Hotel Emma USA
136 E Grayson, San Antonio, TX 78215, USA
Date of Creation
November 11, 2015
Hotel General Manager
President & CEO of Hotel Emma – Bill Petrella
AAA Five Diamond designation, Preferred Hotels & Resorts Legends Designation
History & Story
A historical hotel, authentic and welcoming, Hotel Emma was once a 19th century Brewhouse. Now it’s an extraordinary 146-room riverfront hotel and the flagship for Pearl’s culinary and cultural community on the northern edge of downtown San Antonio. When you stay at Pearl’s Hotel Emma, you’ll experience San Antonio as if you are staying at the well-appointed home of extremely interesting friends, your visit peppered with warm social experiences, genuine cultural flavor, insider knowledge, and delightful surprises unique to the hotel, the neighborhood and the city.
Maintenance and updates are an ongoing process, and no closures will occur for any restorations.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Our rich history sets us apart from any other hotel in the world. The hotel is named in honor of Emma Koehler, a towering figure in Pearl history. Emma ran the brewery after her husband and Pearl President Otto Koehler died in 1914. She was an ingenious CEO who kept the brewery going during Prohibition by converting operations to dry cleaning and auto repair and making near beer, ice cream, and soda. While other breweries were shutting down, Emma kept her entire workforce employed. She turned over control of the company to a nephew in 1933 but was a formidable presence at the brewery until her death in 1943.
Hotel Emma sits proudly on the banks of the Museum Reach of the San Antonio River just over a mile from the source of the river itself. While the river acts as one bookend for the hotel, Pearl Plaza and Park, acts as the other, offering visitors a respite among the native trees and flora, fountains, shaded pavilions, and front-row access to the twice-weekly Pearl Farmers Market.
Key sites/activities in the area
Explore Pearls’ vibrant culinary community, fifteen chef-run restaurants, a food hall, cafés and bars, year-round culinary events, and special chef-led dinners and tastings. The highly regarded Culinary Institute of America, right next door to Hotel Emma, offers guests opportunities for culinary immersion through frequent food enthusiast programs. With a strong commitment to food excellence, Pearl is host to the producers-only farmers’ market. All Pearl Farmer’s Market Vendors are located within a 150mile radius of San Antonio, and deliver fresh, local, seasonal products that they planted, raised, and harvested.
Steps away from Hotel Emma – glorious shopping! Browse thirteen novels, independent shops selling everything from custom-made guayaberas at Dos Carolinas to ultra-chic clothes and jewelry at LeeLee, and globally sourced gifts and home décor at the Tiny Finch.
There is a distinct diversion for every taste and interest just steps from Emma’s front door. Take in the scenic beauty of our quiet stretch of the San Antonio River, where picnic spots and jogging trails abound. Or wander the bustling Pearl neighborhood and experience its wealth of restaurants, shops, bars, and entertainment like a local!
• Number of suites: 11
• Number of Luxury rooms: 84
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 146
Restaurants & Bars
• Supper: An American Eatery. Coming together for good food at your favorite place…it’s an American tradition
• Larder: Fine Groceries and Prepared Foods. Tucked away in the old fermenting cellars, LARDER at Hotel Emma carries groceries, fine provisions, wine, beer, baked goods, flowers, house butchered meats and freshly prepared food to eat in or take out.
• Sternewirth: Hospitality is the watchword at Sternewirth, Hotel Emma’s tavern and club room. A dramatic 25-foot vaulted ceiling soars over intimate groupings of sofas, easy chairs and banquettes arrange to encourage conversation, celebration, and business deals. Enjoy a restorative cocktail, a notable wine, or sturdy craft beer. Come for the city bar authenticity, classic cocktails made without gimmicks and hearty small plates that satisfy your appetite for flavor and substance.
• Enjoying lounging poolside on our 3rd-floor pool deck open year-round next to our 1960’s era Pearl beer delivery truck. Our Poolside provisions bar is your alfresco source for refreshing food and drink.
• Hiatus Spa & Retreat is just a few steps across Brewer’s Alley in the Cellars Residences Building. 13 treatment rooms, a hydro-therapy room, a relaxation room, nail therapy room with zero gravity chairs, and more.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Marry in splendor, have a birthday bash, bring business colleagues together for drinks and deals, or just throw an epic party because you feel like it! Our creative crew will help you get situated. Our event spaces are thoughtfully and artfully designed as our restaurants, suites, and public spaces. Comfortable and unconventional meeting and conference facilities offer the perfect combination of style and advanced technology.
• Elephant Cellar – 3250 sq ft – 200 capacity
• Courtyard – 1521 sq ft – 100 capacity
• Cellar J – 1050 sq ft – 100 capacity
• Cellar K – 575 sq ft – 50 capacity
• Gold Room – 840 sq ft – 60 capacity
Boardroom – 416 sq ft – 14 capacity
Swiggle Key Room – 408 sq ft – 28 capacity
Brewmeisters Office – 786 sq ft – 6 capacity
Extra Notable Features
Culinary Concierge Team: Our extraordinary concierge team is here to enrich your visit with creative diversions centered on all things culinary and cultural. They’ll connect you to events they’ve curated here at the hotel, as well as places to go and things to do at Pearl and in our neighborhood.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
# 5 Best Hotels in the US – Tripadvisor
# 4 Best Hotels in Texas – 2019 & 2021 Conde Nast Traveler Reader’s Choice
#15 Best City Hotels in the Continental U.S. – 2020 Travel + Leisure Readers’ Choice
# 2 Best Resorts in San Antonio – 2019 USA Today 10 Best
Hot 10 Top 50 Nominees – 2016 Bon Appetit USA’s Best New Restaurants
Number of employees