Venice Simplon-Orient-Express, A Belmond Train Europe departures
Venice Simplon-Orient-Express, A Belmond Train, Europe
Venice Simplon-Orient-Express Limited
4B Victoria House, Bloomsbury Square
London, WC1B 4DA, UK
Part of the Belmond Group Ltd collection.
Date of Creation
Train General Manager
Enter a world of timeless glamour, where each carriage holds a new experience to be discovered. Be wined and dined in meticulously restored 1920s dining cars, before raising sparkling toasts in iconic Bar Car ‘3674’. Between plush cabins and palpable history, an astonishing journey awaits. Navigate through our opulent carriages and discover the wonders that await aboard the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express.
Venice Simplon-Orient-Express, A Belmond Train, Europe
History & Story
The ‘Orient-Express’ was the dream project of a Belgian banker, George Nagelmackers. It made its first journey on 4th October 1883 from Paris to Istanbul and by the 1920’s it was considered the ultimate in luxurious and chic travel. It was the favorite of kings, courtesans, and spies.
In 1977 James B Sherwood, Chairman of Orient-Express Hotels bought two of the run-down carriages at an auction in Monte Carlo. By 1982, he had spent £11 million collecting and restoring the famous train, which to this day, remains one of the most desired travel experiences in the world.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
The legendary Venice Simplon-Orient-Express, A Belmond Train, Europe offers a travel experience unlike any other. Romance, adventure, and pure pleasure are all intimately bound up in journeys that criss-cross Europe between some of the world’s most alluring cities. Guests travel in authentic vintage carriages, evoking the glamorous era of European rail travel in the 1920s and 30s.
Passengers can join in spontaneous conversations in the Bar Car, dine on gourmet dishes prepared in the galley kitchens, and relax in their private cabins while enjoying the passing scenery from their own supremely privileged “window on the world”.
An icon of Art Deco design and an enduring symbol of luxury, the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express travels between some of Europe’s most iconic cities every year from March to November. Your voyage of discovery on these storied carriages brings together aspects of Europe’s extraordinary lineage with the ultimate in style and comfort.
You need only glimpse its gleaming carriages to know that the most memorable journey of your life has begun.
Our classic journeys, operating between March and November, take you to great European cities, including London, Paris, Venice, Prague, Vienna, Rome, and Budapest. Our Signature Journey takes you between Paris and Istanbul.
The British Pullman, A Belmond Train has Day Car seating and will carry you in style between London and the Channel (and vice versa), where you will be escorted by our hosts onto luxury coaches for your 30-minute Eurotunnel shuttle service to Calais, where you will board the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express, A Belmond Train, Europe.
Key sites/activities in the area
Our train takes you to the most vibrant destinations in Europe, from timeless cities such as Venice and Istanbul to the buzzing capital of Paris.
We offer a variety of trips from specific train journeys to inclusive tours which combine a journey on the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express, A Belmond Train, Europe with a stay at the world-famous Cipriani, A Belmond Hotel, Venice in Venice. We can also arrange bespoke itineraries, simply let us know what you would like to do.
In one year, the following are enjoyed on board:
• 3084 bottles of Champagne
• 3225 bottles of French wines
• 4053 bottles of Italian wine
• 3,2 tons of lobsters 24 kg of caviar in recipes
The Venice Simplon-Orient-Express, A Belmond Train, Europe cars are the original 1920s models.
We have several different cabin types:
• Historic Cabins: Take in Europe from your own cosy historic cabin and admire the continent’s ever-changing landscape from your window. Sip coffee and cocktails in private, as a double banquette by day transforms into sleeping berths at night.
• Grand Suite Cars: Experience the golden age of travel with our collection of spacious suites, each hand-restored by celebrated craftspeople from around the continent. Revel with free-flowing champagne in your own private living quarters, resplendent with a plush double bed, ornate fittings, and a private marbled bathroom.
