Date of Creation
July 12, 2021
Hotel General Manager
George Vlachopoulos BIO With over 20 years of experience in the hospitality industry, George Vlachopoulos has worked in 8 counties across 3 continents at some of the most renowned luxury resorts in the world. As General Manager of Malliouhana since December 2019, Vlachopoulos oversees the art-deco inspired property that landed Anguilla on the jet-set map in 1984. Under Vlachopoulos’ leadership, the 63-room property is Anguilla’s most storied hotel known for its warm Caribbean esthetic, world-class cuisine, and transformative experiences.
History & Story
When it opened thirty years ago, Malliouhana put Anguilla on the map. The beachfront resort continues to set the standard for modern day island glamour set atop a bluff that rolls down to pristine white sands and azure-blue sea. Add in new offerings including spacious beachfront accommodations, a cascading infinity pool that seems to drop off into the sea below, and a beach bar that epitomizes toes-in-the-sand relaxation and a new era for Malliouhana has arrived. Low-key glamour, seaside sophistication and historic heritage come together in some of the most graciously sized accommodations in Anguilla. A bright Caribbean inspired aesthetic defined by robin egg blues and bright yellows invoke the islands unique sense of place, while expansive private terraces let you take in the glorious tropical surrounds.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• Small boutique property featuring 63 guest rooms and suites.
• The property is located on three beaches one of which is Mead’s Bay, one of the top rated beaches in Anguilla.
• Warm and caring staff.
• Majority of rooms have full ocean views.
• Suites range from 1-3 bedrooms.
• True beachfront suites only steps from the beach.
• World class spa.
• Three restaurants ranging from casual toes-in-the-sand beach dining, Bar Soleil for light fare and cocktails whilst watching the magnificent sunsets and Celeste offering classic, effortless island fare inspired by a Mediterranean blend.
• Private boat charters, fishing trips including catch and cook program.
Key sites/activities in the area
Leon Roydon the original owner of Malliounana visited the island of Anguilla and fell in love with Mead’s Bay. The resort was completed in 1984 and put Anguilla on the map for being a luxury travel destination.
Mr Roydon was an avid diver, Anguilla is a wonderful destination for diving due to its crystal clear waters. His collection of diving helmets are proudly on display in the hotel lobby.
Mr. Roydon was also an avid art collector, collecting thousands of pieces of art which are displayed throughout the resort.
The property is located on Mead’s Bay Beach, one of the top rated beaches on the island. The property is also located on two additional beaches, Turtle Cove and Bobbing Cay, perfect for private family gatherings and more intimate weddings.
Mini-Explorers Children’s Program – offering daily activities for children ages 4-12 years offering kite-making, junior chef class, boat racing, treasure hunts, arts and crafts and more. (offered June – August).
63 elegantly appointed rooms & suites Spacious rooms all with large private terraces Luxury linens & down bedding Twice-daily housekeeping service Custom-blended organic bath and body products Nespresso machines and iPod docking stations Connecting rooms available.
• GARDEN VIEW DELUXE ROOMS • Spacious 840-860 sq. ft. rooms • Living area • Expansive garden view private terrace
• OCEAN VIEW ROOMS • Premium rooms • Deluxe rooms • Corner ocean view rooms • Spacious 775-875 sq. ft. rooms • Living area • Expansive ocean view private terrace.
• CORNER OCEAN-VIEW PREMIUM ROOMS – Spacious 875 Sq Ft – The breathtaking Caribbean views from this corner room have to be seen to be believed. A wraparound terrace provides the best setting to soak it all in.
• BEACHFRONT PREMIUM ROOMS • Spacious 775-860 sq. ft. rooms • Indoor & outdoor living space • Beachfront
• OCEAN VIEW JUNIOR SUITES • Impressive 1,700 square foot suites • King or double queen accommodations • Spacious living area • Private covered patio and expansive outdoor terrace • Sweeping ocean views.
• TWO-BEDROOM OCEAN VIEW SUITES • Luxurious 2,500 sq. ft. suites • Accommodates up to 5 people • Separate salon living area • Private covered patio and expansive outdoor terrace • Sweeping Ocean views.
