Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train
Scotland, United Kingdom
Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train, Scotland
Venice Simplon-Orient-Express Limited
4B Victoria House, Bloomsbury Square
London, WC1B 4DA, UK
Part of the Belmond Group Ltd collection.
Date of Creation
Launched in May 1985
Luxury sleeper train
Belmond is connoisseurs in the art of luxury trains, hotels and cruises, curating an iconic portfolio worldwide. We blend enchanting destinations with vintage carriages, immersive excursions with delectable cuisine and ultimate comfort with genuine service. Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train, Scotland is one of the most exclusive luxury trains in our collection, accommodating just 40 guests on the ultimate tour of Scotland.
Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train, Scotland
History & Story
Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train, Scotland rolled into service in May 1985, at the time belonging to the Great Scottish & Western Railway Company.
In 1990 an alternative set of carriages were purchased and transformed to include en-suite cabins, and electric heating, replacing the original carriages to offer new heights of luxury.
Following the rebrand of Orient-Express Trains & Cruises to Belmond on 10 March 2014, the train was renamed Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train, Scotland, and has escorted guests around Scotland’s greatest destinations ever since.
Expert craftsmen have tended to the intricate marquetry and elegant design details during the off-season throughout the train’s history of service, ensuring the exquisite carriages maintain their classic charm.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train, Scotland offers unrivalled indulgence and adventure. Guests will discover the wild wonders of Scotland with award-winning itineraries, including traditional country pursuits such as fishing and shooting, playing golf on one of Scotland’s top courses, or exploring whisky distilleries and historic locations. Aboard the train, our guests enjoy supreme comfort with opulent surrounds, sumptuous cuisine and captivating traditional entertainment. The brand new Bamford Haybarn Spa Car offers relaxation on the move with a range of indulgent treatments, and guests can marvel at the passing landscape from the outdoor observation veranda while enjoying a whisky from the bar. All meals, beverages and excursions are included.
Journey to the heart of the highlands and explore the unique heritage of Scotland. Departing from Edinburgh between April and October, set off in luxury to discover ancient castles, glorious gardens and famous distilleries.
– Taste of the Highlands, 2 nights
– Western Scenic Wonders, 3 nights
– Scotland’s Classic Splendours, 4 nights
– Grand Western Scenic Wonders: A combination Scotland’s Classic Splendours and Western Scenic Wonders – 7 nights
– Grand Taste of the Highlands: A combination of Scotland’s Classic Splendours and Taste of the Highlands – 5 nights
– Heritage Homes and Gardens, 4 nights
– Scotch Malt Whisky Trail, 7 nights
– Clans, Castles & Isles, 5 nights
– Grand Tour of Great Britain, 7 nights
• 600 bottles of whisky and 1000 bottles of champagne are consumed during each six month season
• Chef uses an incredible 160 whole Scottish salmon and 1kg of French truffles per year; four tins of Beluga caviar and 10kg of Aberdeen Angus beef per trip
• The galley prepares and cooks around 2700 shortbread biscuits during the season.
• Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train, Scotland is 680ft long including the locomotive and weighs 457 tons
We are delighted to welcome families aboard Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train, Scotland.
Our inviting en-suite cabins provide a cosy, indulgent space in which to relax and savour the glorious scenery.
There are 15 twins, three double and four single State Cabins and interconnecting cabins in our Sleeping Cars. All have a private bathroom with shower, washbasin and toilet, constant hot water, high-quality toiletries and fresh towels every day.
Lined with rich marquetry, each has been designed to offer the ultimate in luxury travel. Facilities include lower beds, a dressing table, a full-length wardrobe, individually controlled heating, ceiling fans, opening windows and a cabin service call button.
On each bed, there is a foam pillow, a hypoallergenic duvet and quilted cotton bed covers. With the train stabled at night in a quiet siding or station, a good night’s sleep is guaranteed.
Restaurants & Bars
Dining is always a delight aboard Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train, Scotland. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served in the two Dining Cars, Raven seats guests on tables of four and six, setting an intimate tone for dinners with friends and loved ones and Swift offers tables of four.
Regional specialties are created with the best local produce. From hearty Highland breakfasts to the freshest seared fish and melt-in-the-mouth Aberdeen Angus beef, all dishes are freshly prepared onboard the train by a top chef.
Retreat to our airy, wood-clad Bamford Haybarn Spa, a truly unique pampering experience. The Bamford Haybarn Spa offers new heights of luxury for train travel.
Bamford’s bespoke treatments include rejuvenating facials, de-stress and deep tissue massages, and glamourous manicures and pedicures using eco-friendly Kure Bazaar polishes.
Corporate & Celebration Events
Whether a family celebration, a reward, incentive or entertaining valued clients. Royal Scotsman, A Belmond Train, Scotland cannot fail to impress. Expect world-class service, luxury accommodation and fine dining as parties set off on a journey through Scotland’s most awe-inspiring scenery. Explore castles, climb mountains and visit whisky distilleries. When guests charter the train, the choice is completely up to them.
Extra Notable Features
• The Observation and Bar Car is the social hub of the train. Plush armchairs await with the perfect view of ever-changing scenery. Stewards are on hand to offer a range of refreshments and after dinner, the floor becomes a stage for traditional musicians and dramatic performances.
• The open-air veranda is a thrilling accompaniment to an evening aperitif and provides the perfect platform for spotting highland wildlife as the train rolls on.
Number of employees