• Suites: Each of our suites is inspired by a fusion of the landscape our train travels through and design from the Art Deco period. Each will immerse guests in diverse European scenery through glorious colours, patterns and textures. Plush fabrics and furnishings channel famed Art Deco designers, such as Dufrene and Lalique. These reimagined suites were fully restored by expert craftsmen in France, and complement the existing Grand Suites and Historic Twins that make up our sumptuous on board experience. Includes: double bed or twin beds, private marble en-suite bathroom and mosaic floor, lounge area by day, as your bed converts to seating area and complimentary amenities including a kimono and slippers to take home.
• Suites: Double & Twin: Our suites boast all the beauty of our historic cabins, but with the added benefit of an en-suite bathroom. Choose between either a double or twin beds, as well as a daytime configuration to relax in. These lavish suites take design cues from the stunning nature our train passes through: forests, mountains, countryside and lakes.
• Bar Car: Welcome to the heart of our train, where bon viveurs meet over cocktails and the twinkling ivories of our resident pianist. By night expect convivial encounters and a Midnight Brunch that winds long into the night.
• Restaurant Cars:
Étoile Du Nord:
The Étoile du Nord dining car was built in 1926 and showcases some of the most storied marquetry in the continental rake. It ran with Étoile du Nord service from Paris, before joining the Lusitania Express from Lisbon to Madrid, and finishing service in the 1970s. Now restored to its former glory, the Étoile du Nord is one of our star carriages.
Famed for its stunning René Lalique glass, the Côte d’Azur dining car was built in 1929 and was for many years a staple of winter journeys between Paris and Calais. By 1961, the carriage found itself in a reserve pool and was stored at the Wagons-Lits works at Villeneuve, until being rescued and restored by Venice Simplon-Orient-Express in 1981.
Built in Birmingham in 1927 in the Etoile du Nord style, the L’Oriental dining car ran a luxurious service between Paris and Amsterdam for many years before joining the famed Lusitania Express. When purchased for the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express, the car was restored and refitted with black lacquer panels befitting of its legendary status.
• Boutique : The on-board boutique offers a range of exclusively designed gifts. Items can be taken directly from the on-board shop or mailed directly to the customer’s home address. The Boutique is usually situated just outside the Lalique Restaurant Car.
Restaurants & Bars
Take your seat in the dining car for the adventure of a lifetime, where extravagant cuisine is served around the clock and live entertainment plays long into the night. Marvel as fresh seasonal supplies are loaded to the train at stops along the journey, and then expertly prepared by world renowned chefs in our onboard kitchen. Meanwhile, in the bar car, bartenders mix elegant cocktails to the sound of our resident pianist, playing requests on the baby grand piano.
The three restaurant cars offer a truly magical dining experience, from scenic lunches to romantic dinners. The “Etoile du Nord” restaurant car is resplendent with its wonderful floral marquetry, the “Côte d’Azur” features stunning Lalique glass panels and the black lacquer decoration in “L’Oriental” strikes an exotic note.
Chef Jean Imbert blends the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express’ rich heritage with his own passion for fresh seasonal produce to create moments of culinary perfection in motion. Redesigning the restaurant’s ambiance and bringing a new level of classical precision to each menu, anticipate a true gourmet journey while travelling between Europe’s most exceptional cities. Cementing existing relationships with local producers while forging new connections with specialist artisans along the route, Jean Imbert transforms the finest ingredients into original menus as the seasons change.
Corporate & Celebration Events
If you’re looking for wow factor, the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express, A Belmond Train, Europe train is unrivalled—it is the perfect venue for any celebration.
We welcome groups of 12 or more passengers on board all of our scheduled departures.
A variety of special arrangements can be made to enhance your experience. These range from musicians at the station and magicians on the train to entertaining murder mystery scenarios and photographers. A bespoke menu and wine selection can be organised, as well as romantic touches such as champagne and flowers in your cabin.
Number of employees