Mauna Lani, Auberge Resorts Collection
Mauna Lani, Auberge Resorts Collection
68-1400 Mauna Lani Drive
Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii 96743
Auberge Resorts Collection
Date of Creation
July 29, 2021
Hotel General Manager
Sanjiv Hulugalle – Regional Vice President and General Manager
With over 20 years of global luxury hospitality experience, Sanjiv Hullugalle is recognized as an industry pioneer and leader, redefining a new breed of experiential travel. As Vice President and General Manager of Mauna Lani, Auberge Resorts Collection, Sanjiv is at the helm of opening Auberge Resorts Collection’s first property in Hawaii and largest in the brand’s esteemed portfolio, along with Hawaii’s all-new luxury lifestyle resort debuting late 2019.
Hulugalle, who is no stranger to hotel openings, has led the pre- and post-opening efforts of three properties in the role of general manager. He has built an international reputation for taking the unexpected and transforming the guest experience into world-renowned, curated moments – combining culture, craftsmanship, and artisanal experiences through culinary, wellness, and unrivalled amenities.
Hulugalle’s career has taken him across four continents, from Oahu to Beijing. Prior to joining Auberge Resorts Collection, he served as General Manager of Four Seasons Resort Oahu at Ko Olina and led the pre- and post-opening efforts for the luxury brand. Prior to Oahu, he served as general manager at a collection of award-winning properties across the globe throughout his two-decade tenure with Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, including Four Seasons Hotel Beijing, Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Kuda Haraa, and Four Seasons Hotel Damascus. He also held management roles at Four Seasons Resort Langkawi, Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver, Four Seasons Hotel Toronto, Four Seasons Hotel Las Vegas, Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, where his career began has a Health Club Supervisor.
5-star Luxury Resort
Mauna Lani, Auberge Resorts Collection
History & Story
Mauna Lani, Auberge Resorts Collection, the all-new luxury lifestyle resort reopened to guests in 2019 and is re-defining an era of experiential luxury on the Island of Hawaii. Ideally located on 32 expansive oceanfront acres, marked by royal fish ponds, natural lava plains, lush tropical gardens, and bordered by alluring beaches, Mauna Lani – meaning “mountain reaching heaven,” is an inspiring spiritual haven that captures a distinct sense of place deeply rooted in rich cultural traditions, yet seamlessly blends a modern tomorrow. Nowhere in the Hawaiian archipelago is the land more powerful, more sacred, more alive, than this storied and natural place of wonder. Transformational experiences, enriching cultural immersion, unrivalled amenities, and curated moments – await guests at Mauna Lani. This is all centered around the piko – an infinite circle, which reflects the area’s distinct eternal spirit, anchored by Hawaii’s five great mountains. From this singular locale, the mountains of Hualālai, Mauna Loa, Mauna Kea, Kohala and Maui’s Haleakalā are all visible in the distance. It is here, at the piko, Mauna Lani intrinsically links the people, the culture, and the land, to a deeply woven sense of place rooted in extraordinary core values and experiences – where friendships are fostered, families reconnect, and curiosities unfold.
September 2017 thru December 2019 – Full renovation: Remodeling and additions of rooms, suites, guest areas, a resort pool, an adult pool, a children’s pool, a full 24-hour fitness center, a Spa, a general store (The Market), a retail market, 5 restaurants and lounges.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• Living Culture: Hale ‘I’ike – “House of Knowledge” is the resort’s in-depth cultural center alive with historic books, portraits of Hawaiian royals and ancient artifacts, and showcases Hawaii’s extraordinary living culture where the past meets the present and beyond.
• Kainalu Sports: Kainalu means “ocean wave” in Hawaiian and is the resort’s haven for active pursuits. Inspired by Hā – the culture’s life energy and breath, this outdoor experience program is designed around awareness of one’s breath, the foundation of life and the key to living a healthy lifestyle.
• Golf: The resort features two world class 18-hole courses, Mauna Lani North and South. Known for its lava bed terrain dotted by kiawe trees, the North Course offers the quintessential Hawai‘i golf experience. The South Course, with its stark a‘a lava setting, presents a challenging layout with holes set before mountain and ocean views.
Nestled in the center of luxury residences and condominiums, Mauna Lani, Auberge offers the finest in dining, shopping and recreation.
