
Adults Only, Guests must be aged 18+.
Restaurants & Bars
• The Sur House – The Sur House, high above the Pacific where the forest, mountains, and sea converge, now features a more spacious seating plan with fewer tables—along with greater exclusivity, as the restaurant is reserved for Ventana overnight guests during breakfast and dinner periods. Our new inclusive model enhances the experience even further; meals are included with your stay, and upgraded options such as alcoholic beverages are available for separate purchase. Ocean views from the terrace are as breathtaking as ever, and so is the Big Sur-inspired cuisine, which features fresh ingredients from our expansive organic garden.
• Big Sur Smokehouse – Located at the entrance to Alila Ventana Big Sur n Highway one is the Big Sur Smokehouse, a classic barbecue joint with a California twist: We serve home-smoked meats and sauces, with salads and sides made from farm-fresh ingredients. It’s smokehouse dining in a comfortable setting—a place to rest and recharge on your drive along the coast. The Smokehouse is open to the public and include in the full-board meal package for Alila Ventana Big Sur guests.
• Spa Alila at Ventana Big Sur is a refuge for your senses, a safe haven to surrender the stresses and concerns of daily life. Enter the world of Spa Alila—where relaxation and rejuvenation await. Guests will experience the natural healing that is Big Sur, combined with intuitive traditions from Asia and holistic traditions from Europe.
• Two heated outdoor swimming pools—Ocean Meadow Pool features an infinity-edge hot tub, Mountain Pool is secluded and is clothing-optional
• Traditional Japanese Hot Baths – open 24-hours in an open air structure which is perfect for late night stargazing.
Corporate & Celebrations events
• Sur Vista – Romantically secluded, this stunning outdoor terrace venue is exclusively dedicated to exchanging of vows. Aptly named for its sweeping views of the breathtaking blue Pacific Ocean, Sur Vista comfortably accommodates up to seventy guests in celebration of your most special day.
• The Loft – Designed to reflect the same level of warmth you have for each other, The Loft at Ventana is the perfect venue for intimate receptions and cherished memories. Newly renovated, this rustic yet elegant indoor space features an oversized wood burning hearth, and offers up to seventy guests expansive views of Big Sur’s astonishing redwood beauty.
• Ocean Meadow Lawn – Perfectly situated in the heart of the resort, close to the Social House and pool area, this impressive, 7,000 square-foot manicured lawn affords spectacular views of both the forest and blue Pacific Ocean. As many as 200 honored guests can gather here, in the open ocean air or in the elegant shelter of designer canopies. This space is available for property buyouts only.
• The Glass House – The exquisite Glass House and its breathtaking ocean views create a private dinner experience like no other. Perched on the edge of the continent, your party will enjoy a prix-fixe menu (modifications available by request) and memories to last a lifetime.
Extra Notables Features
For centuries, the stunning beauty and powerful geography of Big Sur have beckoned artists, authors, musicians, thinkers and spiritual leaders seeking creative inspiration, personal transformation and inner well-being. Now, our Alila Experience programming extends a similar invitation to you, with experiences designed to help you develop a deeper connection to yourself, your partner and the natural world. Please note that Alila Experiences are private, must be purchased separately and are not inclusive of your stay. Our most popular Alila Experiences are below:
GLASS HOUSE DINNERS – The exquisite Glass House and its breathtaking ocean views create a private dinner experience like no other. Perched on the edge of the continent, your party will enjoy a prix-fixe menu (modifications available by request) and memories to last a lifetime.
VINYASA AND VINYL YOGA – Music does more than soothe the soul; it brings balance to the mind, body, and spirit. Set to a curated selection of vinyl from Alila Ventana Big Sur, this vinyasa class will synchronize your movements with the music, open your senses, and relax the spirit, getting you ready to fully engage with this day.
BOTANICAL POURS – Let our resident mixologist teach you the tricks of the trade using locally crafted liquors, mixers and fresh ingredients you will hand pick from our garden. Perhaps make a foam using fresh eggs from the coop, infuse rosemary or maybe add a bit of fresh fruit purée right off the vine. This interactive workshop will put you hands on with each step in creation of a delicious concoction.
DIVE IN THE HIVE– Take your beekeeping experience full circle! Each class will begin in the Ocean Meadow, where you’ll suit up and go bee-hind the scenes for a closer look at these artisans in action! Taking what you learned from these un-bee-lievable workers, you will jar your own Alila Ventana honey to bring home with you!
CLASSIC CARS, CLASSIC HIGHWAY – The drive through Big Sur on Highway 1 is nothing short of breathtaking—and the grandeur is even greater when your trip down this historic road is in a vehicle with a rich history of its own. Alila Ventana Big Sur has partnered with Monterey Touring Vehicles to provide access to a hand-selected fleet of 40 classics, from vintage Porsche Spyders to classic Volkswagen vans, for you to embark on a journey of the senses and the soul. You’ll see coves painted in shades of inviting blues and greens, mountains plunging into the sea, and native cypress trees that have taken on otherworldly shapes as they bend to natural forces. It’s a wild, remote beauty unlike anything most have ever experienced, leaving you to ponder the mysteries of the universe as you feel the twists and turns beneath you.
Hotel and Restaurant Awards
• Conde Nast Readers’ Choice Awards 2022 – Top 12 Resorts in Northern California
• US News & World Report Best Hotels 2022 – #16 Resort in California
• Conde Nast Readers’ Choice Awards 2021 – Top 10 Resorts in Northern California
• Wine Spectator – Sur House 2020 Award of Excellence
• Wine Spectator – Sur House 2019 Award of Excellence
• Conde Nast Readers’ Choice Awards 2019 – Top 14 Resorts in Northern California
Number of Employees