• Two-Bedroom Turtle Cove Suite
Settle into life at Malliouhana by booking one of the resort’s most exclusive and private accommodations, the Turtle Cove Villa Suite. Located on a cliff with unobstructed views of the Caribbean sea, the secluded Turtle Cove Villa Suite features two spacious bedrooms with common areas. Gather with friends or extended family on the expansive patio perfect for enjoying a cocktail while enjoying the Anguillan sunset. This luxurious suite enjoys private access to the pristine Turtle Cove Beach, as well as a completely private infinity-edge plunge pool overlooking the ocean.
• THREE-BEDROOM SPA SUITE – At 4,500 square feet, the resort’s most generously sized suite is unabashed luxury. Three separate bedrooms—ideal for families or groups looking to truly spread out—all have access to a separate living salon, private patio, and sun terrace that feature sweeping views of the Caribbean Sea.
• Four Bedroom Villa Experience
Book a Private Oceanfront Villa for up to 12 people, including 4 luxurious and spacious guest bedrooms rooms overlooking Anguilla’s best beach. Relax with extended family or friends in your private accommodation steps away from the pristine white sands of Mead’s Bay and all resort amenities. Make Malliouhana your home away from home with a 24/7 VIP butler service, private dining, and unique experiences.
• Number of suites:17 Number of Luxury rooms:63Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 63
Restaurants & Bars
• Celeste Restaurant – Our chef’s creatively pair regional produce with Caribbean inspired classics. Derived from all the seafaring cultures that have merged their cuisines over time. Savor smoked wahoo pate, slow roasted eggplant with a rum glaze and lemongrass relish, curried conch and grilled octopus.
• Bar Soleil – Come here for easy living and intimacy, where deep built-in-divans set under heavily vaulted ceilings and columns edge up against wide open windows framed by the azure-blue sea. Feel the cool breeze and the romance of candle-filled birdcages hung from above. Sit back and enjoy tasty Caribbean sweet potato tortilla tapas, while sipping a handcrafted rum cocktail whilst enjoying the dramatic sunsets.
• Leon’s – Beachfront Restaurant – At this laid-back restaurant situated directly on Mead’s Bay Beach. Enjoy simple, Caribbean dishes including our signature Johnny Cake Burgers with our speciality rum punch to compliment the ultimate toes-in-the-sand beach shack experience whilst listening to live reggae beats.
• Our Executive Chef Shane Lewis oversees all culinary offerings at Malliouhana.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Lobby Meeting Room – 600 Sq Ft – 60 Reception
• Lobby Meeting Room Terrace – 1,000 Sq Ft – 80 Reception
• Leon’s Meeting Space – 1,452 Sq Ft – 150 Reception
• Leon’s Beachfront Restaurant – more than 10,000 Sq Ft + of beachfront – 200+ Reception
• Celeste Restaurant – 1,870 Sq Ft – 140 Reception
• Celeste Terrace – 2,950 Sq Ft – 200 Reception
• Bar Soleil & Terrace – 1,195 Sq Ft – 100 Reception
• Bar Soleil Pool Deck – 1,000 Sq Ft – 75 Reception
• Malliouhana Bluff and Lawn – 2,400 Sq Ft – 110 Reception
• Bobbing Cove Beach – 1,000 Sq Ft – 50 Reception
• Meads Bay Beach – 10,000 Sq Ft + of Beachfront – 150 Reception
• Turtle Cove Beach – 2,000 Sq Ft + of Beachfront – 100 Reception
Extra Notable Features
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Top 50 Resorts in the Caribbean Islands – Conde Nast Readers Choice Awards 2019
• The 12 Best Hotels for a Caribbean Escape – Robb Report 2019
• The 15 Best Islands in the World – Travel and Leisure 2019
• The Top 15 Islands in the Caribbean, Bermuda and the Bahamas – Travel and Leisure 2019
• The Top 25 Resort Hotels in the Caribbean, Bermuda and the Bahamas – Travel and Leisure 2019
Number of employees