Key sites/activities in the area
Royal Fish Ponds Walks
Twilight at Kalāhuipua‘a is an evening of entertainment and perpetuating the traditional folk art of storytelling
The Ala Kahakal National Historic Trails boasting more than 3,000 ancient petroglyphs dating back to 1200 AD
Cultural Workshops: Haku lei making, kapa making, lauhala weaving, poi pounding, mo’olelo story telling, star gazing, and more
Mauna Kea Mountain & Observatory
Koa forest tours
ATV and ziplining excursions
Horseback riding adventures in Waimea
Waipio Valley treks
Coffee farm tours
Whale watching excursions
Deep sea fishing tours
HOLOHO KIDS CREW
An explorer’s paradise, the Holoholo Kids Circle is the ultimate island-style hideaway for the resort’s younger guests. Taking advantage of Mauna Lani’s storied and sprawling land, the educational and fun programs range from cultural immersion, athletics and wellness, to culinary classes, movies under the stars, moonlight storytelling and navigation. Designed for ages 5 – 12 years old, ages 3 and 4 must be accompanied by an adult.
• Number of suites: 37
• Number of Residences: 5
• Number of Luxury rooms: 292
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 334
Restaurants & Bars
• CanoeHouse – Celebrating Hawai‘i’s soulful connection between land and sea. Indulge in the nightly ‘MY’ menu, a 5-course tasting menu from Matt and Yuka Raso, the talented Chef and General Manager duo who create the heart and soul of CanoeHouse. With unparalleled Pacific Ocean views, contemporary indoor-outdoor space, you’ll enjoy the mesmerizing glows of tiki torches and fire pits all evening long.
• Halani – Start your morning at our open-air eatery overlooking the pool and expansive Great Lawn with Kona coffee and a breakfast spread. Let our HāLani master chefs serve up the best the island has to offer to fuel your day.
• Ha Bar & Grill -Laze the day away while you savor fresh, organic cuisine from housemade ceviche to tropical salads and pupus, enjoyed poolside or at the bar. In the evening, enjoy a breathtaking Hawaiian sunset, while sipping an island-inspired handcrafted cocktail. Enjoy the freshest items from the island’s local fishermen and farmers.
• Surf Shack – Start the day here with sunrise yoga, fresh Kona coffee and acai bowls. Enjoy lawn games with a light bbq lunch from the nearby food truck. Learn about the royal fishponds and sea turtles with Pi‘i, our resident marine biologist. At the day’s end, savor sweet ‘ukulele tunes and craft cocktails as the sun sinks into the Pacific.
• The Market – The Market is a specialty coffee shop, cafe and deli within a welcoming general store setting. Featuring a full-service cafe serving Kona coffee, a selection of pastries and baked goods, as well as a selection of home and lifestyle retail items. Build a picnic to-go and hit the road with local craft beers and unique wines to enjoy.
• In-Room Dining
• Adult Infinity-edge
• 3. Family
• 24-Hour Fitness Center
• Spa Treatment rooms
Corporate & Celebration Events
Total Event Space: 42,000 square feet
• 13 flexible indoor and outdoor space
• Ballrooms: 2
• Guest Capacity: 900
• Francis H. I’i Brown Room – VIP Specialty Suite
• Additional Meeting Rooms: 4
Extra Notable Features
Golf: The resort features two worldclass18-hole courses, Mauna Lani North and South. Known for its lava bed terrain dotted by kiawe trees, the North Course offers the quintessential Hawai‘i golf experience. The South Course, with its stark a‘a lava setting, presents a challenging layout with holes set before mountain and ocean views
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Hawai‘i Island, Hawaii (July 28, 2020) – Mauna Lani Golf’s two golf courses climbed in Golfweek’s new ranking of “Best Courses You Can Play in Hawaii.” Mauna Lani’s North Course moved up five spots – from No. 13 to No. 8 – while the South Course debuted at No. 15 after being unranked in Golfweek’s 2019 rankings.
• KOHALA COAST, HAWAII (June 7, 2020) – Mauna Lani, Auberge Resorts Collection announced today their inclusion to Architectural Digest’s first annual Great Design Awards, honoring new or newly reimagined hotel properties. The list highlights pioneering, forward-thinking spaces—and that even when travel is disrupted, great design endures. The new annual feature presents truly best-in-class properties to the magazine’s audience of tastemakers, influencers and design enthusiasts.I have attached an PDF that. outlines our experiences and more about us.
• KOHALA COAST, HAWAII (May 5, 2020) – Mauna Lani, Auberge Resorts Collection announced today their inclusion in the coveted Condé Nast Traveler 2020 ‘Hot List,’ the magazine’s annual list composed of the best new hotels and resorts. The list highlights the top properties across the globe and reflects where travelers are dreaming to visit next – a sentiment that resonates now more than ever.
• KALĀHUIPUA‘A, HAWAI‘I (February 20, 2020) Mauna Lani, Auberge Resorts Collection is pleased to announce its recognition within Travel + Leisure’s 2020 It List of the world’s best new and renovated resorts.
Number of employees