Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train
Scotland, United Kingdom
Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train, Scotland
Venice Simplon-Orient-Express Limited
4B Victoria House, Bloomsbury Square
London, WC1B 4DA, UK
Part of the Belmond Group Ltd collection.
Date of Creation
Launched in May 1985
Train General Manager
From the moment you step onto Royal Scotsman, you are swept up in a world of myth, legend and timeless luxury. Delve into a land of soaring peaks and deep valleys, mirror lochs and looming castles. Enjoy a tasting in a world-famous distillery, then enter the forest for an exhilarating clay pigeon shoot. As night falls, mingle with fellow guests over candlelit dinners and live ceilidhs—a fine finale to the day’s adventures.
Belmond is connoisseurs in the art of luxury trains, hotels and cruises, curating an iconic portfolio worldwide. We blend enchanting destinations with vintage carriages, immersive excursions with delectable cuisine and ultimate comfort with genuine service. Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train, Scotland is one of the most exclusive luxury trains in our collection, accommodating just 40 guests on the ultimate tour of Scotland.
Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train, Scotland
History & Story
The train first launched in 1985. Following a whirlwind five-year operation of award-winning success, the original carriages were retired and replaced by a new set of Pullman cars to be renovated by James Park Associates. Lacquer-polished wooden-panels and warm tonal fabrics perfected the Edwardian country-house appeal. En-suite cabins, complete with steamy showers, established unprecedented comfort and the birth of a luxury legend.
In 2007 the train was christened Royal Scotsman and has continued to raise the bar of style and innovation since. The addition of the Bamford Haybarn Spa carriage marks a world first in the pursuit of perfect pampering. A true chieftain of the rails, Royal Scotsman is an awe-inspiring way to delve into the soul of the Scottish highlands.
Expert craftsmen have tended to the intricate marquetry and elegant design details during the off-season throughout the train’s history of service, ensuring the exquisite carriages maintain their classic charm.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Riding Royal Scotsman is one of those pinch-me moments. Ranking among the world’s most luxurious trains, our mahogany-clad cars marry Edwardian elegance with the comforts of a country house. Ten intricately designed carriages, including the sublime Bamford Spa, form a palace on wheels
Journey to the heart of the highlands and explore the unique heritage of Scotland. Departing from Edinburgh between April and October, set off in luxury to discover ancient castles, glorious gardens and famous distilleries.
– Taste of the Highlands, 2 nights
– Western Scenic Wonders, 3 nights
– Scotland’s Classic Splendours, 4 nights
– Grand Western Scenic Wonders: A combination Scotland’s Classic Splendours and Western Scenic Wonders – 7 nights
– Grand Taste of the Highlands: A combination of Scotland’s Classic Splendours and Taste of the Highlands – 5 nights
– Heritage Homes and Gardens, 4 nights
– Scotch Malt Whisky Trail, 7 nights
– Clans, Castles & Isles, 5 nights
– Grand Tour of Great Britain, 7 nights
• 600 bottles of whisky and 1000 bottles of champagne are consumed during each six month season
• Chef uses an incredible 160 whole Scottish salmon and 1kg of French truffles per year; four tins of Beluga caviar and 10kg of Aberdeen Angus beef per trip
• The galley prepares and cooks around 2700 shortbread biscuits during the season.
• Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train, Scotland is 680ft long including the locomotive and weighs 457 tons
We are delighted to welcome families aboard Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train, Scotland.
Our luxury cabins provide a welcome sanctuary after a day in the Highlands. Lined with rich marquetry, each one features plush beds fitted with soft Scottish wools and tartans. An elegant dressing table and en suite add to the indulgence. Let your mind wander as you gaze through the generous picture window – they’re made for daydreaming. Accommodation types: Twin cabin, Double cabin, Single cabin and interconnecting cabin.
Restaurants & Bars
Snaking through sky-high peaks and dramatic valleys, dining aboard Royal Scotsman is one of the world’s most unique dining experiences. Served in our mahogany-panelled dining cars, each meal celebrates exceptional Scottish produce. A selection of fine wines, liqueurs and malt whiskies are an ideal accompaniment. Feast on the best product from Scottish land and sea. Rich game, seasonal seafood and wild salmon are all regular highlights on our acclaimed menu. Dining is an extravagant affair. Just add superb wines and new friends.
Unwind in one of the most unique spas that Scotland has to offer. Two serene treatment rooms provide a haven of peace, while an exceptional menu of all-natural therapies work to rejuvenate body and mind. Simply sit back, relax, and let our therapists indulge you in the Bamford Haybarn Spa as the striking scenery glides by.
Corporate & Celebration Events
Whether a family celebration, a reward, incentive or entertaining valued clients. Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train, Scotland cannot fail to impress. Expect world-class service, luxury accommodation and fine dining as parties set off on a journey through Scotland’s most awe-inspiring scenery. Explore castles, climb mountains and visit whisky distilleries. When guests charter the train, the choice is completely up to them.
Extra Notable Features
• The Observation and Bar Car is the social hub of the train. Plush armchairs await with the perfect view of ever-changing scenery. Stewards are on hand to offer a range of refreshments and after dinner, the floor becomes a stage for traditional musicians and dramatic performances.
• The open-air veranda is a thrilling accompaniment to an evening aperitif and provides the perfect platform for spotting highland wildlife as the train rolls on.
Number of employees