Grantley Hall United Kingdom
Ripon, North Yorkshire, HG4 3ET
Relais & Chateaux
Date of Creation
6th July 2019
Hotel General Manager
Andrew McPherson. Andrew joined the Grantley Hall team two years prior to the hotel’s opening and has hand picked each and every member of the hotel team. He previously held General Manager positions at Lucknam Park, Skibo Castle, Holbeck Ghyll and Swinton Estate.
5 star luxury country house hotel and wellness retreat (Relais & Chateaux)
History & Story
The opening of Grantley Hall as a luxury 5 star hotel and wellness retreat is the beginning of an exciting new chapter for this 17th century Grade II* listed mansion house.
The property has a rich heritage and was originally built by the Norton family. It was passed down through the generations which included Lords, Barons and Members of Parliament before being bought by multimillionaire shipping magnate Sir Christopher Furness. Their son, Marmaduke, was a playboy of his time and eventually sold the house to Sir William Ackroyd, a carpet manufacturer from Bradford who was also High Sherriff of Yorkshire. During his time Grantley Hall entertained Queen Mary in 1937 and was given over to the war effort in WWII as a convalescence home to injured servicemen and proudly welcomed Dame Vera Lynn to sing to the troops.
Upon Sir William’s death the estate was sold to West Riding County Council who ran the Hall as a training centre until the 1990s when it transferred to private ownership. The current owner, Mrs Valeria Sykes, bought Grantley Hall in 2015 transforming the building and grounds into a luxury hotel.
Full renovation and restoration of the existing building and creation of additional buildings was completed over a 4 year period. The owners were personally involved in the interior design and curation of artwork and sculptures displayed throughout the hotel and gardens. .Award winning landscape architect, Alistair Baldwin, recreated the formal gardens and restored the ornamental Japanese Gardens.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Grantley Hall boasts a wonderfully diverse range of dining options from Michelin starred fine dining to modern British to aromatic Pan-Asian – all using the very best Yorkshire produce. Coupled with the hotel’s extensive spa and wellness facilities which cannot be found elsewhere in any luxury hotel in the UK and you have a winning combination of experiences for guests to enjoy.
Set against the stunning backdrop of the Yorkshire Dales, Grantley Hall can be found a mere 4 miles from the market city of Ripon and 10 miles from the delightful spa town of Harrogate. Leeds/Bradford International Airport is only 20 miles away.
Key sites/activities in the area
– Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal
– Brimham Rocks
– Ripon Cathedral
– Newby Hall
– Harewood House
– Historic city of York
– Castle Howard
Grantley Hall sits on a man-made island with the River Skell running down both sides of the 38 acre estate and boasts one of the very first ornamental Japanese Gardens created in England.
Grantley Hall welcomes children aged 8 and above.
• Number of suites: 16
• 4 Junior Suites: 58 sq.m. Large seating areas, views of the parkland setting and bathrooms clad in Italian marble.
• 4 Grand Suites: 66 sq.m. With window seats boasting far reaching views over the formal gardens, and original feature fireplaces. Luxury bathrooms with roll top baths and walk-in wardrobes.
• 6 Superior Suites: 78 sq.m. Exceptionally spacious with separate dining and seating areas. Italian clad bathrooms with private steam rooms.
• One Royal Suite: 100 sq.m. Set over 2 floors with a mezzanine sleeping area and wonderful views of the formal gardens and fountain. A breath-taking room for any couple.
• One Presidential Suite: 128 sq.m. The largest and most luxurious of our suites with a large seating and dining area, views of the River Skell and private steam room.
• Number of Luxury rooms:
• 4 Executive Rooms: 44 sq.m. Located in the Queen Anne wing of The Hall with original fireplaces, window seats and picturesque views of the grounds.
• 26 Deluxe Rooms : 38 square metres. Delightful views, twin or double rooms available, award winning mattresses and luxury bedding.
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 47 rooms and suites in total
• All rooms are fully air conditioned
• Coffee machines, pillow menus, mini bars, free WIFI and complimentary welcome drinks.
• All bathrooms are clad with Italian marble with free standing baths and walk-in showers. Bespoke toiletries created exclusive for Grantley Hall.
Restaurants & Bars
• Shaun Rankin at Grantley Hall, awarded a Michelin star.
Fine dining created by Michelin starred chef, Shaun Rankin. Set in elegant surroundings, serving taster menus showcasing the best of Yorkshire produce. 6 seat Chef’s Table available.
• Fletchers serving modern British cuisine with a hint of a French influence. Set in original building at the heart of the hotel Fletchers is an intimate space offering all day dining and private dining options.
• Bar & Restaurant EightyEight is our vibrant Pan-Asian experience overlooking the Japanese gardens. This is where East meets West and offers authentic Asian flavours, cooked with live fire and robata grills and is complemented by a truly breathtaking cocktail menu and live entertainment at weekends.
• Norton Bar & Courtyard is a quintessential English gentleman’s retreat – with heritage oak panelling feature fireplaces, our very own botanical gin and large selection of whiskies and spirits it offers charm and personality in abundance. The large outdoor courtyard offers al-fresco drinking and dining.
• Valeria’s Champagne & cocktail bar is a subterranean den of intrigue offering a late night option for those wishing to party into the small hours.
• The Drawing Room offers delicious English afternoon tea.
• Three Graces Spa Lounge offers healthy drinks and snacks throughout the day.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Grantley suite accommodates up to 180 guests for banquets and events. Private terrace and bar, fully air conditioned.
• Small meeting rooms available in the Hall.
• Exceptional private dining areas.
• Magnificent grounds for team building and outdoor events.
• Exclusive use available.
Extra Notable Features
• Cryotherapy chamber
• Altitude training and sleeping facilities
• Extensive spa facilities.
• Rhassoul clay treatments
• Thermal experiences
Number of employees