Sugar Beach, a Viceroy Resort Saint Lucia
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Val des Pitons, P.O. Box 251 Soufriere
Viceroy Hotel Group
Date of Creation
1990 The original Jalousie Plantation Resort opened
Hotel General Manager
5-star Luxury Hotel
History & Story
Formerly a working sugar plantation, the property has a long history of owners including Lord Glenconner, famously known for his friendship with Princess Margaret, and the once famous proprietor of the Bang Restaurant. Currently owned by Misland Capital, held by the Greene family from Bermuda, which owns that island’s renowned Hamilton Princess resort. Viceroy has managed the property since 2008.
Date added extensions
The Beach front Collection Residences were added in December 2017
Main Strengths, Special Touch
All air-conditioned rooms, Complimentary Kids Club, 24 hour butler service, only white sandy beach in the area, 24 hour in-room dining, embraced by the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Pitons.
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort is located in one of the most spectacular sites in
the world, the majestic valley of the Pitons (Val des Pitons). The beauty of the Pitons, listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, is unparalleled. The atmosphere is unobtrusive and lends to a truly intimate and relaxed experience. The resort is spread across more than one hundred acres of tropical forest unsurpassed for its natural beauty.
Key sites/activities in the area
Hiking the Pitons, Explore Soufrière, Sulphur Springs, Waterfalls, Fishing, Diving, sailing.
One of the Caribbean’s only drive-in volcanoes is just a 10 minute drive away.
When Lord Glenconner built the first resort at Val des Pitons, he had a pet elephant called Bupa on the property
The island changed hand 14 times between the French and the British during it’s colonial past. Soufriere was the capital of the island the 7 times it was French, and Castries was the capital under the British.
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort is a family friendly resort. We provide supervised activities for children between the ages of 4 and 12 years old. Children under 4 will be accommodated when
accompanied by an adult. All activities are complimentary, fun and educational and combine the rainforest environment and marine biology information with story-telling, dance classes and craft making.
• Number of Villas and Cottages: 76
• Number of Luxury rooms: 11
• Number of beachfront bungalows: 8
• Number of Residences: 24
• Number of rooms (keys) in all: 96 hotel and 24 Residences
Restaurants & Bars
• Jalousie Bar & Restaurant – Enjoy open-air sea side dining with a magnificent view of the Pitons, available for lunch and dinner.
• The Great Room – For discerning diners there is the elegant Great Room, with its
old world colonial charm serving Caribbean influenced fare in candlelit surroundings.
• The Cane Bar – A specialty rum bar featuring cutting edge style, a glowing
white bar, as well as a wide selection of rum and a “rummelier” to help guide guests through their choices. In addition to the offerings behind the bar, The Cane Bar also features a Japanese-inspired menu.
• The Terrace – Open for Breakfast daily. Offers outdoor dining. A continental buffet is on offer in addition to a menu of a la carte hot selections.
• Boopa’s – Morning or night, Boopa is where you can grab a quick, healthy bite or treat yourself to something sweet. As the resort’s signature grab ‘n go café, it has freshly made salads, sandwiches, baked goods, smoothies, coffee, tea and anything else you need to jump-start your day or wind down.
• All accommodations offer a plunge pool
• One main Pool at the Resort
• Complimentary Fitness Facilities as well as Complimentary land sports and non-motorized watersports
• 7 tree house treatment gazebos, Two double treatment rooms with hydrotherapy facility
Manicure and pedicure room Earthen steam room. called a Temascal, this earth and stone
dome was used by Amerindians for both health and religious
purposes Beauty Suite with hairdressing salon and specialist skin/facial treatment room
Corporate & Celebration Events
• The Great Room : Capacity : 80 theatre or banquet ; 100 cocktail
• The Bayside Restaurant : Capacity : 120 banquet
• The Beach : Capacity : cocktail reception for 200, or banquet for 120. Beach Tents are also available in seatings for up to 15, 20, 60, or 80.
• Cane Bar terrace : Capacity : Seating for 40 can be arranged for speakers and presentations, or 40 for seated dining and 60 for a reception.
• The Terrace : 100 guests for a banquet, and 60 guests for a reception.
Extra Notable Features
• Cinema Under the Stars
• Farm to Table Tour with our Chef
• Full PADI dive center
Hotel and restaurant Awards
- TripstoDiscover.com, 8 Best Resorts in St. Lucia
- CNTraveler.com, The 8 Best Beachfront Restaurants and Bars in Mexico and the Caribbean
Islands.com, 20 Best Caribbean Beach Resorts
- ArchitecturalDigest.com, 9 of the Most Spectacular Hotel Residences on the Planet
- Brides, Honeymoon Awards 2017, #5 in Top Resorts in the Caribbean
- HarpersBazaar.com, The 25 Most Beautiful Places in the World
- CNN.com, All-inclusive resorts: 12 top getaways in Mexico and the Caribbean
- Islands.com, Most Romantic Hotels in the Caribbean
- Forbes.com, The 27 Most Beautiful Beaches In The World
- AFAR, #5 in Traveler’s Choice Awards 2017: Top Beach Hotels
- MarthaStewartWedddings.com, The 18 Most Romantic Hotels in the Caribbean and Atlantic
- US News & World Report, #23 in the ‘Best Hotels in the Caribbean’
- Recommend.com, 9 Top Resorts with All-Inclusive Packages
- Conde Nast Traveler, #23 in Top Resorts in The Caribbean: Readers’ Choice Awards 2017
- ThePointsGuy.com, The 10 Best Secret Beaches in the Caribbean
- HarpersBazaar.com, The 11 Most Over-the-Top Hotel Spa Treatments
- TheDailyMeal.com, The 101 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the World
- CoastalLiving.com, The Most Beautiful Beaches in the World
- Fodors.com, The 10 Most Instagrammable Spots in the Caribbean
- CNTraveler.com, The Best Beachfront Bars in the Caribbean
- Metro.US.com, The 10 Most Instagrammable Spots in the Caribbean
- Oyster.com, Most Romantic All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico
- Forbes Travel Guide, ‘Recommended’ rating in Forbes Travel Guide 2018 Star Award Winners
- HarpersBazaar.com, The Top Romantic Getaways Around the World
- Town & Country, The T&C Hotel Awards: The Best New Hotels in the World
- Elite Traveler, Top 100 Suites
- LOfficielUSA.com, The 10 Most Luxe Hotel Private Plunge Pools Across the Globe
- TripSavvy.com, Saint Lucia’s Best Beach Resorts
- Oyster.com, The 7 Best Boutique All-Inclusive in St. Lucia
- Martha Stewart Weddings, Runner-Up in the 2018 Most Romantic Destinations Caribbean & Atlantic
- Conde Nast Traveler, #36 in Caribbean Islands: Top 50 Resorts, Readers’ Choice Awards 2018
- Wine Spectator, The 2018 Restaurant Awards: Caribbean
- SmarterTravel.com, The 10 Best Caribbean Beaches for a Relaxing Escape
- Oyster.com, The Best Beaches in the Caribbean
- The Ultras 2018 – Ultratravel: Best Hotel in the Americas – runner up
- Oyster.com, 16 Stunning All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- TripsToDiscover.com, 10 Most Romantic Couples Resorts in the Caribbean
- Beach.com, The 20 Best Luxury Hotels in the Caribbean
- US News & World Report, #3 in Best Hotels in St. Lucia
- US News & World Report, #10 in Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Indagare.com, Indagare Picks: The Most Romantic Hotels in the World – For Beach Loving Duos
- Indagare.com, The Most Romantic Destinations Around the World for Honeymoons, Anniversaries and Everything in Between – Americas
- Forbes Travel Guide, ‘Recommended’ rating in Forbes Travel Guide 2019 Star Award Winners
- CNTraveler.com, The Most Beautiful Islands in the Caribbean
- TravelandLeisure.com, The Most Beautiful Spas in Rain Forests Around the World
- VacationIdea.com, 25 Best Romantic Getaways in the Caribbean
- travelandleisure.com, Worlds-best Awards – 25 Best Resorts in the Caribbean
Number of employees